custom indicator led idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy867

Jun 28, 2009
i noticed that some e-cigs come with blue indicator lights and I was thinking something like that would be cool to have instead of the traditional fire-orange. I have the Smoking Everywhere red iCig, and the led is VERY VERY VERY small and soldered onto a small circuit board so someone would have to talk me step through step on removing the current led and soldering a new one on. (some even suggested using the indicator light as a battery life indicator... (different colors for different powers)

Thsi might sound kinda cave amnish.What about useing a permanent marker and color the tip. I have done this in the past on deployments when we did not have red lenses. It does work. On my old sportster I drill out the eyes on skullinsert and put in led lights.The problem they were whit. I took the SHARPIE red of course and PREsto a skull with red eyes. Just my 2 cents. Great Vapeing.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Depending on how patient you are.....if you can actually see the led...you might be able to scratch the coating off with an exacto knife blade...will likely take some time...but after that they sell a gel to coat lights with....call your local theatre and ask what they use to color spotlights with. would be a LOT easier than changing out the led

darkmatter22

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
in the MEDIUm
www.liquimatter.com
Depending on how patient you are.....if you can actually see the led...you might be able to scratch the coating off with an exacto knife blade...will likely take some time...but after that they sell a gel to coat lights with....call your local theatre and ask what they use to color spotlights with. would be a LOT easier than changing out the led

only if the led were white to start with....... if it were a blue led and you wanted to make it red by placing a red gel screen over top of the led, then NO light will come out.... blue and red are exact opposites, and will negate each other.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
There's normally not a coating on LEDs, sometimes it is, the color is determined otherwise. See below:

"The LED is based on the semiconductor diode. When a diode is forward biased (switched on), electrons are able to recombine with holes within the device, releasing energy in the form of photons. This effect is called electroluminescence and the color of the light (corresponding to the energy of the photon) is determined by the energy gap of the semiconductor."

Taken from HERE

cpcp68

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2009
Knoxville, TN
Yep, the color of an LED is a property of the LED, not an artifact. Not all colors exist, however, and to obtain the color spectrum several LEDs are packaged together and their intensity is varied to obtain the desired color. White and blue were the most difficult to fabricate for a long time. Now they are common.
Having an arbitrary custom color is more involved than just changing the LED. It can be done, but it is not straightforward.

@cpcp68: yep, I can remember when these LED lights came to market came;they all were red ,not that they all were externally red,some of them were white but remitted red light (also available now),then came orange,green and just few years ago these blue and white has become popular. now there are color changing and blinking LED s are also available...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread