Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Dear Abby on uExpress
April 29, 2013 column

DEAR ABBY: I work in a small office with two former heavy smokers who have now transitioned to vapor/e-cigarettes. My concern is that they "smoke" their e-cigarettes in the office constantly, and I don't know what chemicals I am now breathing secondhand. Both of them are senior to me in rank and age, and they pooh-pooh the notion that anything but water vapor is being exhaled. Am I making something out of nothing, or should I be worried about this? -- CLEAN AIR

DEAR CLEAN AIR: You don't have anything to worry about, but your co-workers may. In 2009, the FDA announced the findings from a laboratory analysis that indicated that electronic cigarettes expose users to harmful chemical ingredients, including carcinogens. However, those elements were not detected in exhaled vapor.

With the size of her audience, at least this will help quell the fears of second-hand vapor. But I do wish people who vape would stop saying it's "water vapor." Of course there is water in the PG, VG and flavoring but there is also PG, VG and flavoring. Unless 100% of those things are destroyed in the process of becoming vapor, what we exhale is vaporized food-grade products.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Nicotine is simply guilty by association...
Same as caffeine is guilty by association with coffee.

No one (including us) can think about smoking or coffee ...
without thinking of nicotine and caffeine.

Yeah-Yeah-Yeah ... I know all the arguments.
However, I doubt the public will anytime soon view vaping ...
on the same level as drinking coffee.

There's much-much more here than educating the public.
E-cigs produce a smoke-like vapor...which will always remind
the public of smoking tobacco.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread