Coughing after quitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrookv

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2017
I just stopped smoking and started vaping about a month ago and sometimes I get a tight feeling in my chest and tend to cough up some phlegm a little bit. The cough doesn't sound like I'm sick or anything and I'm not wheezing but it can get annoying every once in a while. Does this mean that my lungs are still healing from the 19 years of damage I've done to them and if so how long will it be until it goes away?

Not sure if this matters or not but I'm vaping 3mg juice 70VG/30PG in my tfv8 on my eleaf ipower mod.

j3000

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2012
Michigan
4 years back when I first quit smoking, I smoked 3+ packs a day I didn't stop coughing for about 7 months, you will notice that the coughing will be less, and easier to come back from. Keep hydrated drink plenty water.. you will start feeling better, I promise you..

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is most likely detoxing from smoking. Some people cough up a lot, and some don't. I didn't, despite being a 3 ppd smoker.

If it persists, well, it's possible that you are sensitive to a vape ingredient, I found out that I was sensitive to PG, and did a lot of coughing as I vaped, due to that fact. Too much nic can also cause coughing. However, a lot of folks just cough during the period of adjusting to vaping, also.

If it persists, and is severe, I might consider trying to eliminate some things, e.g. PG, VG, flavorings, or even a lower nic level, but at a month in and with no other symptoms, it very likely could just be the process of detox itself, and it should pass with time.

I don't cough at all anymore..... Unless and until I fall off the wagon and smoke but that has not happened in quite some time anymore.

Good luck, I hope your coughing settles down. I wish I could offer a "time frame" but it does seem to be a little different for everyone.

Anna

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
sometimes I get a tight feeling in my chest and tend to cough up some phlegm a little bit.
This sounds like what happened to me when I tried juice with more VG than I was used to. I went from 70vg to 80vg and had the same symptoms. I had not been having those symptoms vaping with 70vg for months. I also have Asthma. Once I went back down to 70vg all went back to normal. Since you only quit a month ago it could be the detoxing as others mentioned but if it persists you may want to thin your juice with some PG or buy a small bottle of 60vg or 50vg juice and see if it helps.

Edit to add: I had skipped some replies and see @stols001 also mentioned what I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread