Help a newb with wicking rda for clouds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlwiseman

Jan 11, 2015
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to rda's. I really wanna start chuckin some clouds. I've tried tons of different builds on my rda using steam engine as a guide to get the most surface area for a given resistance and heat flux. But I can't seem to get it right with the wicking. I get burnt hit anytime I go higher than 4.2v regardless of the coil resistance. I've been building around the 0.3 ohm range. Anything above 40w gives me a burnt hit. The best setup I've made to date was a dragon setup with 1.5mm coils, 26ga. But it still does it over 45w. But has a decent cloud at 40w. So, here's what I have laying around, give me some pointers or ideas for a build to throw some clouds.

sigelei 150w
Vaporking Twister rda, 3 post
22,24,26 & 32ga kanthal
Japanese organic cotton sheets
Organic cotton balls
1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3mm coil jigs

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Hey brother after a few years of cloud chasing, I've learned that the best wicking method is to wick THROUGH the coil (not packed tight though, that could get toasty), and tuck the lightest, fluffiest cotton "cloud" directly UNDER the coil as well, just enough to absorb juice and touch the bottom of the coil.

(I've been using this method forever now because when you use the BIG power to make those clouds, when wicked lightly through and under, it never overheats, it just makes dense, rich vapor. The only time it may burn is when you run out of juice, but this method is effective at using every last drop, it's the only way I vape personally.)

Kinda like this:
bJhu9UR.jpg

Parahdox

Mar 10, 2015
First off, itll give you the burnt throat hit thatll make you cough if you didnt wick it correctly or if theres a htspot and the main way to get a hotspot out is pulse your coil red hot til its even. I personally use either 22g or 24g at about .2-.35 for cloud chasing. Also make sure your air holes are all the way open, the more airflow the cooler the vapor the bigger the clouds. Happy Chasing.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
When you are trying to really bump up the wattage or run low resistance a larger coil ID is pretty helpful as well, most of my builds that are 0.12 ohms or lower use a 3mm coil ID, but I have had success with builds down to 2mm ID in that resistance range. The larger the coil ID the larger your wick will be which will carry more juice to the coils.

Step 1 - Use Rayon (I've had the best possible performance with Rayon, personal preference)
Step 2 - Wick it slightly tighter than cotton
Step 3 - Use the same method outlined by Treehead above to position your wick(s)

If you get everything right with the wicking you should be able to juice the build up and fire it with the RDA cap off for a good 3-5 seconds without seeing any glowing orange coils or smelling anything burnt in any way.

I've pushed builds over 250W with those simple steps without burnt hits, once you get the proper density of wick material it's all a balance of airflow, coil size, coil positioning and RDA chamber size.

LVixen

Verified Member
Jul 5, 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread