Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Thank you for sharing your story. I, too, lost my Mother and younger sister to lung cancer. I figured I was next, and started vaping again, my third try, in February 2013. Vaping didn't work for me in 2009 and again in 2011. I needed the stronger gear, longer batteries, decent toppers and some pretty strong juice to start. 2013....so many improvements, and I had an attitude about making it work, and not caring what the costs are/were. Maybe I should have cared, though. My smoking habit was $120 per week, and I'll easily spend more than that on vaping gear my first year. Of course, I'm heavily into the hobby side now, and do have some very nice gear, and I do love vaping ever so much! Welcome to the Forum, congrats on quitting smoking. Good luck in your VapeQuest! Power up and vape on, brother!

And I like to point out - your biggest cost is going to be in rechargeable batteries, so I suggest you invest in a couple of these:

1382500-4.jpg

http://fasttechcdn.com/products/138/1382500/1382500-4.jpg

Can you put up a link to one of these? I have a friend who has been looking but can't find it.

freeatlast!

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2013
Kansas, USA
kestra.zenfolio.com
Billy, thanks from me, too, for sharing your story. I am so sorry you lost your mother the way you did. I too have way too many friends and family who have died or otherwise had their health compromised because they smoked. It's taken me way too long to stop smoking and I probably still would be smoking if I hadn't come across ECF and discovered a better way than the cigalikes. I will always be grateful to ECF and to the basic little eGo from a convenience store that I decided to try even though I thought it was pretty strange. But it worked for me!!

My best wishes to you and your family! Keep in touch!

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
I've read a couple threads about how much this costs, and how much we spend. I'd like to share something personal I've avoided completely now, to put it in perspective. Warning, this is not going to be a happy post, it involves some very serious and sad issues. A lot of time is spent here sharing our discoveries of gear and juices and the positive benefits of vaping, but less the health aspects. It's fine, but I need to share this, for a lot of reasons.

So, here we go. The REAL reason I'm vaping, and very happy about doing it, is from the experiences in my life in 2012. I was the primary caretaker for my mother, who was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer, which, if you know anything about lung cancer, it's a death sentence.

I won't go into details, it's still painful, and personal, and not fun to write, or for you to read, but I will say this: after going through what I did, I don't care about the cost. ANYTHING that stops me from smoking cigarettes is a good thing, and I'll pay whatever it costs. I tried gum, patches, hypnosis, and cold turkey, nothing worked. It's an extremely addiction to quit, we all know it, even in the best of times. So I tried e-cigs, and have accepted that I'm still a nicotine addict, but the delivery method is infinitely better and safer for my health, which is more important than the smell, or taste, or cost.

I smoked for a long time, and heavily towards the end, so I'm not safe from cancer myself, but every cigarette I don't smoke is a step towards not going through what Mom did. My opinion on smoking changed throughout it all, it's not a hatred of the smokers, it's a hatred of the product, and a need to remove it from my life.

The health benefits so far outweigh the costs, it's not even a debate. Don't get too wrapped up in the costs, if you take any advice from me, that would be it. Your life, and NOT getting cancer, is worth every penny you have, trust me on that. Again, I don't care how much it costs. It's worth every penny, and more.

If you read this, thanks for reading. I'm not looking for sympathy, I want to just share that this is more than just a hobby for me.

Hi Billy,

I am sorry for your loss.

The sadness in this post made it feel very wrong to "like" it. However I did because the advice you gave is exceptional. I can only imagine how difficult it was for you to post this, please know that if your story or advice help even one person, then sharing it was worth it.

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
I needed to take a moment and talk about the real reasons I started this. It helped! :) Getting it out is always better than keeping it in, and there's a little guilt from enjoying it so much, I have to keep reminding myself, it's okay to enjoy it! Thanks everyone. I know moving forward, I am going to stress the health benefits to my friends and family that still smoke, along with the other benefits!

Sane Asylum

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Maryland, USA
Thank you so much for sharing.

Yeah, there are people out there who use cost considerations when deciding to vape or not. The real reality is that it is cheaper in the long run. However, I think most of people who have switched to vaping are doing it because of health reasons and if even if it were more expensive than smoking, they would still make the switch if it worked. Cost was never a consideration for myself and maybe I'm wrong about other vapers but I do know I'm just so glad I'm not smoking.

lilfarmer

Nov 25, 2013
Southwest, Wa
thank you for sharing your story about your mom..Mine was my best friend and when they found a spot on her lungs in 1998 of course it was a death sentence to the rest of my family. I am happy to report mom lived till 2003 and imho didn't die of lung cancer because the spot never changed but complications of dementia and spinal fractures. I spent 8 good years with mine but I miss her every day. As a new vapor and a long time lurker here, my hats off to all who share and care to make a difference so that us newbies can find our way...

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

Impulso

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocklin, ca
Agreed 100%. I too have found that the initial costs far outweigh the costs of continued smoking, but as the days go by, it gets cheaper, the more you get into building your own coils, and creating your own juices(which I have not at this point). The health benefits as you stated, is not something you can put a value on.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
One of my first purchases was the ego-c starter kit.

I never used it much after trying it; its also really a system for sampling eliquids, I would say; I think thats what it was really designed for.

But now the ego-cc has come out and I'd really like to get one of those.. For the first time it seems they designed a system with actual design for airflow whereas many systems except the cigalikes have teeny tiny holes scractched in somewhere as if an afterthought.

OldSeer

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Sun's Shadow, USA
Never enough can these true words of REMEMBERANCES be shared
that tell the difference of pains and life's sufferings caused by cigarettes (smoking)
versus the simple mists of vaporizations.

Like the beautiful Mother told about here... years ago, my loving Sweetheart, best friend, pal, my gal, my wife
was taken by cancer... and smoking had a great deal to do with it... And, my lonesomeness... for her
has never stop growing... Thank God for ECF... and others helping others... to learn about Vaping.

bueno1955

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
Colorado Springs, Co USA
I am right there with you. My mother Passed away in 2007 at the age of 51 from Lung Cancer. From Diagnosis to her passing was 11 months of surgeries and chemo/Radiation. I tried several times to quit with No success..... I had given up and finally I found vaping and have not had a cigarette in 3 months thanks to my vaping. I feel much better I know I already did damage but I can feel the difference in my health and pray every day to keep off the smokes so my daughters 17 & 13 do not go through what I had to with my mom.....
Enough sadness. Congrats on finding vaping and best wishes. Prayers to you and your family.

yankeewoodsman

Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
I completely understand and sympathize with what you're saying. My push was my father who passed from the same cancer as your mother. He wanted to go at home, so my brothers and I made the trip to Mississippi to care for him personally in his last few weeks. Watching the last gasps come out of a man I once considered invincible is something that will never leave my mind.

I applaud your will to change, and the fact that you were able to take something so life alteringly negative, and use it to fuel such powerful, life affirming change

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Even if long term vaping cost as much as long term smoking does, not counting health concerns, I get so much more pleasure and satisfaction out of a good vape, and sharing that vape with friends, then one could ever think of getting from smoking, makes the whole vape experience worth it.

I believe vape is a smokers best hope for quitting for good. It is so easy to quit smoking by using vape, that if feels like I am cheating, No physical or mental trauma or withdrawals, no bad attitude, and .....iness. In fact have been a happier and more positive person since I started to vape.

Thank you for your inspirational sharing and honesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread