Didn't know where to post this, and so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyboy5691

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2013
Hamburg, NY
This was just in the local evening news paper today.
I'm typing it out because I can't find a link for it.

Dear Aby,
I work in a small office w/ 2 former heavy smokers who have now transitioned to vapor/ecigs. My concern is that they "smoke" their ecig in the office constantly, and I don't know what chemicals I am now breathing secondhand.
Both of them are senior to me in rank and age, and they pooh-pooh the notion that anything but water vapor is being exhaled. Should I be worried about this?
-Clean Air

And the response:

Dear Clean Air,
You don't have anything to worry about, but your co-workers may.
In 2009 the FDA announced the findings from a lab analysis that indicated that ecigs expose users to harmful chemical ingredients, including carcinogens. However, those elements were NOT detected in exhaled vapor.

I'm a new PV'er and I'm calling BS on this answer. Ok let's see the responses.

llamainmypocket

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
United States
This was just in the local evening news paper today.
I'm typing it out because I can't find a link for it.

Dear Aby,
I work in a small office w/ 2 former heavy smokers who have now transitioned to vapor/ecigs. My concern is that they "smoke" their ecig in the office constantly, and I don't know what chemicals I am now breathing secondhand.
Both of them are senior to me in rank and age, and they pooh-pooh the notion that anything but water vapor is being exhaled. Should I be worried about this?
-Clean Air

And the response:

Dear Clean Air,
You don't have anything to worry about, but your co-workers may.
In 2009 the FDA announced the findings from a lab analysis that indicated that ecigs expose users to harmful chemical ingredients, including carcinogens. However, those elements were NOT detected in exhaled vapor.

I'm a new PV'er and I'm calling BS on this answer. Ok let's see the responses.

I'm actually fairly impressed with Dear, Aby. However, she should have directly quoted the FDA and if she had then it would have indicated that users of e cigarettes MAY be exposed to harmful chemicals, as one of the e cigarettes found trace amounts of a chemical used in the curing process of tobacco. Also, she is right that e cigarettes do contain carcinogens. They are trace amounts and consistent with smoking cessation products like nicotine gum.

With a little deductive reasoning you can say that if nicotine gum does not cause cancer and e cigarette contain the same amount of carcinogens as nicotine gum then e cigarettes don't cause cancer. Brought to you strait from the FDA's mouth. If one is true then so must the other be.

spider362

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I seem to remember somewhere that the FDA has lifted the time restriction on using nicotine gum and you can now use it for as long as you want to.

Wish I could remember where I read/saw/heard that, but right now it eludes me.

So, if there is no time limit on using nicotine gum then there should be no problem with e-cigs either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread