Counterfeit/Low Grade LG HG2 Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Question. Will new HG2's under perform until they're broke in or had several charges?

No. They perform at their fullest from the first discharge. No Samsung/Sony/LG/Sanyo/Panasonic has needed breaking in. I thought I saw that effect on a couple of VTC5's last year but have not been able to duplicate it since.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    No. They perform at their fullest from the first discharge. No Samsung/Sony/LG/Sanyo/Panasonic has needed breaking in. I thought I saw that effect on a couple of VTC5's last year but have not been able to duplicate it since.
    I've seen this with new old stock and old lithiums that has been sitting unused for a year or more. It might actually take two or three years if not more of not being used to cause this effect. My guess is enough parasitic action takes place in that time that the upper current limits and capacity diminishes. But during recharging (and discharging), reverses most of the plating action to the cathode back to the anode. I can't recall of a case that it takes more than three or four cycles to get them performing well once again. And any at that point that are still performing poorly, are probably too far gone to save.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 26, 2013
    Indiana

Thanks Mooch, I think we may have a dud. Gonna use it's batch mate and see how that one does.

Diyguy

May 30, 2015
    My HG2s have the rough insulators, not shiny, but unlike the VTC4s that I used in the past. I get a weak battery indication while vaping when the battery still has 1/3-1/2 life, on the mod (VTC Mini), 68w TC, .35 ohm dual coils. This didn't happen when I was using the VTC4s on the same mod.

I haven't used a lot of different batteries or mods, but thought I'd post this as a data point. It concerns me, and I'm thinking of buying some 30Qs or something else.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    My HG2s have the rough insulators, not shiny, but unlike the VTC4s that I used in the past. I get a weak battery indication while vaping when the battery still has 1/3-1/2 life, on the mod (VTC Mini), 68w TC, .35 ohm dual coils. This didn't happen when I was using the VTC4s on the same mod.

I haven't used a lot of different batteries or mods, but thought I'd post this as a data point. It concerns me, and I'm thinking of buying some 30Qs or something else.

VTC4's and HG2's/30Q's have different voltages when a lot of current is being drawn from them. While you get more capacity from HG2's/30Q's you get a slightly lower voltage when vaping. This means you can get a weak/low battery message sooner than when using VTC4's, depending on the wattage setting.

KayP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 21, 2015
    Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
    VTC4's and HG2's/30Q's have different voltages when a lot of current is being drawn from them. While you get more capacity from HG2's/30Q's you get a slightly lower voltage when vaping. This means you can get a weak/low battery message sooner than when using VTC4's, depending on the wattage setting.
    Thanks Mooch [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

KayP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 21, 2015
    Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
    Like many companies, Sony is a parent company. They produce their batteries under Sony Energy Devices Corporations.

The battery business is a booming business, not only due to demand by vapers but also other industries such as automotive. They'd be crazy to bail out now. They only wished to distance themselves amongst the concern over vapers incorrectly using their product and hurting themselves, and inherently, the manufacturer's reputation.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Like many companies, Sony is a parent company. They produce their batteries under Sony Energy Devices Corporations.

The battery business is a booming business, not only due to demand by vapers but also other industries such as automotive. They'd be crazy to bail out now. They only wished to distance themselves amongst the concern over vapers incorrectly using their product and hurting themselves, and inherently, the manufacturer's reputation.
    Wasn't it Sony back in 2007 had all of those batteries catching on fire? And didn't Sony have a $300 million dollar recall just a few years back?

KayP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 21, 2015
    Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
    Wasn't it Sony back in 2007 had all of those batteries catching on fire? And didn't Sony have a $300 million dollar recall just a few years back?
    I'm sorry I can't comment without doing more research; I have been a vaper and following the news for only 5 months. I hope someone else will chime in with more information.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I thought Sony hasn't made any 18650s in years? They just buy from various manufactures and put their wrap on them?

Sony's official response to the availability of VTC4 and VTC5 18650s

There's been all kinds of news and rumors flying around but VTC's have always been available, just none around on the gray market for vaping suppliers to buy until a few months ago. Every VTC I have tested has been identical to genuine ones and came with a 2015 date code.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    There's been all kinds of news and rumors flying around but VTC's have always been available, just none around on the gray market for vaping suppliers to buy until a few months ago. Every VTC I have tested has been identical to genuine ones and came with a 2015 date code.
    But why would PowerStream's VP of Sales say that Sony told them they no longer manufacture 18650s, but buy from other manufactures instead? What's in it for PowerStream?

KayP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 21, 2015
    Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
    But why would PowerStream's VP of Sales say that Sony told them they no longer manufacture 18650s, but buy from other manufactures instead? What's in it for PowerStream?
    Check out Sony Is *Not* Discontinuing the VTC Line of Batteries and take from it what you will. It appears your topic is not gaining traction. If you create a new thread, or look for an ongoing thread, you may be able to connect with others who are following the news surrounding Sony 18650 batteries.

Back on topic: My LG HG2 batteries has arrived. The vendor was FastTech. I'll be testing them out, through normal usage, over the next few days; however, they pass visual inspections.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015

I have no idea. There are several guesses I could make but, for me, it boils down to that I have never had problems getting batteries that are identical in performance and appearance to Sony VTC's.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com

Not weird at all at that high a wattage. You're at the cdr of the hg2 already at 3.8v.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Debadoo

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 18, 2012
    Texas, near Fort Hood
    All of my previous HG2's have been 3.6 volts. I ones I just received from 101 vapes are marked 3.7 volts. Even their description says 3.6. I don't understand. The new ones came in brown boxes, as well. Anyone know why the discrepancy of 3.6 and 3.7?
    dunno. I bought my first ones the end of April from Orbtronic and they say 3.7

Reactions: AstroTurf
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread