ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
What Winblows said. Not all battery wraps are the same. Some will overwrap, but you have to put your finger inside and flatten out the edges where they were compressed to fit in a box before they will slide on. I really like clear wraps that fit over existing wraps.

Some mods aren't really compatible with over-wrapped cells, though.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So I ordered the following and none of them fit my Sony VCT6 or Samsung 30Q. My wraps need changing...anyone know which ones are the right size? batteries were bought from Liionwholesale so should be legit.

$2.19 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap - 5000*29.5mm / 18mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$2.19 18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap - 5000*29.5mm / 18mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$1.46 18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap (10 Pieces) 10-pack - each style ships two at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping (there aren't even tube shaped, one end is narrower than the other!)

Those all look like they would work for 18650 Batteries. Although some FT Battery Wraps are Very Tight to slide over a Bare Cell.

Just me. But unless you have a Small Warehouse full of Batteries to wrap, I would but the Wraps Pre-Cut verses on a Roll.

I have used a Lot of these...

Wraps - 18650 Wraps - IMRbatteries.com

... and they work Very Well.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
But the 29.5mm wraps dont seem to fit my batteries.

Some are designed to replace the original wrap and others are designed for overwrapping.

The ones below are:
Length : 74mm
Color Black/Clear/Blue/Green/Red/Yellow/Orange/White
Shrinking temperature : 80℃
Shrinkage ratio : 48%
Flat diameter : 29.5mm (before shrinkage)
Shrink diameter : approx. 18.5mm
Wall thickness : 0.1mm (before shrinkage)

https://www.amazon.com/Ninth-City-2...0&sr=8-4&keywords=18650+battery+wraps+pre+cut

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: stols001

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Surely they must be over 65mm to fit 18650s

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

:) My mistake. Good catch! The Amazon copy does state 29.5mm before shrink, 18.5mm after shrink, and 74mm length. Edited.

Product description
Durable design
Length : 74mm
Color Black/Clear/Blue/Green/Red/Yellow/Orange/White
Shrinking temperature : 80℃
Shrinkage ratio : 48%
Flat diameter : 29.5mm (before shrinkage)
Shrink diameter : approx. 18.5mm
Wall thickness : 0.1mm (before shrinkage)

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
29.5mm flat width only leaves 0.2mm of space in all directions when sliding the wrap over. If you got an old wrap under that it might be too tight. 31-31.5mm is a safer bet (coincidentally that's what I use :D).

The calculation for flat width goes
-take half the diameter of your battery (radius r, best to control the actual value with calipers if you overwrap)
-add how much wiggle room you want (wiggle room w, eg 0.5mm in all directions is what I go with)
-then multiply (r+w)*pi
That's your flat width, works for all our batteries, so if you need 2X700 or 26650 wraps you can use that same formula. Then if you got 5m of wrap on a roll you'll figure out the length you need/want pretty quickly.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
29.5mm flat width only leaves 0.2mm of space in all directions when sliding the wrap over. If you got an old wrap under that it might be too tight. 31-31.5mm is a safer bet (coincidentally that's what I use :D).

The calculation for flat width goes
-take half the diameter of your battery (radius r, best to control the actual value with calipers if you overwrap)
-add how much wiggle room you want (wiggle room w, eg 0.5mm in all directions is what I go with)
-then multiply (r+w)*pi
That's your flat width, works for all our batteries, so if you need 2X700 or 26650 wraps you can use that same formula. Then if you got 5m of wrap on a roll you'll figure out the length you need/want pretty quickly.

I usually order my wraps when I order batteries. I've used wraps from imrbatteries.com and rtdbatteries.com with good success in overwrapping. I usually use the clear wraps so I can see the original markings on the battery. I don't know the dimensions, but obviously they are buying and reselling the ones that fit for overwraps.

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
So I ordered the following and none of them fit my Sony VCT6 or Samsung 30Q. My wraps need changing...anyone know which ones are the right size? Batteries were bought from Liionwholesale so should be legit.

$2.19 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap - 5000*29.5mm / 18mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$2.19 18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap - 5000*29.5mm / 18mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$1.46 18650 Battery Sleeve PVC Heat Shrinkable Tube Wrap (10 Pieces) 10-pack - each style ships two at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping (there aren't even tube shaped, one end is narrower than the other!)

How don't they fit? Can you describe how you're trying to put them on the batteries and which dimension isn't fitting? Is it that you can't slide the battery into the tube?

Is this more-or-less what you're doing:
  • With the 5 m wraps, cut off 70 - 74 mm of wrap.
  • Open the wrap so it becomes a tube.
  • Flatten the folds on either side of the tube.
  • Slide the battery into the tube.

Sorry if this sounds overly simplistic. I'm just trying to get a clearer idea of what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread