Cotton a good cart filler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waveho

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
I haven't found any good source of plain combed wool, and I don't like the fact that the new carts are glued down inside--the glue breaks off when disturbed and I am not excited about atomizing and inhaling glue. So I've begun dripping after removing the wool batting/wicking inside the carts and replacing with cotton.

My question is whether I'm doing something wrong in simply stuffing the carts with pure cotton as the batting inside the carts? It seems to work quite well and the cotton has not been sticking to the atomizer so far. I know a lot of folks have been using aquarium filters, acrylic, or other man-made poly fibers for the new batting material. I just wasn't keen on using a man-made polymer, etc. material and wanted to use something "organic." So......I'm using cotton. Does anyone have any more info on best batting material, or has anyone else used cotton? Any pitfalls? Any comments from more experienced vapers would be very welcome! Thanks!

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Maybe this is a stupid question but has anyone ever used the replacement cig ..../filters at smoke shops that people use to roll thier own smokes? Couldn't you just use that material to soak up e-liquid?

Not a stupid question at all. I don't recall anyone mentioning that. It might be worth a look see.

waveho

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
I'd thought about that too, but the cig butts are another man-made textile and I'd like to be as "organic" as possible in this venture, and I'm thinking that the Chinese chose wool instead of the plentiful poly-stuffing as a wicking agent for some real reason. I'm thinking that the poly stuffing has been tending to stick to the atty, but I also think that inhaling essentially smoldering plastic is probably not a good idea, so I'm not going that route. Cotton seems to work ok so I'd like to see if others also worked with that.

waveho

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Update on the cotton wicking experiment--I've tried to use cotton all day today by stuffing some empty carts with the stuff and adding a goody amount of Johnson's Creek juice. But I think I'd consider this experiment a general failure and here's why: I get a burning taste very quickly after some very good initial vapor. Even rewetting with more juice, the vapor is short-lived. I started to draw for a longer period of time to generate some short-term good vapor, but then it quickly dies off, getting no vapor at all. I also just burned out my first atty in doing this procedure, and I think it's because I was pulling too hard for too long. So chalk this up to a good idea, but not successful. I'm going to revive my search for wool fiber, but may settle for just getting some wool yarn and cutting and stuff that. But cotton is not a good wicking agent at least for the rn4081.

Sydesteppa

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
First things first I HAVE NOT TRIED IT.

I have read that cotton is a bit too heavy and does not absorb the juice as well as something like poly fill batting. (get it at any craft store. 2 bucks for a years supply of carts). Ive heard cotton tends to burn up and produce an unplesent taste after a short while.

As for the cig butts, i immagine they would be awful as the draw would be very hard once put in a cart. Also they are not designed to hold liquid and only to filter smoke itself. I doubt it would work well at all. Allthough if you want to give it a try,

If you were to buy rolling filters, (get slim or ultra slim) you could probably find something that would fit quite well.

Jules22871

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2009
Maybe this is a stupid question but has anyone ever used the replacement cig ..../filters at smoke shops that people use to roll thier own smokes? Couldn't you just use that material to soak up e-liquid?

I wonder what cig filters are made of. Never took one apart. Hmmm, guess what I'm getting ready to do!

I'm not crazy about that white plastic icky looking stuff that is in a new cart either. I always take the filler out of a new cart and get rid of all that stuff before I use. A pair of suture removal scissors or cuticle scissors work very well for this.

I use a poly fiber pillow filler in mine. Make sure it isn't the fire ......ant one as that one does have some kind of chemical treatment that makes it fire ......ant.

I would think cotton would be to absorbent and wouldn't wick well. I use them to clean my face and I can never squeeze anything out of them.

dee5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Northwest Arkansas
I have tried taking apart a "roll your own" filtered cig tube and using the filter in my e-cig. After finally getting the right size and filling it with lots of juice I can tell you, fagedaboutit! The filter holds alot of juice but after a few good vapes it just won't let any more go. This stuff is super absorbent and that juice just stays in there. I use the poly fil pillow stuffing only now and it works really well. The atomizer doesn't get hot enough to melt it. After a few days though, it does seem to pack down and then I just replace it. Cheap and easy!

waveho

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009

Thanks for the link to that thread--still learning my way around here. Love the talk about "teabagging" the filters! :evil:
Long thread, lots of good info. Still, there seems to be a huge opportunity for someone, somewhere, to create the perfect pre-made wicking for ecigs. So far I've gleaned the following:

paper, cotton, and analog cig filters: NO!

Most are happy with poly fill with no flame ......ant, though many seem to love "tea bagging." Love that... :) Bad boys and girls :) But seems to be a lot of work and I'm still confused on how to best use tea bags for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread