Status
Not open for further replies.

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
Hi
I was pulsing my coils 3x28/40 ni80 claptons.....they are the ones provided with the Zeus x rta and I see while it glows it's like u can see a crack in a shape like a wave and it's horizontal on the coil wraps...it takes like 3 wraps...
The crack glows much more also...
Imagine like a glowy crack showing up from one wrap to the other horizontaly lol and I wonder if anyone else has experience something similar...
I didn't dry burn the coil hard or anything..
I tried take a picture but I didn't succeed

I will try to take a pic before I change it cause I will pulse it hard cause I will change it :p

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
That's a "hotspot".
Gently drag something along the coil (NOT while firing). Not hard enough to move it, but like a gentle scratch.
A few times. Then fire again, and see if it's changed.

If you watch coil-building videos, you can see people doing this.

Some will say to "squeeze" the coil to eliminate hotspots.
Some will show poking a rod in and out (scraping the INSIDE, like I'm describing scraping the outside).

Basically - fiddle a bit with the coil (NOT while firing - unless using ceramic tweezers) and it will likely go away!

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
That's a "hotspot".
Gently drag something along the coil (NOT while firing). Not hard enough to move it, but like a gentle scratch.
A few times. Then fire again, and see if it's changed.

If you watch coil-building videos, you can see people doing this.

Some will say to "squeeze" the coil to eliminate hotspots.
Some will show poking a rod in and out (scraping the INSIDE, like I'm describing scraping the outside).

Basically - fiddle a bit with the coil (NOT while firing - unless using ceramic tweezers) and it will likely go away!

Oh yeah I did that and they glow nice evenly and from the center and then out...but that thing looks like a crack and it's horizontial crossing through the wraps....it doesn't go away....really it's wierd and when I open the it again I will change the coil cause now I didn't and I will take a pic for sure...just didn't want to pulse them hard now and was hard to time snapping picture... It's wierd cause it doesn't make sense according to the wraps orientation and the wires in the Clapton ikr

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Oh yeah I did that and they glow nice evenly and from the center and then out...but that thing looks like a crack and it's horizontial crossing through the wraps....it doesn't go away....really it's wierd and when I open the it again I will change the coil cause now I didn't and I will take a pic for sure...just didn't want to pulse them hard now and was hard to time snapping picture... It's wierd cause it doesn't make sense according to the wraps orientation and the wires in the Clapton ikr

As @Train2 said above, that horizontal crack is still a hotspot. And even if the coil is glowing evenly inside out, you can still have hotspots.

Use ceramic tweezers to scratch along it a few times, then pulse it to see if it's gone

RuiG

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2019
    Portugal
    Hey there.

Like most said, it really looks like a hot spot. The ljnk provided and some youtube guides could help you along.

Easier trick is to space the coil wraps just a bit.

Hi
    I was pulsing my coils 3x28/40 ni80 claptons.....they are the ones provided with the Zeus x rta and I see while it glows it's like u can see a crack in a shape like a wave and it's horizontal on the coil wraps...it takes like 3 wraps...
    The crack glows much more also...
    Imagine like a glowy crack showing up from one wrap to the other horizontaly lol and I wonder if anyone else has experience something similar...
    I didn't dry burn the coil hard or anything..
    I tried take a picture but I didn't succeed

I will try to take a pic before I change it cause I will pulse it hard cause I will change it :p

Superuser187

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 10, 2020
    Athens
    Ok so it was a hotspot...it's my first time with large coils like that and seems they are not sooo easy to fix hotspots like the small coils are...
    So it was impossible to remove the hotspot no matter how I scrap it push it or anything and I ended up unscrewing and tighten again the screws and then scrap it and it was good..
    When install them I guess I stressed the hell out of them to raise them and put them in correct position...it was kinda messy the way I did it lol..
    Ty guys and gals...all goooooood :p

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread