Snus Reviews- Feel Free to add your own...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I liked that one at first but grew tired of it after a couple cans. I'm really liking the Sommarsnus. It's an explosion of fruit/berry flavor. I wish I had gotten more than two cans. If they still have it next time I order then I'll get a roll for sure.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Time to add a couple I've had a chance to try.

First up is hittman's favorite all day snus Thunder Berry. I was really surprised with this snus. I'm not a big fan of fruity flavors but the berry does a nice job of complimenting the tobacco flavor and was very enjoyable. Not overpowering at all. The tobacco flavor was pleasant and smooth. Good balance with the berry. Being a strong snus it did have a little sting to it at first from the added nicotine until it settled down. Berry flavor lasted a surprisingly long time and I'll be adding some more of this to my next order for sure. Thanks hitt!

I grabbed some Oden original extra stark on this order. I'm still at odds with it after trying a portion. It's strong in every way. Strong flavor, strong kick. You name it and it's strong. Pure tobacco flavor and one heck of a kick. Got my first case of the niccups in a long time with this snus. A few drinks of water took care of that. I think it'll grow on me and maybe it needs a little aging to calm everything down, but for now I'll leave it in the freezer. Definitely not a beginners snus.

That's all for now. More to come as I try different ones.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I just got a can of nick and johnny captain yankee from Waho in the mail. My first reaction is Wow! I really like it. I taste cherry and some kind of spice, maybe cinammon and it's on top of a dark tobacco flavor. I will most likely get a roll of this the next time I order. I saw in a review that there's supposed to be a hint of wintergreen but I don't taste it thank goodness because I hate wintergreen.

evilfrog

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    portland OR
    I'll order a can or three of yankee when I run low on snus next year - it sounds interesting.

GR Havtorn wp - strongly herbal with a hint of berry. This is a great snus! Perfect with tea; just delicious!

Odens Extreme Vanilla - the vanilla mixes well with the tobacco. The tobacco dominates, but the vanilla smooths out the peppery flavor. I know some people don't taste the vanilla on the wps, but it comes through well on these wet ones. Well balanced and not too sweet - very nice, and I may have to add it to the reorder list.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Never been a huge fan of snus... I have tried it on occasion though and the only one that really felt OK was the "Ettan - white portion".

To each their own. Since you posted in the review thread would you care to provide your thoughts on the Ettan White? I'd be curious how it compares to regular Ettan, which I've tried in the past. Thank you.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Never been a huge fan of snus... I have tried it on occasion though and the only one that really felt OK was the "Ettan - white portion".

That's kind of ironic because Ettan is one of the few that I could never come to like. I know a lot of people do like it but something about it that I can't stomach.

Last edited:

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Ok. It's been a while since I've been able to post a review. Mostly because the high cost of shipping has kept me from experimenting with different brands and flavors. Luckily I was able to make one these "experimental" orders recently so I'll add new reviews as I try out the new brands.

First up is a new variant to the snus realm. Before you could basically only order snus in portions or loose. Portions are easy, no fuss, and require no prep in order to enjoy. Loose requires making a portion or pris out of the loose snus either using a special tool called an "icetool" or one you create yourself. Or actually making one by hand.

Lundgrens has changed all this by making a "prebaked" portion that combines the feel of loose snus with the easiness of using a portion. Very cool concept and one that intrigued me as I've always wonder about loose but was put off on some of the problems I had read about using it. I added a tin to my recent order and below is my review.

Lundgrens Forbakad:

I explained the concept of this snus above so I won't rehash it here. Upon first inspection the can seems a little thicker than most snus cans I've seen and once I opened it I found out why. It is filled completely with these little hard pieces of dark tobacco. They look almost like pieces of Toostie roll. I didn't count but it looks like about thirty altogether. Very firm to the touch and a bit larger than I anticipated. The aroma was nice, earthy tobacco and Bergamot. I found using one of these portions a bit of a learning experience. First off, unlike regular portions which can be manipulated and flattened these are hard and unforgiving. No discreet snusing with these babies. It causes a noticeable bump in the upper lip for sure.

But what saves this snus for me was the flavor and nicotine delivery. Nice dark earthy tobacco flavor combined with a little pepper kick and the tart bergamot undertones makes for a satisfying snus experience. You can taste the tobacco and bergamot very quickly and it is very nice. Not overly strong but very much pronounced and almost clearer or more pure than regular portions. I imagine it's probably because there is nothing between your gums and the tobacco. This would also aid in the quicker nicotine delivery. I could almost immediately feel the calm steady effect of the nicotine entering my system while with regular portions it normally takes around five minutes before the urge to kill someone passes. The solid portion does soften up after a while but stays in place very good. I had no leaking or "mudslides" to speak of. Just a little residue once I removed and discarded the pris.

This snus is a win for me. Might not be one I take out and use at a restaurant or social function due to it not being very discreet. But for the full flavor and quick nic fix I'll order it again for sure. If you always wanted to try loose but were intimidated at the prep process give this one a try. It's worth it.

More to come as I try some new ones. Thanks!

Last edited:

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    I had a chance to try another new brand from my recent order this weekend. Below is my review. :)

Jakobssons Melon Strong Portion:

This is another one that always caught my attention. I wanted to try it before but always found my shopping cart filled with "needs" rather than "wants" so it always got left off. But with my recent order from Northerner I decided to toss a couple of cans in to check it out. I'm glad I did.

First off the can is the usual plastic with the used portion lid. Nothing special. Next is the aroma when you open the can. Holy watermelon Batman! The smell is amazing and quite strong. I thought I would be able to catch a whiff of underlining tobacco but no such luck. Good thing it's in the taste of the portion or else I would have been pretty disappointed.

And speaking of taste, this brand has all that and more. Nice moist portions, easy on the gums, and full of good yummy watermelon taste. It almost reminded me of a Jolly Rancher watermelon candy at first because it's that strong. But it calms down fairly quickly and then the tobacco undertones start to show through. It melds nicely with the melon and it turns out to be a pleasant snusing experience. The extra nicotine kick is evident but not overdone.

Hows does it rate on my list of favorites? Probably not in the top five but I'm a pure tobacco fan at heart. It's a good dessert snus and a wonderful change of pace although not an all day snus for me. If a good strong fruit flavor is your thing then definitely give this snus a try. :)

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Once again, nice review rebel. A long time ago I tried the iced fruit and thought it was horrible. I haven't tried a jakobssons snus since. The watermelon sounds interesting but watermelon was never one of my favorite flavors. I'm glad you like it and very much appreciate you taking time to do reviews here.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Once again, nice review rebel. A long time ago I tried the iced fruit and thought it was horrible. I haven't tried a jakobssons snus since. The watermelon sounds interesting but watermelon was never one of my favorite flavors. I'm glad you like it and very much appreciate you taking time to do reviews here.

Thanks Hitt. Watermelon isn't one of my favorite flavors either but it's nice every once in a while. I can see me using this snus much like I use the General Mint which is as a change of pace from using purely tobacco snuses. For people who might be interested in snus, but are turned off by the tobacco taste in regular portions, this would be a great alternative.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I've got one of my own to add.

Thunder raspberry

Upon opening the can I smelled a strong aroma of raspberry and tobacco. Like other thunder snus, the portions are wet just like I like them. The raspberry flavor is very up front in the beginning and almost a little sweet. After 5-10 minutes the raspberry and tobacco flavors even out for a very enjoyable experience. The flavors seemed long lasting just like the thunder berry. I tried it for the first time this afternoon and it's a little late in the day for me to do an es portion so I ended up taking it out before the flavor went away. I've been a thunder fan for some time and this one is a keeper in my book. I'll use it tomorrow morning instead of my normal thunder berry and see how long the flavor holds out.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Just popped this can open and thought I'd give my initial impressions.

Islay whiskey:

Really nice metal can with no used portion compartment, but no big there. The tobacco flavor is the best I've had and the mellow whiskey tones make for a real treat. A great balance of flavors. Mild salt flavor but it doesn't detract from the experience. I really wish I'd have ordered more than 2 cans.

The portions are good and moist and well made, it doesn't look like they'll break open during use. The flavor is still going strong after an hour and half which is surprising for a non-white portion.

If you're a fan of whiskey or straight tobacco, I'd recommend this highly.

Edit:
    Started to lose flavor after 2.5 hours. Still pretty impressive. Forgot to add that the nic hit doesn't seem as good as other regular strength snus. At the 2 hour mark I rolled the portion around a bit to get some more flavor time out of it as I usually do and noticed I was craving a bit more nic. Usually doesn't happen to me with others but your mileage may vary of course.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread