Correlation between surface area and clouds in builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeegsD

Apr 4, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Just a little something to think about, everyone seems to have a different opinion when asked what their favorite cloud chasing build is. But what makes a build produce more vapor than others? Is surface area an important factor? Could the ratio between surface area of your coils to resistance be something to consider? It seems like there is very little number crunching on the topic of builds when really it could be done. Or am I wrong and it isn't something that could be done and we will never pass the point of builds being as subjective as they currently are?

It may also be important to note that we do have some numbers in terms of wire gauges and types and how their resistance changes at certain temperatures, but not an easy to read thread on when to use what wire and why. Maybe that's something that could be made?

Just a little something I thought could spark a discussion.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So if larger surface area yields more flavor, how does it affect cloud production? Same goes for more wraps vs less wraps.

I Dunno?

I'm a Flavor Chaser. So I tend to use thing that have More Restrictive Draws and Reduced Chambers. All of which is Not very conducive to making Large Clouds.

It would seem that if one is Looking for Clouds, than a "Hotter" coil is the way to go. So Maybe Less Wraps is the way to go?

KeegsD

Apr 4, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
I Dunno?

I'm a Flavor Chaser. So I tend to use thing that have More Restrictive Draws and Reduced Chambers. All of which is Not very conducive to making Large Clouds.

It would seem that if one is Looking for Clouds, than a "Hotter" coil is the way to go. So Maybe Less Wraps is the way to go?

That makes sense, the point I'm trying to make though is that having less wraps would cover less surface area and produce less vapor. For example right now I am using a 0.15ohm 22g Kanthal A1 5 wrap. It heats up crazy fast but vapor production isn't huge, which I am hypothesizing may be due to surface area. Maybe I should use a wire that can have more wraps while maintaining that low resistance to keep that quick heat up time while covering more? It just seems like this perspective on coil building isn't one I see on the forum often and I was curious as to why that might be. It makes sense to me anyway.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That makes sense, the point I'm trying to make though is that having less wraps would cover less surface area and produce less vapor. For example right now I am using a 0.15ohm 22g Kanthal A1 5 wrap. It heats up crazy fast but vapor production isn't huge, which I am hypothesizing may be due to surface area. Maybe I should use a wire that can have more wraps while maintaining that low resistance to keep that quick heat up time while covering more? It just seems like this perspective on coil building isn't one I see on the forum often and I was curious as to why that might be. It makes sense to me anyway.

Man... That's a Awfully Low build. I hope you are Not doing it on a Single Battery Mech Mod.

Have you tried Building a little Higher using a Thinner Wire?

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
So the trick is to get a low enough amount of wraps for a lower resistance and faster heat up time, but still with an adequate amount of surface area for enough wick to give enough juice. Also huge airflow, higher wattage, higher vg in the juice. There's a lot that goes into it, and I don't think we've got it to an exact science yet. I think that's what's with all the crazy coil builds nowadays, to try and find that one perfect cloud chasing build.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Maximum surface area, minimum mass, lots of power.
Yep.

Boden made a couple of threads about efficiency/wire gauge.
There:
Wire/coil gauge efficiency testing
And there:
So you think you can design a coil?

This is a great read for the general understanding of resistance/surface area/failures of using "mech logic":
My thoughts about sub-ohm and latest VV/VW devices...

The essence here is that thick wire is counter productive. Thinner wire coils will have both, less mass plus more wick to coil contact area.
If you use a Mech and need to build low; use thinner wire in parallel. Or triple/quadruple parallel, depending on where you want your resistance to end up.

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
LNS6ZgA.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread