Cotton and flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Vito

Feb 13, 2018
I did a thorough search on the forum but all I seem to find is if people are putting too much or too little of cotton, and my question is more about how too much or too little affects flavor. I just did a rebuild and put a lot less cotton, well not a lot less, maybe 1/4 less of what I’ve been typically doing as far as thickness, and probably a good 2/3 shorter so it just touches the bottom of the deck. What I am experiencing is a fairly noticeable difference in vapor production, vapor density, and flavor seems to be slightly better. I think I may have been choking my coils prior, pretty tight resistance getting the cotton through them, which I guess makes sense that that could cut off the flavor. How has your guys experiences been with fooling around with your wicks? (Funny if you rhyme that)

Reactions: stols001

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
If you don't use enough thru coil you will get dry hits and a bit more popping. If you use to much, you won't get as much juice flowing, so you have to experiment on fine tuning it. For me , I find the tail lenghts and density to effect the vape just as much as the correct amounts in coil. Most likely if your using cotton and smaller ID coils, tail widths might not be an issue, but if your using large ID coils, some tanks might require you trimming down the density of tails. Also tail lenght is really important in certain tanks and must be cut to the proper lenght to be optimal. Also if one is vaping low wattages, they can get away with less cotton thru coil, but if your vaping much higher wattages, one might need a bit more. Same with a dripper, if one is constantly keeping wick very saturated, you might get away with less, but perhaps with a certain rta that doesn't wick as well, less cotton may sizzle if you don't have enough....each tank requires knowledge of its optimal wick configurations and it just takes time to find that perfect sweet spot. I use rayon, which requires a bit more thru coil and because of that, the wick tails are really fluffy and larger then cotton. These rayon tails usually have to be trimmed down in alot of rta's , so they don't overstuff the channels

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Wicking can change flavor a lot. I actually had best results with rayon, but too much cotton in the coil can cause breakage, I found out. I actually underwick compared to what I was using and get much better results. I do think in some ways a rayon wick can be more forgiving. As far as thinning and trimming the tails, I do a fair bit of it (also somewhat dependent on the tank). Good luck with your expermimentation.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Wicking can change flavor a lot. I actually had best results with rayon, but too much cotton in the coil can cause breakage, I found out. I actually underwick compared to what I was using and get much better results. I do think in some ways a rayon wick can be more forgiving. As far as thinning and trimming the tails, I do a fair bit of it (also somewhat dependent on the tank). Good luck with your expermimentation.

Anna
I’d be trying rayon I think except I’ve got this gigantic bag of Japanese cotton. At the one pad a week rate I seem to be going through it I should be ready to try rayon sometime around 2025 :/

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I’d be trying rayon I think except I’ve got this gigantic bag of Japanese cotton. At the one pad a week rate I seem to be going through it I should be ready to try rayon sometime around 2025 :/

Can relate in that I tried just about every wicking that came down the pike my first 3 years or so in vaping... and have mountains of them left over that are never to be used again. A try it, like it (for the moment) and buy up a bunch of it mentality I found to be all too common with vape gear.

There were many tried those years, including... Rayon (CelluCotton) didn't work for me, but it does wick fast) and before it KGD that I still have almost a full box of. Now days for cotton I currently am using up a large supply of CBV2, mostly in mesh RDA's that take a bunch of it for every build, and in a few other RDA's that are still in use sometimes.

But my 'flavor wicks' for about the last 3.5 years have been RxW, a no fuss no muss wicking that works very well in almost any rebuildable atty. It lasts for a very long time (could even be reused), and you can dry burn the coils without removing it to clean them and the RxW. Just wrap your coils the right diameter for the size of RxW you are using, thread and vape.

READYxWICK

The down side is RxW is only available to US vapers.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Can relate in that I tried just about every wicking that came down the pike my first 3 years or so in vaping... and have mountains of them left over that are never to be used again. A try it, like it (for the moment) and buy up a bunch of it mentality I found to be all too common with vape gear.

There were many tried those years, including... Rayon (CelluCotton) didn't work for me, but it does wick fast) and before it KGD that I still have almost a full box of. Now days for cotton I currently am using up a large supply of CBV2, mostly in mesh RDA's that take a bunch of it for every build, and in a few other RDA's that are still in use sometimes.

But my 'flavor wicks' for about the last 3.5 years have been RxW, a no fuss no muss wicking that works very well in almost any rebuildable atty. It lasts for a very long time (could even be reused), and you can dry burn the coils without removing it to clean them and the RxW. Just wrap your coils the right diameter for the size of RxW you are using, thread and vape.

Cleaning

READYxWICK

So it's worth the money? Been thinking of trying the RxW.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
So it's worth the money? Been thinking of trying the RxW.

Everything vape related is subjective, so personal preference. I don't remember anyone who said that they didn't get stellar flavor with RxW though.

If you beak down the cost into the number of wicks you can get out of a foot of it (depending on the attty used in), IMO the price is give-away when a small piece of it can be used for months upon months without replacing it. While many of my mods/atty's are seldom or are not ever used anymore, I have single or dual RxW builds in many of them that have been in them for 2 to over 3 years that would only take being primed with joose to bring them back to their former glory instantly. IOW, I cleaned them, put them away but could use them again in short order if I ever wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread