Not open for further replies.

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Way to go Duner!

I was a 20-30 cigsAday smoker for about 15 years. Like many others I was turned off of vaping several years ago by a terrible effort to switch to a NJoy kit. Those things were TERRIBLE (imo).

If there are things about your vaping experience you don't like please do talk about it. It can go wrong and be a real displeasure but once you find what works for you (again, imo) choosing vapor over acrid smoke won't even be a decision you have to make.

After several failed attempts to quit over the years I had all but completely given up on the notion of quitting tobacco. I truly enjoyed it despite the awful health consequences and stench that permeates every fabric of your life.
Several years ago I tried to quit tobacco, I mean I really gave it a good effort.. it was an all-or-nothing scenario. I felt that if I tried to ween myself off tobacco again I would, once again, eventually loose focus and find excuses to exceed my daily goal and lengthen my quit indefinitely. I did not want to wake up one day in my mid thirties STILL a smoker. When my quit date arrived I was ready and I quit on that day. I had put so much pressure on myself to quit completely the stress of thinking about slipping up and smoking even one single cigarette was heavy, to say the least. I had nightmares that were terrifying and the worst thing that happened in them was I smoked a cigarette, the perceived consequences were crushing. This quit attempt lasted a while but I caved and went back to smoking.

So I made it to my mid thirties, still a smoker. Then I rediscovered vaping in the form of a borrowed eGo Twist with a Vision Clearomizer filled with a lovely blend of Vanilla Cocoa Mint and Killa Vanilla. I was amazed at how far vaporizing had come since the NJoy kit.
I knew immediately that quitting tobacco was likely to be on the horizon for me. And I remembered the lesson I learned putting too much pressure on myself. This time it was different.

Instead of trying to quit smoking or trying to choose to vape instead of smoke I decided to challenge myself to one thing: Every time I craved a cigarette simply try to remember to take a few puffs of vapor FIRST. If I still wanted to smoke then I would knock myself out. I never let it be a "this is it I have to quit" sort of thing. What I found was amazing to me. Smoking had become so undesirable so quickly I didn't even buy another pack. I went from smoking 20-30 cigs a day to finishing my last pack over the course of a week. In the two months following I have continued to allow myself to smoke as much as I want. In 2 months I have LIT 9 cigarettes. I have finished ZERO cigarettes. The last one was actually today, I had been thinking about it for a few days. I lit it up and got 3 puffs in before I laughed out loud at how very disgusting it was and put it out. This is the first in all my quit attempts that when I do falter and light up a cig it takes me back to 1990 when my friend stole a couple Marlboro Lights from his dad and we smoked em in the woods, how very disgusting they were.

tl;dr?

Congrats and you can do it!
Don't put too much pressure on yourself, quitting tobacco is hard. If you do falter you may be pleasantly surprised how disgusting it is when you can actually taste it.
If there are things about vaping that you dislike then talk about them with others, there is likely a resolution. When you get things sorted a nice draw of vapor can be as full and thick and way more gratifying than a draw off a tobacco cigarette.

duner

Apr 7, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
Its day 3 and I'm still smoke free.... I've been sucking on this Kanger T2 $20.00 starter kit while I'm waiting for my ProVape gear to show up.
Had to up the nic from 1.8 to 2.4, and I still dont get the BUZZ I'm looking for. On the other hand, I'm not craving the coffin nails either so I guess all is good. The T2 isn't a bad set up either, the battery lasted all day and I've only used .5ml's of juice. Hope I don't regret all the $$$ I spent at PV!!:confused:

DJ RyckRak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2013
Somewhere in New England
Its day 3 and I'm still smoke free.... I've been sucking on this Kanger T2 $20.00 starter kit while I'm waiting for my ProVape gear to show up.
Had to up the nic from 1.8 to 2.4, and I still dont get the BUZZ I'm looking for. On the other hand, I'm not craving the coffin nails either so I guess all is good. The T2 isn't a bad set up either, the battery lasted all day and I've only used .5ml's of juice. Hope I don't regret all the $$$ I spent at PV!!:confused:

YEA !
Naw- the kit you got will always be your backup... got to have backups !
I am still using my eGo-C kit as my out and about, fill and carry vape gear.
and I keep all my nice mods and such at home.
Kinda gives me something to look forward to in the evenings.

You are not going to get the 'head rush' that you get from cigs....
The nicotine is absorbed more slowly vaping.
In smoking- the molecules of nic are absorbed into the bloodstream instantly...
as they are like 1 micron in size....and are absorbed by the tiny blood vessels in the deep lung tissue.
In Vaping- the nic is attached to PG/VG and are like 10 microns in size...
they are absorbed via the soft tissue of the mouth and nose.
They are too big to be absorbed by the small blood vessels in the lungs...
and to big to break the 'blood brain barrier'...hence- no head rush...
also- you have to vape more often than you smoked to keep the nic level up.
I know...I'm weird to want to know and study this stuff...
Comes from a 40+ year addiction...I want to know the whys and hows !

Well- there you go, and yes you too will want those 'shiny' big batteries.

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
Well done duner, you've already done the hard part - quitting analogs.
Some really good advice so far from some real pros :D
I don't know if this will help, but I found you have to have a very positive mental attitude. Just keep reminding yourself of all the benefits of vaping over the stinkys.
Plus, I found changing flavours helped me keep the interest with vaping. Might sound sad, but I look forward to planning which new flavours to try next :laugh:

newstore

Moved On
Apr 10, 2013
China
  • Deleted by Judge Dredd
  • Reason: Unregistered supplier
Hi Duner... Congrats and welcome!
I too just started and love vaping! That is a great setup you have ordered and will like it tremendously. I have the same setup, it is great for noobs.

LOL! I coughed quite a bit too when I first started. Word of caution, don't try to vape like an analog. It is a much slower drag...

Keep on vaping!

jenmurray116

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Congratulations and welcome to ECF!!! :toast: You are doing great and not craving a huge accomplishment! I have a 13 y/o son who is very proud of me so I know what a great feeling that is!

Finding the right juice was what did it for me - I had tried vaping twice but wasn't successful (first time was a cig-a-like with not enough nic and the 2nd time was with juice that was way too sweet). 3rd time I got an ego type kit, peppermint juice and it was love at first vape - no more cigs. Now I've lowered my nic (12 mg's during the day, 6 at night) and having fun experimenting with flavors. This is a great place to ask questions and learning a ton!!

:)

duner

Apr 7, 2013
Salt Lake City, UT
YES!! Well kinda... first off, still smoke free (day 4 btw) :D So my package from Provape was sitting on the pourch when I got home from work, opened it up and they sent me a mini instead of the standard, so the 18490 wont fit. So excited to try it out, I ran down to my neighborhood vape shop and grabbed a 18350. Puffin on the new toy with a new flavor (sweet tobacco, yum) while I email VP to see whats up. I actually kinda like the size of the mini so if they offer send out an extension cap I might take it. What do you guys think? I haven't put a pencil to it but it should be close $$ wise I think.
So the mini ROCKS! Big big puffs, I realize now what everyone is talking out, you really do get what you pay for.

That is awesome, nothing like opening that package and getting to play with the new toys! Kind of a bummer though that you didn't get what you ordered. I am sure PV will take care of you, I have never heard anything bad about them. On the flip side, I have the mini and just LOVE it! I use the 18350 and the extension cap for the 18490. Had mine for two weeks now and that is my favorite setup.

Congrats on the 4 days, soon those will turn in to months and so on... It has been almost two months for me.

Keep the faith and keep on vaping!

- Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread