Status
Not open for further replies.

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
OK,
So the other day I'm vaping away and suddenly my H16 battery dies!! So I put it on the charger and let it charge over night. I figure no biggie because I have another Riva battery. I put the carto on that battery and start vaping away again. The next morning I put the carto on the H16 battery and it still wont fire. I took the carto off and could smell a short in the battery. You know that electrical burning smell. I'm a little ......, but figured these things happen sometimes. So I'm stuck with my Riva battery until I get a new H16 battery. And besides, I still have an old 510 mega battery that still works for a stand by.
So, last night suddenly my Riva battery goes out!! CRAP!! I put the old 510 mega on and continued vaping. This morning ZAP!!! The 510 mega goes out as well. Unfortunately for me it was not until the 510 mega went out on me that I figured out it was the carto causing the short. How STUPID is that. Now I'm sitting here banging my head on the table.
I ordered a new battery and 5v passthrough along with some new atty's and juice from Madvapes. My usual supplier Digital Ciggz is out of batteries. I like ordering from him because he is in the Bay Area and I know I'll get my stuff the next day. Madvapes is all the way in NC, so I know I'll have to wait till Wednesday or Thursday before I get my stuff. :mad::(
Now I'm sitting here at my computer using an old passthtough that just sucks. I even went to the extreme of charing my old Smoking Everywhere 4081 and I went to 7-11 and got one of those e-cigs that they sell. The only problem is that once you get used to a 1300 mah battery with a LR atty, these other devices just suck!!
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to limp along for a few days until my order gets here
Anyone else ever do something dumb like this???

ChuckB

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Uvalde, Texas
Now would be a good time to look at the modders forum and check out making a simple box mod. There are great instructions for a nicostick and for the Puck. Either one is cheap to make and with a couple of dead batteries, you have the connectors already.

Even if you don't use them regularly, you'll have a very solid backup battery.

tarheeldan

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2010
Dover, NH
Haha, it's funny you mention this optsmk! I'd ordered a 900mAh eGo battery and was all happy with it, but the next day it just stopped working all of a sudden. No trauma that I could figure, but I could hear and feel the insides move around a lot so I figured a connection got loose....and I decided I could fix it.

I have NO electronics experience. Heck, I haven't touched a RadioShack kit since I was 11 or something. Finally figured out how the thing was put together and twisted and pulled and....broke the button in the process of getting it apart. I see the wire that "mysteriously" seems cut in two. I try to make the connection by stripping both ends of the wire...so far so good except for the button. On my way to put it back together, the wire hits the side of the casing and yuck! Burnt smell, smoke, and the wire burns away to nothing :( Glad it didn't blow up on me.

Right, so we've established I'm an idiot. Contacted the supplier and they were kind enough to replace the battery even though I'd tampered with it (awesome!). New one gets here, dies the third day after arrival. The same morning it dies, I've just gotten my first LR atty in and a drip tip.

So, I switch the atty and tip from the dead batt to the old faithful 650 and vape away. Later, I go to clean the parts and blow out the atty, but somehow the glue has gotten old and I'm holding the drip tip and battery and applied a little torque by accident and...the battery comes apart and a wire breaks off at the sodder point :(

Luckily I've got one more 650mAh battery that's lasted since Feb and that's what I'm vaping on while I wait for a well-made 900mAh and a sit and go passthru (hopefully they'll get here tomorrow).

Anyway, the first batt died due to a bad carto I figure - which connects to your story. And the rest was me being me haha.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
Well, let's see...every now and then I'll go looking all over the house for something I'm carrying in my hand. But I suppose you mean something vaping-related.

Um...no, can't say that I have. Yet. But gimme time...

Not to add to your misery, but for what you spent for the battery & sundry items from an east coast supplier, you could have got a H16 kit from azsmokefree.com (that's AZ as in Show Low, Arizona).

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
Well, let's see...every now and then I'll go looking all over the house for something I'm carrying in my hand. But I suppose you mean something vaping-related.

Um...no, can't say that I have. Yet. But gimme time...

Not to add to your misery, but for what you spent for the battery & sundry items from an east coast supplier, you could have got a H16 kit from azsmokefree.com (that's AZ as in Show Low, Arizona).

I do sometimes order from azsmokefree. In fact he was the first guy that I made an online purchase through. I looked at him after digitalciggz, but he did not have any batteries. He only had the whole kid for 50 bucks. All I wanted was a battery and a 5v passthrough.

I'll just try not to make the same mistake again. that's for sure.

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
One other thing I forgot. Since you live in CA you will probably get your order in 1- 2 business days. I live in GA and place an order from a CA supplier that was shipped on a Saturday morning and I received it on Monday. For some reason the USPS delivers things cross country quicker than items one state away.

That would be sweet if I got it that fast. I got an email from Madvapes this morning saying that they were already prcessing the order. Hopefully that means it will be in the mail in the morning and hopefully get here by tuesday!

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
I'm ordering a mod and calling it a day. Keep my Ego, 510, and in the event of catastrophic failure my Blu kit as backup. I don't know what I'd do if everything died at once, I feel for you.

Well, at least I sill have my passthough. it seems to be working much better now that the battery has charged up. Plus I also have my old Smoking everywhere cig and the one I got from 7-11. So I'm not totally dead in the water. I'm just limping a little bit. :)

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
Michael (at digitalciggz) told me he has about 50 H16 batteries coming in this week (I'm waiting to order a second backup to avoid this very issue!) I think he got more referrals from us than he expected! :)

I know, but thats the problem. He says they are comming, but I need one NOW!!! LOL.
I will order a few from him when he gets them though. I like the ones that he gets because they have the little slots cut out and that makes a big difference when using the 510 atty's. Some of the other suppliers have the ones without the slot so you have to back the atty out about a 1/4 turn to be able to get a good hit.

oettinger

ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2010
Tampa, Fl.

Litecig has the kits for $44.99 with FREE shipping, or just the batteries for $20

Hello-016

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
That would be sweet if I got it that fast. I got an email from Madvapes this morning saying that they were already prcessing the order. Hopefully that means it will be in the mail in the morning and hopefully get here by tuesday!

My last order from Madvapes was a Saturday afternoon (around 3:00 PM) I got it Monday morning. (Edit: I had it send First class mail, not even priority) I think they have a contract with NASA or a teleporter they're not telling us about ;)

Lavaca5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
OK,
So the other day I'm vaping away and suddenly my H16 battery dies!! So I put it on the charger and let it charge over night. I figure no biggie because I have another Riva battery. I put the carto on that battery and start vaping away again. The next morning I put the carto on the H16 battery and it still wont fire. I took the carto off and could smell a short in the battery. You know that electrical burning smell. I'm a little ......, but figured these things happen sometimes. So I'm stuck with my Riva battery until I get a new H16 battery. And besides, I still have an old 510 mega battery that still works for a stand by.
So, last night suddenly my Riva battery goes out!! CRAP!! I put the old 510 mega on and continued vaping. This morning ZAP!!! The 510 mega goes out as well. Unfortunately for me it was not until the 510 mega went out on me that I figured out it was the carto causing the short. How STUPID is that. Now I'm sitting here banging my head on the table.
I ordered a new battery and 5v passthrough along with some new atty's and juice from Madvapes. My usual supplier Digital Ciggz is out of batteries. I like ordering from him because he is in the Bay Area and I know I'll get my stuff the next day. Madvapes is all the way in NC, so I know I'll have to wait till Wednesday or Thursday before I get my stuff. :mad::(
Now I'm sitting here at my computer using an old passthtough that just sucks. I even went to the extreme of charing my old Smoking Everywhere 4081 and I went to 7-11 and got one of those e-cigs that they sell. The only problem is that once you get used to a 1300 mah battery with a LR atty, these other devices just suck!!
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to limp along for a few days until my order gets here
Anyone else ever do something dumb like this???
I did pretty much the same thing -- killed 3 batteries before I figured out that it was the charger that was shorting them out. Spent 2 days with nothing but a faulty PT that was stuck in the "On" position. I'd have to plug it in, take a couple of quick hits, then unplug it before it fried my motherboard, exploded or both. It was a pain, but enough to keep my off the analogs until the new batts (and charger) arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread