The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Correct size for 18650 battery wrap

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Dropmyload, Sep 4, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Dropmyload

Dropmyload Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 23, 2017
    So I ordered the following and none of them fit my Sony VCT6 or Samsung 30Q. My wraps need changing...anyone know which ones are the right size? Batteries were bought from Liionwholesale so should be legit.

$2.19 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap - 5000*29.5mm / 18mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$2.19 18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap - 5000*29.5mm / 18mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$1.46 18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap (10 Pieces) 10-pack - each style ships two at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping (there aren't even tube shaped, one end is narrower than the other!)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Winblows

Winblows Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 10, 2017
    Copenhagen (UTC+1)
    Flatten the edges of the new PVC and remove carefully the old wrap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    What Winblows said. Not all battery wraps are the same. Some will overwrap, but you have to put your finger inside and flatten out the edges where they were compressed to fit in a box before they will slide on. I really like clear wraps that fit over existing wraps.

Some mods aren't really compatible with over-wrapped cells, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Those all look like they would work for 18650 Batteries. Although some FT Battery Wraps are Very Tight to slide over a Bare Cell.

Just me. But unless you have a Small Warehouse full of Batteries to wrap, I would but the Wraps Pre-Cut verses on a Roll.

I have used a Lot of these...

Wraps - 18650 Wraps - IMRbatteries.com

... and they work Very Well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
  6. Dropmyload

Oct 23, 2017
  7. DaveP

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Some are designed to replace the original wrap and others are designed for overwrapping.

The ones below are:
    Length : 74mm
    Color Black/Clear/Blue/Green/Red/Yellow/Orange/White
    Shrinking temperature : 80℃
    Shrinkage ratio : 48%
    Flat diameter : 29.5mm (before shrinkage)
    Shrink diameter : approx. 18.5mm
    Wall thickness : 0.1mm (before shrinkage)

https://www.amazon.com/Ninth-City-280Pcs-Battery-Assorted-Storage/dp/B016F50SJG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536151570&sr=8-4&keywords=18650+battery+wraps+pre+cut

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. KenD

KenD Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DaveP

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    :) My mistake. Good catch! The Amazon copy does state 29.5mm before shrink, 18.5mm after shrink, and 74mm length. Edited.

• Like Like x 3
  10. untar

untar Vaping Master

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    29.5mm flat width only leaves 0.2mm of space in all directions when sliding the wrap over. If you got an old wrap under that it might be too tight. 31-31.5mm is a safer bet (coincidentally that's what I use :D).

The calculation for flat width goes
    -take half the diameter of your battery (radius r, best to control the actual value with calipers if you overwrap)
    -add how much wiggle room you want (wiggle room w, eg 0.5mm in all directions is what I go with)
    -then multiply (r+w)*pi
    That's your flat width, works for all our batteries, so if you need 2X700 or 26650 wraps you can use that same formula. Then if you got 5m of wrap on a roll you'll figure out the length you need/want pretty quickly.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DaveP

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I usually order my wraps when I order batteries. I've used wraps from imrbatteries.com and rtdbatteries.com with good success in overwrapping. I usually use the clear wraps so I can see the original markings on the battery. I don't know the dimensions, but obviously they are buying and reselling the ones that fit for overwraps.

• Like Like x 2
  12. untar

untar Vaping Master

Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    I buy from a big electronics supplier, not vape shops. They don't know about single 18650 wraps but they have all kinds of shrink wrap in all kinds of sizes with all kinds of thickness (so ultra thin or ultra rugged are options).

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. DaveP

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I've always ordered mine from a battery supplier. I just looked at IMRBatteries.com and theirs are Size: 74 x 30 x .1mm. The size is fine for single wrap or overwrap.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hawise

Hawise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    How don't they fit? Can you describe how you're trying to put them on the batteries and which dimension isn't fitting? Is it that you can't slide the battery into the tube?

Is this more-or-less what you're doing:
    • With the 5 m wraps, cut off 70 - 74 mm of wrap.
    • Open the wrap so it becomes a tube.
    • Flatten the folds on either side of the tube.
    • Slide the battery into the tube.

Sorry if this sounds overly simplistic. I'm just trying to get a clearer idea of what's going on.

15. Dropmyload

Oct 23, 2017
    I'll post a video. Wraps are too small wrt circumference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.