Counterfeit/Low Grade LG HG2 Test Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
I just got a big handful of HG2's from 101 vape today, they have stickers on them but they are thin ones that I have never seen before. Im checking them over right now and see if I can tell any difference from the last batch I received from them a month ago.
Yeah post it Spokane. I was thinking about ordering the same.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Very happy to hear that. Thanks for posting. I usually order batteries from LiIon Wholesale, but the new sale over at 101 got me. Just ordered four more HG2s today. I'll compare them to the very good HG2s from LiIon once they get here.

Since these have been so popular that they often go out of stock, counterfeits were just a matter of time. :(
How much were they? I just checked & its 2/$12.00 is that the sale? Thanks!

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
For now, I recommend buying Samsung 30Q batteries until vendors can clear out their stock of bad HG2's and restock with good ones.

Not sure why I should ever consider buying an LG-HG2 (authentic or fake) over a Samsung-30Q...

According to Mooch's tests (click on SMALL chart at bottom of Blog link)...

The HG2 and 30Q are both 3000mAh...

and...the HG2 and 30Q both have an actual CDR of 20A...

BUT...the MCA of the HG2 is 20A vs. a MCA of the 30Q of 25A...

18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Well if you never hit even 20A and the price of the LG happens to be cheaper at the time, I can see someone going the LG route. Hell I rarely ever go over 10A when I am MTL vaping.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I just had an strange experience with an HG2 battery which I suspected was fake. Threw it on a mech mod with a 1.2 ohm coil, and the battery got extremely hot after 3-4 puffs. I heard somewhere that a mech mod should not really be used with a high resistance coil such as 1.2 ohm. Is that the cause of my problem, or is it the fake battery causing over-heating?

Reactions: AstroTurf

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I just had an strange experience with an HG2 battery which I suspected was fake. Threw it on a mech mod with a 1.2 ohm coil, and the battery got extremely hot after 3-4 puffs. I heard somewhere that a mech mod should not really be used with a high resistance coil such as 1.2 ohm. Is that the cause of my problem, or is it the fake battery causing over-heating?
I have no idea why anybody would say not to use a 1.2 ohm coil with a mech mod? That is how we used mech mods for years. And 1.2 ohm on a mech mod is only 11.5 watts at 3A. Even a flashlight battery will barely get warm at that wattage and amperage. Yes I would say that one is a fake.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Not sure why I should ever consider buying an LG-HG2 (authentic or fake) over a Samsung-30Q...

According to Mooch's tests (click on SMALL chart at bottom of Blog link)...

The HG2 and 30Q are both 3000mAh...

and...the HG2 and 30Q both have an actual CDR of 20A...

18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

I don't remember the particulars but that could have been due to just a one or two degree-celsius difference in operating temperature. Just enough to put it into the next 5A rating block. They really are incredibly close in performance and safety.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 29, 2013
    California
    I have no idea why anybody would say not to use a 1.2 ohm coil with a mech mod? That is how we used mech mods for years. And 1.2 ohm on a mech mod is only 11.5 watts at 3A. Even a flashlight battery will barely get warm at that wattage and amperage. Yes I would say that one is a fake.

Thanks, could you possibly share the formula behind those calculations? I have forgotten all I knew about Ohm's law. Also curious to know how you chose the amp rating at 3 A - was it just an an example?

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Thanks, could you possibly share the formula behind those calculations? I have forgotten all I knew about Ohm's law. Also curious to know how you chose the amp rating at 3 A - was it just an an example?
    Sure, there are lots of websites with the formulas. But if you want to just punch in the numbers, you can use http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    between here and there
    Update....Have received my batteries from 101. They all have the matte finish ring(same as the photo on right in Mooch's post.
    Thanks to all who spent their time researching this and those who reassured me all was well. And the beer buddy too, :)
    On the charger now.

KayP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 21, 2015
    Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
    Update....Have received my batteries from 101. They all have the matte finish ring(same as the photo on right in Mooch's post.
    Thanks to all who spent their time researching this and those who reassured me all was well. And the beer buddy too, :)
    On the charger now.
    Glad to hear it worked out
    wine3.gif

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

gerrymi

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 12, 2013
    The 'Burgh, PA.
    Well if you never hit even 20A and the price of the LG happens to be cheaper at the time, I can see someone going the LG route. Hell I rarely ever go over 10A when I am MTL vaping.

BillW...I do agree with you...

A very quick price check...

LG-HG2...$5.99

Samsung-30Q...$6.65

Reactions: BillW50

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    going on a tangent here but I just bought some Sony VTC5s on Taobao with a reputable Chinese vendor. Just wanted to see if he/she/they actually sell authentics. Review seems solid and I have purchased attys / mods from that vendor before.

Came out to about $8.80 shipped for 2.

I don't know.
    I would post that to the forum so everyone can see it and chime in with their experiences.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 27, 2014
    "Paradox", French West Indies
    Good on ya @Mooch for all your efforts in keeping us informed.

I am able to mark the insulator(non glossy) with a pencil

Just all be careful marking those insulators, a graphite pencil is not particularly safe for checking texture if it happens to mark a line between +/-. That's how we used to disable the spark plug on a mates motorbike by grounding the sparkplug against the engine with a pencil line!!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread