Debating on rebuilding...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapocalyptic

Moved On
Feb 20, 2014
Arizona
What are the pros and cons of rebuilding factory coils? I do not drip, and only own aspires, evods and a mini pro tank. I've heard you can't rebuild aspire coils. So essentially, I'd be rebuilding my mini pro. Perhaps I should get a new tank, I've heard about Kayfuns but they're so many I dunno which to get.

Also, what tools and equipment would I need?

Sent from my XT1028

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I rebuild my Evod and ProTank heads...because it's fun to do. :p

If you want to try an experiment, start re-wicking your existing coils with cotton. You'll be amazed at the difference in flavor. That's what got me started and it just went on from there.

This was the video that got me started:

Last edited:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Rebuilding ProTank style heads can be a great way to improve performance and save. $$$. Most people use 30ga or 32ga wire depending on the resistance they want. Also if you have an Android device, I suggest downloading the free app, Vaper's Toolbox, it will help with figuring out, which wire you want to use, how many wraps, etc. PM me if you need help with the app.

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
Something to coil around, round objects like precision screwdrivers, drill bits and syringe needles are popular. 1/16-5/64th or so tend to be the common sizes used. Tweezers. Maybe a butane torch depending on the method you use (using a torch to help compress a microcoil is an easy technique). Ohm meter or multitester. fingernail clippers and or scissors. Kanthal. 30ga is a good start for protanks coils.

and Practice. Honestly, it doesn't take too long to get started, even a poor attempt will be better than a stock coil.

Word has it that Nautilus heads are not impossible, just difficult. :)

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
Your coil heads for evod and protank should be interchangeable. I'm not that good at wrapping or installing tiny coils, and the kanger heads don't give you a lot of room to work in. So I use these pre-wound wires https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007197/1593900-pre-coiled-welded-wires-w-wicks-nr-r-nr-50-pack, makes it very easy to do.

You'll need a nail clipper or small diagonal cutter for cutting wire and wick and some type of ohmmeter for checking resistance. Pointy tweezers are useful at times.

I find kayfuns are easier to re-coil than evod head, because you've got more room to work with.

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
In my opinion, rebuilt heads produce better flavor and more vapor than factory heads, even with the same resistance readings. I also prefer the taste that cotton wicks produce.

You will need some Kanthal, organic cotton balls, an ohm reader of some kind and something to wrap coils around. I recommend 30 gauge kanthal for rebuilding the evod/Protank heads. If you have a mod with a built in ohm reader, that will be fine. I prefer wrapping my Protank coils around a 1/16 drill bit because, it fits almost perfectly into the slot of the evod /Protank heads.

I do not own any Aspire products but YouTuber Ripp Trippers has videos on rebuilding those and Kanger heads. You can find many video tutorials for rebuilding heads on YouTube.

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
What are the pros and cons of rebuilding factory coils? I do not drip, and only own aspires, evods and a mini pro tank. I've heard you can't rebuild aspire coils. So essentially, I'd be rebuilding my mini pro. Perhaps I should get a new tank, I've heard about Kayfuns but they're so many I dunno which to get.

Also, what tools and equipment would I need?

Sent from my XT1028

Better flavor, vapor and longevity.

The tools I use for Kanger coils:

30 or 32 gauge Kanathal (I got my last spools here: Kanthal 30 Gauge AWG A1 Wire 100ft Roll 254mm 8 36 Ohms ft Resistance | eBay)
Sterile cotton balls from the first aid section for wick
Fingernail clippers to cut wire
Micro Screwdrivers to wrap on (I have a yellow Stanley set from Wal-mart)
Bernzomatic micro torch (optional but you will want at least a bic lighter to torch the wire)
Tweezers to squeeze the coils
Something to test Ohms (Multi-meter, Ohms meter, Regulated Mod that can read Ohms)

And "Vaper's Toolbox" Android App as suggested above. I use it every time I build! Accurate, easy and awesome!

The best advise I'll give is read and watch as many rebuilding tutorials as you can stand and take what bits make sense to you and build them your own way! That's what I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread