Critique my first order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
O.K. I just placed my first order for Snus. The only Snus I have used is Camel Snus Frost, but, I like the idea of going smoke free. I am tired of constantly having to fill carts on my e-cigs.

My order is:
Gotlandssnus Classic (Yellow) Portion
Jakobsson's Ice Fruit Portion
Roda Lacket Claq Qui Sterk Portion
Oden's Classic Cinnamon Portion
Roda Lacket White Portion
General Onyx White Portion

What do you think? Good, bad or O.K.?

Thanks,
Cad.

Antebellum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2009
Madison, GA
Hi, Cad,

The e-cig movement may be in the fifth year of development, but the best is yet to come. I imagine that our days of having to manually fill (or buy prefilled) carts will pass. Our PVs will become smarter devices - precisely measuring out a predetermined amount (hopefully that we will get to choose) of smoke juice and nic. All the fussing and fidgeting we do now is still a sign of an immature technology. Elegance requires simplicity. Who knows? Maybe we'll stick them in parking meters to recharge them and pay our toll at the same time. Maybe our cars will feed the mixture to us to improve our concentration on our driving. Maybe we'll recognize that our returning veterans have a right to vape anywhere they please. Maybe an implant will provide all the nicotine we need for a year, and we'll all be vaping because of all the wonderful flavors we enjoy.

I don't disagree at all with your desire to stay smokeless. No, not at all. I also don't disagreee about the snus.

I think you may well be back some day and you'll be able to take that pioneer attitude. "Gosh, I remember when we had to buy them little bottles and put the juice in the little containers called 'carts' ourselves. You kids think you got it so rough having the 'cool chems' that make you so smart and alert piped directly into your brains. Why, when I was a kid, we had to get up every day and actually go to school." :)

Elwin

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Missouri, USA
Good choices, all in all.
Though I think you may be disappointed with the Jakobsson's Ice Fruit - I know I was. The name and the pretty can are better than the flavor... It was extremely bitter to me.

The Oden's cinnamon is not quite as potent in flavor - cinnamon wise, that is. But not bad.

Onyx and Roda Lacket are in my top five favorites.

The bottom line is that snus flavors are very subjective. My favorites are "boring" to most snus aficionados.

I now have about 20 cans that I've tried, and most of them have been ziplocked and tossed in the freezer. Now I use 3 consistently. The rest are there for a change now and then.

But it was fun giving them all a try.
:)

cadman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
Hate to say it, but I don't like any that you've ordered. The Onyx is strong and tolerable, but you can keep the rest. If your experience is with American Camel snus, you are in for a powerful shock!

Lie down before you put those in your mouth ...

TropicalBob,

I used to dip Copenhagen and chew Redman in my younger days. Granted, it has been many years ago. Do you think the Snus will be that big a shock?

Thanks,

Cad

dEFinitionofEPIC

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
NJ
TropicalBob,

I used to dip Copenhagen and chew Redman in my younger days. Granted, it has been many years ago. Do you think the Snus will be that big a shock?

Thanks,

Cad

From all that I've read over at the snuson.com forums, If you used to dip snusing probably won't be that big of a shock to you at all....probably just a pleasant surprise...The stronger ones (like Claq Qui) may require a little bit of adjusting for your body though. I doubt you'll be "shocked" though.

Topso

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Sweden
O.K. I just placed my first order for Snus. The only Snus I have used is Camel Snus Frost, but, I like the idea of going smoke free. I am tired of constantly having to fill carts on my e-cigs.

My order is:

Thanks,
Cad.

Hi i just wanna say that i dont recomend to start snusin , its more addictive then ciggs and are therefore harder to quit. The nicotine dose is very much higher then ciggs and therefor its harder to go back to anything lower. Im just saying iv been doing snus for 3 years on and off.
Also i want to say the General is the strongest of them all.
Snus is from sweden you know so i know what im talking about.
I dont wanna sound negative i just wanna help :)

Topso

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Sweden
From all that I've read over at the snuson.com forums, If you used to dip snusing probably won't be that big of a shock to you at all....probably just a pleasant surprise...The stronger ones (like Claq Qui) may require a little bit of adjusting for your body though. I doubt you'll be "shocked" though.

You can get sick of your first snus, its not unusual that you will trowup or feeling very tippsy. Doesent matter if you have smoked or not, its like i say very much higher in nicotine. So take one step at the time, and if you feel like your gonna be sick put it out and rest a bit. hope that helps.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I would certainly start with the mildest snus available: Items like General Mini Mint, Oooomph Citrus/Menthol 3mg, etc. NOTHING over 6mg for some time. I have thrown up -- twice -- by overdosing on strong snus. I don't get that even dripping 48mg liquid on an e-cig. Snus is FAR more powerful.

And I find the taste of many snus products to be just disgusting. The stronger the snus, the more disgusting the taste. My statement on "shock" was based on liking Camel snus. Camel is weak and sweet. Your order is strong and yuck-tasting.

Good luck.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK

My order is:

Thanks,
Cad.

Nice selection of flavours, strengths and styles.

Of those that I've tried, here are my views:

Jakobsson's Ice Fruit Portion - quite nice, mild mint, not very fruity
Roda Lacket Claq Qui Sterk Portion - very nice, good size, quite strong
General Onyx White Portion - excellent, one of my favourites (but I prefer Grov Black)

If you've used dip before I wouldn't imagine snus would be a big problem WRT overdosing. Worst case, you can always cut a portion in half and use each half like a mini.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Hi i just wanna say that i dont recomend to start snusin , its more addictive then ciggs and are therefore harder to quit. The nicotine dose is very much higher then ciggs and therefor its harder to go back to anything lower. Im just saying iv been doing snus for 3 years on and off.
Also i want to say the General is the strongest of them all.
Snus is from sweden you know so i know what im talking about.
I dont wanna sound negative i just wanna help :)

I've been looking for an article I read as of recent that compared nicotine levels from snus users and cigarette smokers. I haven't been able to find it, but if I remember correctly nicotine levels for snus and cigarette users are about the same. Of course it entirely depends on how much you do.

As for myself I do 2 full size 8mg portions a day after meals, and 3 to 4 minis a day. So that's no more then 4 grams a day. No doubt a small amount by snuser standards, but enough for me. I do supplement that with a small amount of e cig use (and I do mean small) and a few sniffs of oral snuff if I feel the need. Certainly not massive amounts of nicotine, but enough for me.

I think making blanket statements that snus users are getting very much higher doses then other forms of nicotine products is misleading.

I have heard that some of you Swedes are just nuts (no personal insult intended) when it comes to snus. Polishing off a tin of los snus (45 grams) in a day is way way over the top. It's like any other form of getting our fix. A bit of self control goes a long way.

My problem seems to be with e cigs. I have not a clue as to how much nicotine I'm really getting. When I was a heavy e cig user I was doing much more then when I smoked cigarettes. I have no idea wether I was getting more or less nicotine then when I smoked. I do know it turned into a big hassle because I just couldn't seem to get enough. Vaping for an hour straight is on the crazy side of life. I would follow that up with a real cig because it never really hit the spot. That all changed when I did my first snus. Finally, satisfaction.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
My problem seems to be with e cigs. I have not a clue as to how much nicotine I'm really getting. When I was a heavy e cig user I was doing much more then when I smoked cigarettes. I have no idea wether I was getting more or less nicotine then when I smoked. I do know it turned into a big hassle because I just couldn't seem to get enough. Vaping for an hour straight is on the crazy side of life. I would follow that up with a real cig because it never really hit the spot. That all changed when I did my first snus. Finally, satisfaction.

Yes, I'm with you on that. I read somewhere that an 8mg pouch should, over the course of time (say 1-2 hours) deliver 1-2mg of nicotine which equates to 2-3 real cigarettes depending on strength. Not too different. I found e-cigs difficult to regulate; I was either a little bit craving or had a headache from too much. The feedback on analogs is almost immediate so no problem there. The nicotine delivery from snus is, after a little practice, easier to control and less spikey than e-cigs.

From an earlier post, I don't see why snus would be any more addictive than analogs. Studies show that the psychological side of addiction is related to the action/feedback speed which is why analogs appear to be the most addictive form of nicotine (same with crack ....... vs. snorted ....... apparently - the former is much more addictive because it "hits" so fast).

[EDIT - I use between 6 and 8 pouches of snus a day mixed between regular and high (8/12mg) but today I've only had 5 - all high for no particular reason. e-cig use is down to about 4ml of 24/30mg a week if that and nasal snuff just now and then]

Last edited:

sheilalynn

ECF Veteran
I have thrown up -- twice -- by overdosing on strong snus. I don't get that even dripping 48mg liquid on an e-cig. Snus is FAR more powerful.

How strong of a snus did you use when you got sick? I haven't had any problems with them at all yet and use either the mini-mints or a "normal" (8mg) nicotine portion or a very small portion of los. Now I'm going to be paranoid thinking I'm going to make myself sick :p

Elwin

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Missouri, USA
My first swedish snus were General Wintergreen and General mini-mints. 8 and 4 mg. each. They never made me sick.
I didn't get sick to my stomach per se, but I did start to OD on nicotine the first time I tried Thunder frosted (16mg.). Wow! That was way too much, too quick.

Everyone has to self-medicate if you will, and determine their own tolerance based on their own intake.
And you'll have to take into account other sources of nicotine, too. If you're still smoking cigarettes, e-smoking, snuff, pipe or cigars - those can all influence your reaction to snus.

So while Bob's concern is a completely valid and reasonable warning, it's not an absolute.

Your milage may vary...
:)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Elwin is dead on. Both times I got sick, I had popped a snus in after finishing about a 45-minute pipe smoke! Soooooo .. I had elevated blood nicotine with the pipe, then put in a snus and went over the top. Began sweating profusely. Double vision. Shakiness as I tried to get off a couch and to a bathroom. I was "out" for 30 minutes on the bathroom floor. Couldn't get up.

The snus? Hard to believe, but what used to be called Wise uses a "purification" process that gives it far more immediate a punch than any other snus brand I've ever used. Most snus takes at least 15 minutes to begin a hit. Wise takes 5 or less and you are OD'd at 15 minutes even if it comes out. I was using Wise Wine&Chef, now renamed. It was the culprit both times, weeks apart. It's all of 6mg.

I do nic all day -- not in super large amounts, but always something -- so I'm never sure how much I have in my system. I mostly like Java Stonewall and my Kissbox e-cig, but also do nasal snuff and maybe 10 snus portions a day.

I got some Thunder Frosted about two weeks ago -- and hate it. Yuck tasting and far too powerful at 16mg. I'll add some charts here that were posted in another thread. Note the one on snus strengths, if used each hour. Compare it to the cigarettes spike and decline of a smoker

bloodlevels2.jpg

and

snusbloodlevels.jpg

Last edited:

Mohave

ECF Veteran
The one missing chart is nasal snuff. That's one I still don't have a clue on what I'm getting.
I've wondered about that one also. I can't really tell what I've got from it and I'm still undecided how useful it will be for me, but I've generally used it to supplement something else. It sure is affordable and easy, now that I've gotten a little accustomed to it.

Mohave

ECF Veteran
I don't know that my tastes are likely to be all that good at predicting what someone else will like, but since you asked here are my rankings of those you ordered:

Strong/pungent:
1. Claq Qui - A favorite, on my everyday short list of those among the strong variety snus which I'm now stockpiling to prepare for Armageddon;
2. General Onyx - An exotic that I enjoy occasionally but probably wouldn't care to use every day;
3. Odens - Blecch, strong enough to do the job if I need something with the kick of a mule and don't mind that it tastes like the southern end of a northbound member of that species.
Moderate/flavored:
1. Roda Lacket - Though I usually need more strength than this and also tend to prefer the pungent tobacco flavors of the types in the category above, I often enjoy changing up with the somewhat fruity taste of this, and it is also one I'm stockpiling for regular use;
2. Gotland Yellow - Similar thoughts as RL above, though I tend to prefer the green just a little over the yellow, and I find the Gotland stuff more complex and not as easily approachable, maybe more like a salted citrus type tequila drink than a fruity one with an umbrella, and perhaps it may not be as easy to appreciate by those not used to Swedish snus as the RL.
The "Icefruit" has its own special unique category for me: retch & barf. I find nothing icy or fruity about it. The experience resembled sucking on the smokestack of a New Jersey chemical refinery to me.

My order is:

Thanks,
Cad.

Status
Not open for further replies.