Danger of mechanical mods and subtanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
Hey guys! Quick question for you all! So I heard that some mechanical mods are not okay to use with sub ohm vaping because of the connector. Well, can someone explain that to me? My mod has a spring loaded 510 connector, the mod is a Tesla Two Sub Mod. Would this be any issue with say, a uwell Crown? What's the danger of the connector in detail? Thanks again guys!

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
So I heard that some mechanical mods are not okay to use with sub ohm vaping because of the connector.
You're probably hearing about mechanical mods with the "pinless" (aka hybrid-look, fake-hybrid, or fauxbrid) 510 connection. Since without a center pin in the mod, the atty's 510 makes direct contact with the battery, these mods are not safe with any atomizer that has a flush or non-protruding center pin on the atty's 510 connector. You have to ensure that only the center pin of the 510 contacts the battery -- if the outer threads touch it at all you will short circuit the battery which can lead to a fire or explosion.

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
You're probably hearing about mechanical mods with the "pinless" (aka hybrid-look, fake-hybrid, or fauxbrid) 510 connection. Since without a center pin in the mod, the atty's 510 makes direct contact with the battery, these mods are not safe with any atomizer that has a flush or non-protruding center pin on the atty's 510 connector. You have to ensure that only the center pin of the 510 contacts the battery -- if the outer threads touch it at all you will short circuit the battery which can lead to a fire or explosion.

So those connectors would be the problem? A normal 510 connector like the one on my mod shouldn't have ANY issues with any tanks theoretically? Here's a pic of the connector in my mod.

2417500-2.jpg

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
So those connectors would be the problem? A normal 510 connector like the one on my mod shouldn't have ANY issues with any tanks theoretically? Here's a pic of the connector in my mod.

2417500-2.jpg
Yes, that connector should be fine with just about any atty that it will fit. Just make sure your coil's ohms are within safe working parameters for the battery. The Tesla Two says it can handle 0.1 ohms and 40 amps but, being powered by an unknown LiPo pack, many people are skeptical of those values.

Way2Gone

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Indiana, USA
Yes, that connector should be fine with just about any atty that it will fit. Just make sure your coil's ohms are within safe working parameters for the battery. The Tesla Two says it can handle 0.1 ohms and 40 amps but, being powered by an unknown LiPo pack, many people are skeptical of those values.

So normal mods like the Istick 100 watt and say a griffin tank or aspire atlantis tank or even the common kangertech subtank mini wouldn't cause me any battery type issue right?

Reactions: EBates

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
I should also add, it says it can go as low as 0.1 however, using an ohms law calculator, a 0.15 sub ohm coil draws about 117 Watts........ That's not safe! The battery says it's 100 Watts, so that's fishy there in itself. A 0.25 coil would draw about 70 Watts, at full charge of course. So that alone is sketchy.

Reactions: EBates

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
The T2, while not having any regulation to speak of, does have a chip set with safety features.
Tesla Two Sub Mod

From the above link:
The Tesla Two Sub Mod is powered by a 2 cell Li-Po battery rated at 4000mAh. The chipset has built-in protection features to keep you and your mod safe. The amp limit on this mod comes in at 40A, ensuring a safe vaping experience.

Reactions: H4X0R

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
The T2, while not having any regulation to speak of, does have a chip set with safety features.
Tesla Two Sub Mod

From the above link:
The Tesla Two Sub Mod is powered by a 2 cell Li-Po battery rated at 4000mAh. The chipset has built-in protection features to keep you and your mod safe. The amp limit on this mod comes in at 40A, ensuring a safe vaping experience.
Yea it has it's safety features, and I'm damn glad it does! Lol this mod was an impulse buy to be honest with you haha At the very least, a defective coil that goes too low will not work!

Reactions: VHRB2014

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
The Tesla 2 that you are referring to isn't a mech. It is an unregulated device, yes, but it isn't a mech. The term "mech" isn't interchangeable for "unregulated" just like "hybrid" isn't interchangeable with "pinless 510" or "direct to battery"
The issue with using some subohm tanks on pinless topcap tube mechs is the tank's 510 may protrude upon initial inspection, but under pressure recedes, allowing the tank's 510 (negative) outer threads to contact the top of the battery, causing a hard short and a hot-to-vented battery when you fire it.
Tanks that have a solid, protruding positive 510 pin, and have a real build deck (no premade, screw-in coil heads) are fine for mech use provided you know what you are doing and why you are doing it.

Reactions: H4X0R

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
The Tesla 2 that you are referring to isn't a mech. It is an unregulated device, yes, but it isn't a mech. The term "mech" isn't interchangeable for "unregulated" just like "hybrid" isn't interchangeable with "pinless 510" or "direct to battery"
The issue with using some subohm tanks on pinless topcap tube mechs is the tank's 510 may protrude upon initial inspection, but under pressure recedes, allowing the tank's 510 (negative) outer threads to contact the top of the battery, causing a hard short and a hot-to-vented battery when you fire it.
Tanks that have a solid, protruding positive 510 pin, and have a real build deck (no premade, screw-in coil heads) are fine for mech use provided you know what you are doing and why you are doing it.
Well yea, technically it's kind of a hybrid device. The Tesla Two is a weird type of battery. With the connector that this one has, would you say there's any risk here?

sacullen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2014
Chicago, IL, USA
You're a bit confused by the terms. "Hybrid" describes a very specific type of mech/atomizer setup and the Tesla Two isn't one of them. You can use a subohm tank on the Tesla. Just don't use coils meant for temperature control.

The Tesla Two is an awesome little mod. Great output, great battery life, all in a really compact package. I'm vooping a Griffin (which is an RTA, by the way) on mine as I type this.

juggler86

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
Wisconsin
My sister recently suprised me with an 100w cfiber unregulated tube and her old Starre. Im loving it, just like when i had ijust2 kit i dont notice much of a drop off even after a day. Same thing when I had my 65w unregulated Talos Mini.

Man i miss all my stuff, POS junkie neighbor(family friends son&lil sis BF since they were 5). We didnt lock our doors for 20yrs(didnt even have keys). Little puke knew this and walked right in got all my vape stuff as well as 3 iPads, 2 laptops, jewelry, cash, medications and someother stuff to sell for a quick buck. We know it was him, since he was caught in our house before. My parents wouldnt name him as a suspect in the police report though, since he was like family for 15yrs. Our home owners insurance got most of the stuff back, but none of my vape stuff, since i was horrible with receipts.

Sorry for the off topic rant especially since i think ive told this story before.
If he wouldnt of stole my authentic Magnum & authentic SMPL(1st mech and RDA) and my Sig Mini 30w with my authentic Derringer, I wouldnt be so upset but those are the only authentics Ive ever owned and my Sig Mini/Derringer is my all time fav set up:cry:

Sorry mods delete if necessary just venting.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
The Tesla Two mod as some of the above members said is an unregulated device, such that it does not have the ability to adjust power, take that into consideration when you use low resistance coils since you may not be able to get the tank's full potential if you use a very low resistance.

Despite being unregulated, it still has protection built in protection in the case of a bad resistance read. This makes it non mechanical, it has wiring and probably a PCB.

You also have to make sure you charge this thing right. It only charges via USB, so make sure you use a reliable USB charger and take care of the battery since it's non replaceable.

The 510 on this device is like any standard 510. A way you can tell that it's not hybrid is by the fact it's a non mechanical device that has built in batteries. I don't think any manufacturer would make a hybrid 510 on any device like that.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Hey guys! Quick question for you all! So I heard that some mechanical mods are not okay to use with sub ohm vaping because of the connector. Well, can someone explain that to me? My mod has a spring loaded 510 connector, the mod is a Tesla Two Sub Mod. Would this be any issue with say, a Uwell Crown? What's the danger of the connector in detail? Thanks again guys!

No.

Some tanks that use prebuilt coil heads are not safe to use with any mechanical mod. Prebuilt coil heads are cheaply mass produced, have soft rubber insulators that can rip easily, and sometimes arrive shorted in the box.
This can cause issues with a mech, as there are no safety measures to protect you from yourself.

Use the RBA deck instead, and learn as much as you can about how mechs actually work, and basic electronic theory before touching a mech.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Hybrids no

If they have a decent real 510 with a pin then yes

But keep asking as you obvious haven't got the knowledge quick yet

Hybrids do not have 510 threads.
The atty attached to the body of the mod.

A SMPL isn't a hybrid.
It's a direct to battery mod.

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread