The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Coughing?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by leelee.d, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. leelee.d

leelee.d Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Central Alabama
    I've been strictly vaping for 75 days now. All of a sudden, I cough sometimes when I vape? I understand that coughing is symptom of quitting smoking but does it generally start 2.5 months later?? I'm confused. This is messing with my good vaping experience! Any thoughts? Some details- I vape 12mg of nic, 70 VG 30 PG liquid, mostly fruity vapes and with my MVP2, iTaste VV/VW.

2. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    It's a little odd to begin coughing after having been vaping for some time. It's more common when you first begin vaping, as your body has to adapt from smoke to vapor. We all likely coughed when we first inhaled cigarette smoke until we adapted to it; the same is true with vapor.

Nicotine concentration, higher pg ratio, using too low resistance coils or too high voltage can also cause coughing. Specific flavoring agents can also cause some throat irritation.

Inhalation technique can cause coughing. In particular if you use a direct lung inhale. If you use a mouth inhale technique, you can allow the vapor a chance to cool in your mouth before inhaling into your lungs.

Using a longer drip tip can also help cool the vapor.

Freudian DripTip.jpg long_skinny_drip_tip_MyFreedomSmokes.jpg

(Freudian Tip from Pink Spot Vapors and long drip tips from My Freedom Smokes.)

At times, after two years of full time vaping, I occassionally cough. I generally use higher resistance coils (2.5 - 3.0) on my regulated mods as I prefer a cooler vape.

3. Dampmaskin

Dampmaskin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    Try clearing your throat before you start vaping, see if that helps? (Or makes it worse?)

Maybe you are having a very mild cold right now?

4. Rat2chat2

Rat2chat2 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2013
    Fantasy Island
    Could it have anything to do with allergy season beginning. I've noticed that I have been stopped up lately and cough a little more. Just a thought. I think if it was the vaping, it would have been at the beginning but I'm not 100% sure. I don't know if it could be a pg allergy starting. Good luck to you and I hope you find out. Thank you for posting because this can help others too. :)

5. Deeo

Deeo Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I have had days when i cough and have a hard time breathing. It is not because i need my inhaler either. It happens time to time when i am about to cough up more brown yuck. Its been 3 months in for me and i still am having brown chunks breaking up and coming out from time to time. Maybe it is happening to you too?

6. leelee.d

Jan 18, 2014
    Central Alabama
    Maybe it is allergies....it's been rough this season. It's been better today but it rained like crazy so maybe all the pollen got washed away and that's why feel better!

7. Butters80

Butters80 Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 31, 2013
    Boise, ID
    You might try a lesser nic juice or a higher vg blend. But I'd bet it's prolly due to allergens in the air.
    I've been coughing more than per usual too but I think it's due to getting my Helios and sigelei 20 watt dialed in. :laugh:

8. StephenMulkey

StephenMulkey Senior Member ECF Veteran

You might not be drinking enough water.

9. eLefAdEr

eLefAdEr Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 16, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    It could be various other causes since pollen counts are going up around the country. Do you have any allergies? Looks like you answered that as I was typing this out.

Related, I very occasionally get a super strong flavor hit with very little vapor -- so strong that it causes me to cough mid-puff. Then I go right back to it a few moments later and it's fine. Not sure what causes it, and it's nothing like how a hotspot on a coil would taste, absolutely no burning. A little annoying but I can live with it.

10. leelee.d

Jan 18, 2014
    Central Alabama
    I truly don't drink enough water. I know I should but while I am working I just forget to go fill up my cup!

11. wheelie

wheelie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 12, 2014
    Ont. Canada
    Drink lots of water for sure. I collapsed on a hockey rink and everyone including doctors thought I had a heart attack or a stroke. After every test imaginable it turns out I was dehydrated. The extra activity was enough to make me get weak and go down.

12. leelee.d

Jan 18, 2014
    Central Alabama
    I am really trying to get hydrated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.