Cosmetic Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hi I had a crazy idea and was wondering if someone could help me make this work.....

I wanted to add EL wire to the outside of a Hammond 1590g enclosure and need some help going about it. I'm powering the DNA200 chip with a Venom 3s 11.1v 1800mah 20c lipo battery. Can someone help me please!!

Welcome to ECF!
    Are you sure you can wrap that EL wire around corners and still have it work properly? If yes, you'll need the DC-to-AC converter inside your box to power the wire amd some way to connect it all. Post links to the wire if you have them. Umm...this is all assuming you mean electroluminescent when you say EL. :)

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

FromOblivion

Aug 14, 2015
    Welcome to ECF!
    Are you sure you can wrap that EL wire around corners and still have it work properly? If yes, you'll need the DC-to-AC converter inside your box to power the wire amd some way to connect it all. Post links to the wire if you have them. Umm...this is all assuming you mean electroluminescent when you say EL. :)
    Yea Electroluminescent wire. Yea it can wrap around corners, they use it on clothing, just wondering about the dc-ac converter thing? would I have to make it and where would I connect it to the DNA200 chip? or through the battery directly?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Check out Adafruit. They carry EL wire and an inverter. Maybe Sparkfun or SeeedStudio too. The Adafruit inverter runs off 5V-6V though so you would need a voltage regulator to bring the battery voltage down to 5V or find a different inverter. Perhaps one that could take 9V-12.6V in.

You could share the battery's connection to the dna board if you have room. Otherwise take your inverter (or the 5V regulator for the inverter) connections directly from the battery. Probably better directly from the battery...more room.

FromOblivion

Aug 14, 2015
    Check out Adafruit. They carry EL wire and an inverter. Maybe Sparkfun or SeeedStudio too. The Adafruit inverter runs off 5V-6V though so you would need a voltage regulator to bring the battery voltage down to 5V or find a different inverter. Perhaps one that could take 9V-12.6V in.

You could share the battery's connection to the dna board if you have room. Otherwise take your inverter (or the 5V regulator for the inverter) connections directly from the battery. Probably better directly from the battery...more room.
    Thanks got a lot of info from those sites. gonna make my own board and fit it in to the box

Reactions: Mooch
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread