Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Somewhere I saw a discussion of that.
First question - how do you build to a particular resistance with the mesh?

Some questions about the mesh material too - and whether it's a good idea in terms of materials and such...

From the Pushing the Edge of the Envelope File...

f65305af55f5e415e97230a18a6e4a7b.png

Mesh RDA - VANDY VAPE

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
First question - how do you build to a particular resistance with the mesh?

Some questions about the mesh material too - and whether it's a good idea in terms of materials and such...

I suppose you adjust Ohms by how Wide and How Long the Mesh is? That, and I believe you can buy Different Mesh "Densities". At least in SS.

I really have No Clue how Mesh Works? Only that it is an Interesting Concept. And at least on that Vandy Vape RDA, you could run Conventional Coils on it if Mesh was a Train Wreck.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Vandy vapes are selling rolls of mesh like you buy wires ,

Yeah... They offer Kanthal A1, NiChrome 80 and 316SS

maxresdefault.jpg

The FT description says that the 316 is 1.2Ohm/Foot. Not sure how accurate that is? But the Price, at least, seems reasonable...

$3.54 Authentic Vandy Vape SS316 Mesh Wire for Mesh RDA (200-Pack) - 1.2ohm/feet / 5 feet at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

BTW - This Isn't a 200-Pack. It is a #200 Size Mesh.

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
Yeah... They offer Kanthal A1, NiChrome 80 and 316SS

maxresdefault.jpg

The FT description says that the 316 is 1.2Ohm/Foot. Not sure how accurate that is? But the Price, at least, seems reasonable...

$3.54 Authentic Vandy Vape SS316 Mesh Wire for Mesh RDA (200-Pack) - 1.2ohm/feet / 5 feet at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

BTW - This Isn't a 200-Pack. It is a #200 Size Mesh.
Should be good for genny wicks too might need two pieces like rolled but worth having a roll ,

Reactions: zoiDman

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
I suppose you adjust Ohms by how Wide and How Long the Mesh is? That, and I believe you can buy Different Mesh "Densities". At least in SS.

I really have No Clue how Mesh Works? Only that it is an Interesting Concept. And at least on that Vandy Vape RDA, you could run Conventional Coils on it if Mesh was a Train Wreck.

Since you're talking mesh, a few notes from my Cthulhu Ceto experience. I've only been using the 300# SS 304 mesh that came with the atty. I've tried several builds, different diameters and mesh widths, and came to the conclusion that Ceto was not going to do it for me on Coppervape, even the one I converted to 20700 (with high continuous amps). The ramping was still too slow on the smaller mesh build, and I couldn't get the warmth I wanted. Now Ceto stays on Dripbox 160 @ 80-120W.

Ceto is a fantastic vape though. Huge flavorful vapor and super smooth because of the vertical orientation. IMO a horizontal mesh coil in the Vandyvape above doesn't seem attractive to me.

I'm still going to try some Ni80 mesh on Ceto/Coppervape when I get my hands on some. I expect it will ramp faster, and might just get me the warmth I want on the mech squonkers I prefer.

IMAG2894_picmonkeyed.jpg

Looking at this photo reminds me of a surprise benefit of big mesh coils. All that wick holds A LOT of juice, like a small tank's worth. Get the thing fully saturated and squonking is about as infrequent as a BF RDTA.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Since you're talking mesh, a few notes from my Cthulhu Ceto experience. I've only been using the 300# SS 304 mesh that came with the atty. I've tried several builds, different diameters and mesh widths, and came to the conclusion that Ceto was not going to do it for me on Coppervape, even the one I converted to 20700 (with high continuous amps). The ramping was still too slow on the smaller mesh build, and I couldn't get the warmth I wanted. Now Ceto stays on Dripbox 160 @ 80-120W.

Ceto is a fantastic vape though. Huge flavorful vapor and super smooth because of the vertical orientation. IMO a horizontal mesh coil in the Vandyvape above doesn't seem attractive to me.

I'm still going to try some Ni80 mesh on Coppervape when I get my hands on some. I expect it will ramp faster, and might just get me the warmth I want on the mech squonkers I prefer.

View attachment 684275

Looking at this photo reminds me of a surprise benefit of big mesh coils. All that wick holds A LOT of juice, like a small tank's worth. Get the thing fully saturated and squonking is about as infrequent as a BF RDTA.

Yeah... This type of Mesh RDA probably isn't going to be best suited for a Unregulated Mech Squonker.

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills
Ok, it's been a while since I've posted but let's just say when March rolls around, my attention tends to lean toward my other obsession:
XSR900_BrushyMtn.jpg

Then as Autumn creeps ever closer, the pendulum swings and I always catch up on what's new in the vaping/squonk world.

Suffice it to say, this thread has been a deep gold mine for me. I read the whole thing over the last month working night shifts and as a result, my reos made some new friends:

VapeTrio.jpg

Also got up to speed on good choices for bf rdas. After 4 years vaping on the reo/cyclone, I thought it was time to broaden my horizons. Picked up a Narda, Hadaly, Little 16, Speed Revolution, Noname plug in, and a hellfire Viper v2 clone is on the way. The Hadaly and little 16 are authentics but I have also grabbed a shenray halady and a clone little 16.

I took the silver colored CV apart this morning to clean and explore since I wanted to test voltage drop vs the reo. My thanks to Zoidman, Danneh and H00ligan for that discussion earlier in the thread... made things easier. So with a .5Ω coil on the Hadaly, same battery 4.22v, measuring at the post under load while firing, the reo came in with .36 drop and the cv with .39 drop. Not too shabby for a 30 buck mod.

So thanks for the thread and all the useful info. Feels good to be back in the game because
Winter is Coming, heh. Also have a Vt inbox on the way and a Therion on preorder at FT. I plan to take a swing at regulated squonking, might even try the temp control and see what all the fuss is about.

cheers

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I took the silver colored CV apart this morning to clean and explore since I wanted to test voltage drop vs the reo. My thanks to Zoidman, Danneh and H00ligan for that discussion earlier in the thread... made things easier. So with a .5Ω coil on the Halady, same battery 4.22v, measuring at the post under load while firing, the reo came in with .36 drop and the cv with .39 drop. Not too shabby for a 30 buck mod.

Lots of Great Info in this thread posted by Many Members.

Glad to hear you are Enjoying you CV.

Reactions: chohan

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills
Lots of Great Info in this thread posted by Many Members.

Glad to hear you are Enjoying you CV.

Thanks. Indeed it was a fun read. What amazes me after being out of the loop for a over a year, is how popular squonkers seem to be now. For years we were like the weird black sheep and having catfish drill out attys for us. Now a lot of rdas have bf pins and it seems squonking is for cool kids, lol.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... What amazes me after being out of the loop for a over a year, is how popular squonkers seem to be now. For years we were like the weird black sheep and having catfish drill out attys for us. Now a lot of rdas have bf pins and it seems squonking is for cool kids, lol.

Yeah... I give the Kanger DripBox 60w a lot of credit for the Mainstreamism of Squonking.

Because the Kanger DripBox 60w gave people something that was a Complete, Out-of-the-Box Kit, at a Price that was So Cheap it was Very Hard to Not Try One.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread