Status
Not open for further replies.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
I accidentally hit the fire button on my grand/RM2 with a dry cotton wick in it. Needless to say, it went up in smoke and flames....literally. I tweezered out the burnt cotton and then dry fired the ( Nichrome micro) coil to get any cotton fuzzies out of the coil but the coil curled up and melted three of the eight wraps together.:shock: Anyone ever see a coil curl up and melt? Can anyone explain this?

Battery never got hot and the spring didn't collapse. Only thing I can think of is that I didn't get all the cotton out of the inside of the coil and there was enough left over inside the micro coil to cause excessive heat.

P.S. In the interest of "science", I built another coil, threw it on the atty, wicked it, wet it, held my breath, closed my eyes, pressed the button.......... and it worked fine.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I've heard of something akin to this 3 times in the last two weeks. Always Nichrome. Maybe a quality thing? A poorly mixed batch? Didn't sift the metals before combining in a mixing bowl?

Anyway, I've heard of micros being referred to as a controlled short. I've meterred a couple right after dry firing, and they sometimes clock in at .1 or .2Ω lower in in resistance. (like a .5Ω coil meterring at .3Ω when it's still hot/warm). Not always, just sometimes. I wonder if these melting coils didn't just achieve a low enough resistance on dry burning to end up frying themselves. (Maybe in conjunction with a "poorly alloyed" ? batch of Nichrome)

Just a wild conjecture.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
:blink: what kind of wire are you using??? Got pictures of the damaged coil?

No...I've not seen it, but that's not saying much. :lol:

I dry burn the hell out of my coils...and haven't had any melt.

It was Nichrome 28 ga. That wire below the coil is fused to the coil. The wraps on the far right were originally as tight as the rest of them. The way the coil moved was a weird sight to see as it was happening.

IMAG0103-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0104.jpg
    IMAG0104.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
I've heard of something akin to this 3 times in the last two weeks. Always Nichrome. Maybe a quality thing? A poorly mixed batch? Didn't sift the metals before combining in a mixing bowl?

Anyway, I've heard of micros being referred to as a controlled short. I've meterred a couple right after dry firing, and they sometimes clock in at .1 or .2Ω lower in in resistance. (like a .5Ω coil meterring at .3Ω when it's still hot/warm). Not always, just sometimes. I wonder if these melting coils didn't just achieve a low enough resistance on dry burning to end up frying themselves. (Maybe in conjunction with a "poorly alloyed" ? batch of Nichrome)

Just a wild conjecture.

May be a quality thing but I have some from this same roll on two other attys and have had no problem dry burning (yet). This is the first time I've tried Nichrome and I'm liking it better than Kanthal. Maybe it's coincidence that it happened immediately after the wick went up in flames.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
That doesn't make any sense to me at all. I mean, I torch mine and dry burn them all the time....how could a coil melt? Amazing. And how could the cotton burning be hotter than a Bic lighter torching it if the cotton disintegrates when it's torched??!! The science on this one would be fascinating for sure.

That's exactly what I said to my son (except with a few expletives added in). I had burned the wire with a butane torch prior to mounting it and had it glowing. It doesn't make any sense to me either but it sure would be nice to know why if for no other reason than to avoid it happening again. I didn't know a battery could deliver enough current to melt wire.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
Did it happen on the same device? Of so, I would check that device very closely before using it again.

Same reo grand. I took it apart and can't see anything unusual. I've been using Kanthal and Rene 41 in it with no problems. I recoiled with Rene 41. So far so good.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I doubt that it would have to do with the device, or the 510. Any discrepancies there would result in less power getting to the coil, not more. (Total Speculation Here . . . .TSH)

. . . . . no, wait . . . "Total Speculation Here In This" . . .. .HAH!

. . . . . anyway: any kind of a short would mean, basically, no power getting to the coil (short in the device, not the coil). Other than that, dirty or poor contacts would also lead to less power, not more.

Upstart Battery? . . . surging and belching extra current to the coil? . . . . . .. Nawwwwww.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread