• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Daughter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Just a quick update from her apptmt with the orthopedic surgeon yesterday...

She has a broken Talus in her foot.

The talus is a critical bone of the ankle joint. It connects the leg and the foot. The talus is involved in multiple planes of movement. It joins (articulates) the ankle joint and is responsible for the upward and downward movement (dorsiflexion and plantarflexion) of the ankle. In addition, it joins the heel bone (the calcaneus) where it is responsible for the majority of the inward and outward movement (inversion and eversion) of the foot. Injuries of the talus may therefore effect both the ankle and subtalar joint and affect multiple planes of movement of the foot and ankle.

Actually, it's broken in half with the lower half of it crushed. It's from here that bone fragments are floating into the surrounding joints causing nerve damage. She also has torn muscles & ligaments...impounding the problem with swelling.

She does need surgery.

Next problem is the swelling. It is too swollen at this time to do surgery. He said surgery in 1-2 weeks after swelling goes down. They put a cast on, and told her absolutely NO weight bearing on that foot!!! Keep it elevated above heart.

The bone in the top of her foot is NOT crushed as we had been initially told, it is broken but not crushed. It will heal on it's own. As will the third break to the bone on the side of her foot. That's good!

I don't have time this morning to go into more about it...we're headed out again soon today to take my grandson to the plastic surgeon apptmt.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
MK...exactly.

Today went good I guess, my tired hurts so bad I can't remember. LOL. No...seriously...the PS said his wound looks okay at this point. To see him in 6 weeks after it has healed more and he will go from there. He did say the stitches should have stayed in longer with that type of head wound but he will be okay. It will leave a nasty scar but re-eval in 6 weeks for possible scar reduction procedure options. Nothing that has to or can be done right now, keep it clean & dry. :)

Tomorrow is another day of hurry up & wait doctor apptmts. One for him, one for her.

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Hi Ladies!

3 days of doctors apptmts done! No more scheduled for a while, as of now at least. whew!

I am going to crash on the sofa for a little while, then go hug my pillow until I can't lay there anymore. I will catch up on reading posts tomorrow. And keep you updated on her as I know more.

Thanks for all of thoughts and prayers! Hope everyone is well and has had a great week so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread