Define healthy for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czernobog

Feb 26, 2009
United States
Hi all. New member and have been vaping for about 2 weeks now. I've still felt the need to smoke analogs now and again and after reading the numerous studies on tobacco and nicotine and electronic cigarettes it seems kind of normal. Just a bit of background.

Anyway, I see the articles and hear the crap about e-cigarettes not being healthy and blah blah blah, but it seems like most of these "experts" are completely disregarding what they do for people: provide Mental health.

It's been discussed in length and it's pretty much agreed that people that suffer depression tend to smoke. Why? Because it feels good. Simple. It contains things that the body needs to make it through the day. Tar and carbon monoxide aside, tobacco has been making people feel better for hundreds (?) of years.

I quit smoking 3 times last year and once this year. Gum, patches, cold turkey and lastly and most horribly, chantix. :-x

Side effects of chantix may include death. It's a warning. Maybe its not worded like that I forget, but I do know 87 people committed suicide on it last year. Anyway, it basically blocks any and all effects of nicotine. No more feel good.

Sorry I'm off topic. One thing remains constant without cigarettes for me. I feel like crap. No one say that its withdrawal symptoms, I get it. I lasted two years without cigarettes there was still something “missing” as someone else here put it.
Ok so that’s that, anyway, my initial question was at what capacity do people rate healthy? If someone dies a few years early from vaping, but not as quickly as they would with analogs, and they can still enjoy life a little more than they would without either, isn’t that a little healthier than the alternatives?

CrystalLakeDave

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Carbondale PA
Czernobog, I am glad you posted this. I suffer from severe anxeity/panic attacks. I have actually talked with psychiatrists that state nicotine is even used to treat symptoms of schizophrenia (which I don't have, btw). Smoking was always a coping thing and it did help. Of course it is unhealthy to smoke regular cigs, but I think nicotine itself is not as bad and still provides a valuable service to my brain. I wanted to try Chantix, but I figured I'd wind up doing something crazy. A few of my co-workers had some serious problems on it.

Anyway, vaping seems healthier to me. Just the fact that I am coughing and hacking less after 3 days makes me think my body is telling me this is better and not in lung purge mode all the time.

Bulldog44

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Raleigh NC
Czernobog, I am glad you posted this. I suffer from severe anxeity/panic attacks. I have actually talked with psychiatrists that state nicotine is even used to treat symptoms of schizophrenia (which I don't have, btw). Smoking was always a coping thing and it did help. Of course it is unhealthy to smoke regular cigs, but I think nicotine itself is not as bad and still provides a valuable service to my brain. I wanted to try Chantix, but I figured I'd wind up doing something crazy. A few of my co-workers had some serious problems on it.

Anyway, vaping seems healthier to me. Just the fact that I am coughing and hacking less after 3 days makes me think my body is telling me this is better and not in lung purge mode all the time.

Dave sorry to hear about your panic attacks. I used to suffer from them as well but thank GOD I don't really have them anymore. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. ( Actually I probably would ) I too considered going the Chantix route, a friend of mine quit briefly using it. Of course he also told me he began having thoughts of suicide and since I already teeter on that path I thought it may not be a good idea. I do feel healthier, yes I do get slight aches, supposedly from the vaping, but my sinuses are 100 times better, I bet my breathing overall has improved 20% my skin and teeth look better , and when you are as gorgeous as I am already , it is very difficult to improve :pI am also coughing up clear mucus and flem. ( Doesn't that sound sooooo attractive ). So far so good.

Mungo

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
London. UK.
You raise an important point and i'd be very surprised if there are not a great many responses to this thread.

i have clinical depression which has made it impossible for me to work for the past 10 years. The last couple of months has seen profound improvements in my condition due to a new drug regime i was put on which damped down the anxiety i was prone to and the discovery of e-cigs. i am one of the lucky ones who find e-cigs better than smoking and the nicotine helps me to relax.

Last edited:

talbrecht

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2009
NE Texas
Czernobog I also hate that some of the packaging and marketing refers to "healthy." I personally think that Esmoking maybe healthier but the only thing that may be healthy is breathing in purified air. Too many times people use terms to the extreme to try to sell products or make an argument. Simple fact is that we know that cigarettes are about as unhealthy as anything we can do to our bodies. Esmoking is just cutting down on some of those unhealthy aspects. If ecigs were healthy in some way, people would want non smokers to use them to be healthier. These are designed specifically for smokers of cigarettes to have a healthier alternative. Don't be concerned that you haven't stopped smoking completely yet. Go at your own pace and comfort level. Any cigarette NOT smoked is better for you!!!!

CrystalLakeDave

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Carbondale PA
Dave sorry to hear about your panic attacks. I used to suffer from them as well but thank GOD I don't really have them anymore. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. ( Actually I probably would ) I too considered going the Chantix route, a friend of mine quit briefly using it. Of course he also told me he began having thoughts of suicide and since I already teeter on that path I thought it may not be a good idea. I do feel healthier, yes I do get slight aches, supposedly from the vaping, but my sinuses are 100 times better, I bet my breathing overall has improved 20% my skin and teeth look better , and when you are as gorgeous as I am already , it is very difficult to improve :pI am also coughing up clear mucus and flem. ( Doesn't that sound sooooo attractive ). So far so good.

The idea itself of quitting smoking was very scary. I had quit a few years back and didn't smoke or anything for 3 months, but I never had more anxeity. I was at a bar and the next thing I knew I was exhaling. Out of habit even 3 months w/o a cig, I had unknowingly grabbed a lit cig out of my friends ashtray and took a puff. Anyway the cravings were so bad the next day that I started smoking again. The idea of not having all the crap in cigs but not having to quit right now is amazing. I have cut my regular cig smoking in half since I got my 801 on Monday. And the anxeity of "If I don't have another right now, I won't be able to have one till my next break" is gone, cause I can puff off of my 801. I actually feel alot less anxeity in general since Monday and I think as I move totally to e-cigs, I will feel better and better. My cough is really really bad and just since Monday it has improved significantly.

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
My brother-in-law used Chantix successfully to quit smoking BUT it totally changed him. I would not & DO NOT recommend it to anyone. He was a very quiet & peaceful man before. It turned him into someone who can go from 0-60 with anger in a heartbeat. He quit almost 2 years ago and it has gotten somewhat better but not much. I talked to my doc about it and he suggested the anger came from normal withdrawal symptoms but he still has that problem. Luckily he's never gotten violent but it's still worrisome. Plus the big change was, he developed Diabetes while on this drug. There are some reviews of that drug that do state it causes Diabetes. Who knows, but I won't take that chance. My doc wouldn't give it to me because he said it's still too new and there is still too much controversy with it. Just my thoughts.

vapor_addict

Mar 5, 2009
Last weekend I began reading this forum and decided that I had to try this "vaping" rage. I am glad I did. I starting vaping on Monday and have yet to smoke an analog since. Unbelievable really, a 30+ year smoker @ 1 1/2 packs per day, I never would have imagined getting off the cancer sticks with such minimal discomfort. Just proves the corruption of government, tobacco companies and pharma companies in that they are not joining the rave...after all why should they, they really don't care about our health if it means that they will lose bilions in revenue!!!!

In just 3 days of vaping, I can already see marked differences....reduced phlegm, reduced coughing, better taste and smell, fresher smelling office, etc...By they way, I tried everything else, gum, patch, pills, etc...all garbage and a waste of money.

Here's the bad news though.

I am going through cartridges like poop through a goose, so far I have vaped through over 20 cartridges and I have not even finished my third full day!!!!

I am not sure if this has to do with the brand? I purchased the start up kit and cartridges from a retail outlet in Toronto, Canada. I wanted to get something fast because I was anxious to get started and this was the only product available in local retail stores. The unit is very similar looking to a cigarette and approximately the same size. Other than short cartridge life, the unit seems to function well, I get very good hits with plenty of "smoke". Juices for topping up and dripping were not available when I bought my start up supplies so I cannot tell how much of a difference this will make in terms of getting better mileage.

Based on the positive experiences reported on posts on this forum, I tried to order the 901 mini, cartridges, juices etc.. from one of the most recommended sites. Unfortunately, my experience was not so positive. I could not place the order because most pull down menu choices were not available (e.g. black mini LED selector). They did respond to my message within the promised 24 hours and told me that I would be able to select tomorrow (that was two days ago and I am still not able to make a selection).

So I ended up ordering from a new Canadian site, (can't post name because I am newbie). They claim 2 to 4 days delivery but I have not received anything yet. If I can get the usage (and cost) under control, I am sure that my analog cig days are behind me.

I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions, thanks.

CrystalLakeDave

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Carbondale PA
Here's the bad news though.

I am going through cartridges like poop through a goose, so far I have vaped through over 20 cartridges and I have not even finished my third full day!!!!

That s not good at all. I think you might have low nicotine ones? You should not go through that many at all. I smoked 30-40 regulars a day, and with a 801 pen style, I am using 1 Cart a day and smoking about 10 regular cigs. Today I cut to 4 regular cigs, but I am still on 1 cart. Is the plastic end cap off of the carts when you plug them into the atomizer?

Last edited:
Hi Vapor_addict,
Thank you for your post. I am in the same boat as you, living in northern Ontario. I've had to resort to purchasing my kits from China and the USA. I am still waiting for delivery. Good luck with your experience with vaping.
Would you please tell me where you purchased e-cigs in Toronto. I live in northern Ontario, but have friends who could pick them up for me. Looking forward to your response.
PS- I think the posting of names of outlets is okay for newbies, because I have done so previously. However I can't post urls.

vapor_addict

Mar 5, 2009
Picked up the starter kit at a coffee shop at 165 Woodbridge Avenue in Woodbridge Ontario.

Subsequently, I have ordered supplies form ecigarettecanada.com who claim to be based in Ontario. I ordered 2 days ago, the claim to be 2-4 days delivery...nothing yet...hopefully not a rip off outfit.

I also picked up a couple of Canadian links from this forum....

youpuff.com
tabinta.com

pricing seems a little better at both of the above.

vapor_addict

Mar 5, 2009
CrystalLakeDave,

I think your 801 must have more juice in the cartridges. I am not sure what the model I have is, the private lablel is "Smoke Stik". It is not a "pen" style rather it looks like a analog cigarette. Actually, it works great (if it were not for the fact that I have vaped through almost 2 cartridges since I logged into this forum about 2 hours ago).

CrystalLakeDave

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Carbondale PA
vapor_addict,

I guess that makes some sense, i have heard that the pen style lasts for what would be 10-20 cigs depending on what site you go to, but the mini style is less. That just seems like alot to be going through. I am a new vaper and a new member so I don't have the experience to make a good opinion on this. I just hope it works out for both of you. More experienced forum members may have some good advice.

Bellinghamster

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Bellingham, WA USA
so far I have vaped through over 20 cartridges and I have not even finished my third full day!!!!

The unit is very similar looking to a cigarette and approximately the same size.

Yup, the little vaporizers have little carts. I can run through 10 in a day in my M401, no problem at all. It's a logistical fact that I have to keep about 70 carts in rotation if I want to do a "refill-fest" less than once a week. I could use higher nic and fewer carts I'm sure, but I've found that vaping the really high stuff gives me weird heartbeats, etc. I wouldn't worry you're using too many, other than the obvious supply chain problems you mention. My advice is get some more carts and liquid, and get real comfortable with refilling.

Don't panic too badly if it takes a while to settle into a nice routine, smoke analogs as needed, and when you get to a good place with your gear you can make the cut if so desired.

Great thread BTW :)

vapor_addict

Mar 5, 2009
Thanks BellingHampster!!!!

Thought that I was doing something wrong or had crappy product!!!! Like I said earlier, the unit itself works great, very satisfying hits and I really don't crave analogs at all!!! I still can't believe it really, 3 days without tobacco and I am still sane, this is freaken unbelievable!!!!

Hopefully when the juice arrives, the costs will come under contol. If I was just to use the new cartridges, this would be costing me much more than analog (once you factor in the cost of the gear on top of the carts).

What has been your experience?

Czernobog

Feb 26, 2009
United States
I was a little worried about vaping so much the first week too. I have a pilot and some other kind of crappy e-cigs (that don't even compare to the pilot). I initially got the higher dose (as I think a lot of newbies do) and felt kind of...strange. Trust me, if there's one thing you can do to help, it's switch to a lower nic level. I was smoking a pack a day (unless you count drinking...then it goes to about two packs) and thought 24 mg would do it for me. After a week I decided to cut the high nic with a lower and its made me feel great. I'm currently vaping around 14 mg throughout the day and that seems to work for me.

As far as vaping too much nic...I'll just add this. Two cigarettes in the morning (in a row) used to make me sick to my stomach. Five puffs off of 36mg e-liquid made me feel dizzy and light headed (also increased heart rate). 7-9 puffs off of a 14-18 mg cart makes the morning 'cig' feel normal.

Just a thought...I disregarded advice on this forum and regret it. Go for medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread