The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Volunteer to help with beta testing!

We’re working on getting the site updates ready, but we’ll need your help to check the changes, make sure everything makes sense to you, and report any issues you see. If you'd like to volunteer to help with beta testing, click the link below. The first 20 people to respond to this thread will be added to the team!

View thread
    Dismiss Notice

Dark cruddy threads.

Discussion in 'The GG' started by Melloh, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Melloh

Melloh Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Canada
    Hi guys, I was just wondering how you all clean your threads. I just want to know the best way to do this without scratching the surface. My threads are turning dark and building up some crust. Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. hairball

hairball ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2010
    Other Places
    Dip a paper towel in some rubbing alcohol and wipe them down. The alcohol dries quickly and won't hurt the battery or atty.

3. atavanhalen

atavanhalen Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I use a q-tip with warm water and or soapy water.

4. imeothanasis

imeothanasis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    You mean GGTS or UFS threads Mell?

5. UKtarget

UKtarget Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    Wolverhampton
    If its really bad i find a little metal polish (liquid) and a toothbrush works wonders

6. Melloh

Jan 11, 2011
    Canada
    I have a GGTS with threads turning dark on me. What type of liquid metal polish do you think I should use for this situation? Thanks for the responses guys.

7. imeothanasis

imeothanasis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    If you have the nickel GGTS use a cream for nickel and if its aluminium use a cream for aluminium. But any metal polish cream is ok. Threads will become white again Mell

8. Melloh

Jan 11, 2011
    Canada
    I have a nickel plated one so I'll try to find something at the Canadian tire near by thanks!

It might be a pain for some, but I like to maintain this PV. When I smoked I used zippos. Same thing, they needed to be taken care of. To me this PV is a fully functional piece of artistry which was well thought out by not only an artist, but by an engineer. Thanks again for the tips and hints, but if there are any new techniques or solutions I'd like to learn more.

9. Melloh

Jan 11, 2011
    Canada
    I came across this crazy product typically used
    by people who own guns called strike-hold. Very impressive. Only concern is the reaction it has on the plastic and the o rings on the GG. Anyone else heard of this crazy stuff or has used it? It's dielectric cause they submerged a drill into water while operating it. It's dry so no buildup of grease or weight. Repels dirt and water. It's heavier than water so it penetrates deeper Into the metal and doesn't sit on the surface. Very interesting but not sure about our applications. Any clue guys?

10. zexnu

zexnu Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2010
    Illinois
    I wouldn't use a Dielectric since it's a electrical insulator, you want something conductive like DeoxIT or NOALOX

11. Melloh

Jan 11, 2011
    Canada
    You're right zexnu. I wasn't understanding the term correctly. I did try out the alcohol cleaning and it helped out a bit, but i'll probably have to move on to heavier cleaning methods. I can't wipe off certain parts still. thanks again

12. buGG

buGG Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2009
    brush²
    if you're looking for a polish, don't get something that's going to penetrate too deeply because you're using it on a plated surface. just look for autosol, flitz, maas, simichrome or similar non-abrasive polish. as far as the threads, using a toothbrush is a good idea, but you can just use warm soapy water there, and then follow up with polish when dry if you want. none of these polishes should be used on o-rings, just use vaseline there, and honestly if you want to put something on your threads after you've cleaned them out and polished up everything, just put a dab of vaseline on them too. if you really want to make another investment, then grab some food grade silicone lubricant for all threads, o-rings, etc., but a little vasoline on plastics, rubber o-rings, and threads, and a good mild polish like those mentioned above for everything else will keep you're setup in top shape. that's it.

13. Mr.Self_Destruct

Mr.Self_Destruct Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2010
    Queens, NY
    I would notify a mod.

14. UKtarget

UKtarget Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    Wolverhampton
    As buGG has also said autosols an excellent crud remover, also as log as your careful you can use T-cut on the threads only as this will lift the dirt but can be a bit bad on rubber and one more to consider is WD40 but again be careful if you use this as it can linger a little and does not make a good vape.
    But its safe to use on Rubber and all metals.

15. Melloh

Jan 11, 2011
    Canada
    A lot of great hints and tips. Thanks guys! The actual grime is just mainly in the center tube right where it opens up. It's the part just before it starts the threading so it shows up. If it in the thread I wouldn't mind but cause it sits there while I extend it, it bothers me to look at it. Toothbrush helped it more but still sitting there. I'm gonna grab some product like bugg said and see how that goes.

Weird thing... I didn't have any issues with tarnishing the time I used it, but the moment my friend tried it,it started turning dark almost instanly!! Very weird. I can see how people with the wrong body chemistry can affect the look of these things.

Thanks again I'm off to look for a polish. :p

16. zexnu

zexnu Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2010
    Illinois
  17. Melloh

Jan 11, 2011
    Canada
    Guys, autosol kicks!!!! Ok overlook the fact I stare and polish this thing constantly, I'm a little crazy when it comes to this stuff, I'm pretty much obsessed. I've been trying to clean those threads out since I got it. Now that I have this crazy product, I'm afraid I might do it too often. I did the toothbrush on the threads and it took out most of the crud. The serious ones I used a toothpick. Not sure if the autosol would affect the o rings so I reapplied the Vaseline after I rinsed and washed with soapy water. What I thought was super clean isn't even close the moment I used the autosol. I gently wiped and the microfiber was almost instantly black. At first I thought the autosol was abrasive cause it felt a bit grainy like toothpaste, but once you smear it on and start to polish, it turns to butter and glides over the metal. It was effortless. I thought I would have had to use some serious elbow grease, but boy was I wrong. Guys I'm super pleased with the results. Thanks for all the tips. They really helped. :)

18. dspin

dspin Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2010
    USA
    Yes, Autosol is the best for nickel plate. The liquid autosol is even more gentle. The tube paste is even great for polishing headlights on the car.

19. Melloh

Jan 11, 2011
    Canada
    I like the autosol a lot but has anyone used peek? One of my buddies suggested this after i bought the autosol. It doesn't really matter cause I'm happy.

20. dspin

dspin Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2010
    USA
    Be very careful when applying and polish to Nickel Plating. Most manufacturers do not recommend it. Peek is way to strong of a polish for a GGTS and only plating recommended for is Chrome

Caswell Inc. - Peek Polish

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.