Cotton wicks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdfield

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
Mass
Hi , How often should I change the cotton wick in my kayfun lite plus ? I'm new to this and after a couple of coil builds I am running a 2.0 ohm coil for the past 2 days and still seems fine it's not my all day Vape yet.I'm still using the Nautlius at work I used about 4 Mls of juice in the past 2 days in the kayfun just want to try to gauge if I can start taking it with me on my work day which is about a 12 hour day
Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi , How often should I change the cotton wick in my kayfun lite plus ? I'm new to this and after a couple of coil builds I am running a 2.0 ohm coil for the past 2 days and still seems fine it's not my all day Vape yet.I'm still using the Nautlius at work I used about 4 Mls of juice in the past 2 days in the kayfun just want to try to gauge if I can start taking it with me on my work day which is about a 12 hour day
Thanks for the help

I got my kayfun about a week ago or more; it's my main vape.
Same coil and wick; I figure I can run it for a month.

28 gauge; I about 3 to 4 ohm coil; right now reading 3.6 ohms
sometimes it reads 5+ ohms when cold so I guess I should open it up and tighten those screws.
vertical coil.

Last edited:
Change it when you notice a decrease in performance. Flavor will go down first. It's gonna depend on how exactly you have it set up, what kind of juice you use and how often you hit it.

In my RDA, with a 0.8 ohm single twisted coil using NET, I have to change coils at least once a day. Yesterday I had to change it twice.

If you're not on a regulated device, you're running your resistance a little high. You'll likely get better performance closer to 1-1.5 ohms, especially with a mech. It's all in what you want, but I've found that flavor and vapor peak somewhere in that range with a Kayfun.

HazyDayz

Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago
Change it when you notice a decrease in performance. Flavor will go down first. It's gonna depend on how exactly you have it set up, what kind of juice you use and how often you hit it.

In my RDA, with a 0.8 ohm single twisted coil using NET, I have to change coils at least once a day. Yesterday I had to change it twice.

If you're not on a regulated device, you're running your resistance a little high. You'll likely get better performance closer to 1-1.5 ohms, especially with a mech. It's all in what you want, but I've found that flavor and vapor peak somewhere in that range with a Kayfun.

Me too! I've always heard that the coils will last a month but lately I've been vaping on my K100 at .5ohm. When I test it 12-14hrs later I noticed the resistance goes up to ~1ohm. I obviously noted a large decrease in flavor and clouds but I definitely thought that it would last more than one day. I dont mind changing the coils though but it has surprised me. I take it changing it once a day has been a regular thing for you?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Do you mean a month with the same cotton ?

Well , I'm used to protanks and when I rewick with cotton it's just a small piece of string really.

Now with an rta kayfun type it's more like tens times more cotton in there; - actually my current build in the kayfun is a vertical coil so the wick doesn't go through the inside of the coil but the cotton is 'packed' or 'wadded' around the outside of the coil like the insides of a carto, so, I'll see how it goes, but so far so good; feels like a month to me it should last - maybe 3!

Me too! I've always heard that the coils will last a month but lately I've been vaping on my K100 at .5ohm. When I test it 12-14hrs later I noticed the resistance goes up to ~1ohm. I obviously noted a large decrease in flavor and clouds but I definitely thought that it would last more than one day. I dont mind changing the coils though but it has surprised me. I take it changing it once a day has been a regular thing for you?

You shouldn't be changing coils once a day, even with super low builds and coil gunking juices. If your resistance is doubling in 12-24 hours, something is wrong. Check your connections.

I've been changing wicks every day, not coils. I've never had a coil just burn out, I always wanna rip it out and try something else before that point. My twisted 28g coil at 0.8 ohm in my Magma has been going strong for 4 days with no signs of slowing down yet. My parallel 28g coil at 0.5 ohm in my Stillare has been in there for over 2 weeks. Still does just fine.

HazyDayz

Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago
You shouldn't be changing coils once a day, even with super low builds and coil gunking juices. If your resistance is doubling in 12-24 hours, something is wrong. Check your connections.

I've been changing wicks every day, not coils. I've never had a coil just burn out, I always wanna rip it out and try something else before that point. My twisted 28g coil at 0.8 ohm in my Magma has been going strong for 4 days with no signs of slowing down yet. My parallel 28g coil at 0.5 ohm in my Stillare has been in there for over 2 weeks. Still does just fine.

I suppose I dont have to change them daily, but I've noticed a marked difference in the coils over a 24hr period. Usually in 24hrs the resistance goes from .56-.9 or so. At that point I just prefer the way it vaped when I just built it so I tend to just change them myself.

I am somewhat new to building but when I first get them fired I'm SOOO happy with my build and then 2 days later its just "meh". Is this just me? Any suggestions on why this is?

26g Kanthal at 5-6 wraps at .4-.5ohm

Your post screws are probably getting loose. Tighten them. Again, if your resistance is almost doubling in 24 hours something is wrong. Especially with anything fatter than 28 gauge (like your 26) it should be lasting minimum of a week.

As you heat those coils over and over it's gonna get soft while hot, even the legs that don't get red. You have to check your screws once in a while.

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
I change the cotton wicks in my KFL every two or three tanks, not because the wicks are bad but because my coil gets all gunked up and I like to clean it by dry burning. I notice decreased flavor and vapor production when my coil gets gunked up and I can see juice discoloration when I refill old tanks without cleaning my coil (darker juice from inside the chimney spills out into the new "clean" juice). Otherwise, I keep the same coils for months at a time, just periodic dry burns to keep them clean.

Mikey6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2013
Bakersfield, CA, USA
I've had my 26g in my kfl+ clone for about a week (used my last bit and waiting on my vape mail to come in) and it's holding dead still at 0.9 ohms. All day every day. I've had some lower ohm builds in drippers go for weeks on end without changing res. I usually like to recoil if I can't dry burn them clean or if I want to experiment with a new build. Sounds like you may have a connection issue.

HazyDayz

Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago
Your post screws are probably getting loose. Tighten them. Again, if your resistance is almost doubling in 24 hours something is wrong. Especially with anything fatter than 28 gauge (like your 26) it should be lasting minimum of a week.

As you heat those coils over and over it's gonna get soft while hot, even the legs that don't get red. You have to check your screws once in a while.

Well I think one of the problems may have been that I was wicking too much cotton through the coils. Now that I put far less cotton into them, I notice a long lasting coil and steady production of flavor and vapor.

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
As a general rule I've heard most people say that 30ml on a Kayfun is about the norm for a cotton wick.

That being said, I carry 2 KFL's every day and have one for my drive, and one for on the job. I drive an average of 5 hours a day. My drive time vape is Castle long and my work vape is ZFO Reserve - Real Menthol. The Castle Long KFL gets re-wicked every 2 weeks (right about that 30ml mark) abd believe me, it's ready by that time.

The ZFO Reserve KFL goes forever on a wick. That Real Menthol is such a clean juice that after 3 weeks I figured I had better re-wick just because. It still tasted great and put out great vapor, I just figured I was pushing it. When I tore it down the cotton was still perfectly clean, there was very little gunk on the coils, and even where the cotton was in the coil, it was hardly discolored.

I'm currently on week 5 with the Real Menthol KFL with no degradation in flavor or vapor. I plan on re-wicking it this weekend (just because) but I'll bet it's clean just like before. Both my KFL's are run on straight mechanical mods and are coiled at 1.2 ohms with 28ga wire. I use KGD cotton and never have issues at all. I guess in the end, it all depends on build and liquid for how long a wick will last. BTW, both coils are around 5 months old. I dry-burn, hit with a small brass brush, and dry burn a second time every time I re-wick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread