Dehydration, the old vapers’ tale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
The old vapers’ tale about dehydration goes like this: VG (and PG) are humectants (attract water), so they remove water from vaper’s body and lead to dehydration.

The truth is they do not. They just can not!

At 50% humidity (usual humidity in lungs) bot VG and PG can retain just 20% of water relative to their weight.

http://msdssearch.dow.com/Published...ycol/pdfs/noreg/117-01682.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

http://www.aciscience.org/docs/glycerine_-_an_overview.pdf

So, if somebody decides to vape 50 ml of juice in a day, only 10 ml of water (maximum) will be removed with vapor. Do you call loss of 10 ml of water per day a dehydration?

Granted, vaping is like breathing with mouth (as opposed to nose). Mouth breathing leads to excessively dry mouth, so some people could believe they are dehydrated. Small sip of water will improve things. You do not need much to moisten your mouth. I do not understand why some people want to drink by gallons? All of the excess of water goes into blood, makes heart to pump harder, kidney to work more. Why take things to extreme?

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Excess water goes to kidneys, and from there goes to bladder.......

Most people don't drink enough water, anyway. I am not going to argue about it. Since I started on 50/50, dry mouth, etc, went away. Too much PG is not a good thing.

People just into vaping probably do themselves a favor by taking more fluids, to flush out the toxins.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Most people don't drink enough water anyways and they need to. I drink about 2 liters a day (Half a gallon). When I was in the Army, we would chug a 1 quart canteen every hour to stay hydrated. Vaping makes me thirsty, but taking sips of water to wet your mouth is irrelevant to someone who doesn't drink enough water throughout the day.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
It's all about fluid dynamics and how VG and PG (especially PG) behave as a vapor. True, it'll only absorb about 20% of its mass in water, but since it's a vapor, it also releases that water pretty much immediately. It then absorbs more water. It does this rapidly and repeatedly. Say you vape 20 ml a day (a lot for most folks) you're likely losing twice that much water, just from the properties of the vapor. Paired with mouth breathing, all of that released water vapor is simple exhaled... constantly... along with water you naturally exhale through the mouth... that's good for significantly higher water loss. 20ml a day in vaping might lose you 100-120ml of water. Doesn't sound like much, but when you consider the areas of the body that are losing it, it is a significant amount. The body goes into recovery mode to replenish that water and takes it from the rest of the body maybe a bit too aggresively. And it starts to camel the water, too so that it's being stored, not used... the body thinks it's in a dry, arid, hot environment and reacts accordingly. That's where the problem is.

Just drink more water if you vape. If needed, squirt some saline spray in your nose once or twice a day. Simple solution.

Reactions: Baditude

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
It's all about fluid dynamics and how VG and PG (especially PG) behave as a vapor. True, it'll only absorb about 20% of its mass in water, but since it's a vapor, it also releases that water pretty much immediately. It then absorbs more water. It does this rapidly and repeatedly. Say you vape 20 ml a day (a lot for most folks) you're likely losing twice that much water, just from the properties of the vapor. Paired with mouth breathing, all of that released water vapor is simple exhaled... constantly... along with water you naturally exhale through the mouth... that's good for significantly higher water loss. 20ml a day in vaping might lose you 100-120ml of water.
No. 20ml a day in vaping will make you lose not more than 4 ml of water. Nothing here goes "repeatedly", you exhale only once.

Doesn't sound like much, but when you consider the areas of the body that are losing it, it is a significant amount. The body goes into recovery mode to replenish that water and takes it from the rest of the body maybe a bit too aggresively. And it starts to camel the water, too so that it's being stored, not used... the body thinks it's in a dry, arid, hot environment and reacts accordingly. That's where the problem is.

Just drink more water if you vape. If needed, squirt some saline spray in your nose once or twice a day. Simple solution.
This part makes no sense at all, sorry.

Reactions: jpargana

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The truth is they do not. They just can not!
I have come to believe, or at least am coming to believe, that yes...
The vaping dehydration thing is mostly myth.

And I have a fair amount of history supporting the idea that vaping is dehydrating.
So when I look in the mirror, there I am.
:)

But drinking more water is something most of the people on earth can benefit from.
So I don't really go out of my way to discourage it.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
It's all about fluid dynamics and how VG and PG (especially PG) behave as a vapor. True, it'll only absorb about 20% of its mass in water, but since it's a vapor, it also releases that water pretty much immediately. It then absorbs more water. It does this rapidly and repeatedly. Say you vape 20 ml a day (a lot for most folks) you're likely losing twice that much water, just from the properties of the vapor. Paired with mouth breathing, all of that released water vapor is simple exhaled... constantly... along with water you naturally exhale through the mouth... that's good for significantly higher water loss. 20ml a day in vaping might lose you 100-120ml of water. Doesn't sound like much, but when you consider the areas of the body that are losing it, it is a significant amount. The body goes into recovery mode to replenish that water and takes it from the rest of the body maybe a bit too aggresively. And it starts to camel the water, too so that it's being stored, not used... the body thinks it's in a dry, arid, hot environment and reacts accordingly. That's where the problem is.

can you link us the study that you read on this percentage of water loss per ml of vape consumed???

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I am in the same boat as AT... vaping makes your mouth feel dry but doesnt dehydrate you as everyone has been led to believe... salty pretzel make your mouth feel dry and they dont dehydrate you either
the last info I read was the VG/PG absorbs 40% of it weight/mass in water under optimal conditions.

its all a myth... and will continue to be so... Im amazed at how quickly people will just fall for things and not even give it thought as if it really is true... or not... I will agree that humans need water to survive... and we drink what we need, but to ingest 2-3 times more than normal "cuz vaping dehydrates you" is nonsense...

I think this dehydration thing started cuz there was a time when everyone believed what we exhaled was pure water vapor from vaping... so everyone "saw" all this "water vapor" being lost... ohhh my Im dehydrating was the initial knee jerk reaction.... I need to replace all this water vapor im exhaling by drinking liters upon liters of water.... nope... not the right answer.... the vapor is PG/VG vapor ( 60% PG/VG and 40% water at best conditions)....

anyway... any of the hard core believers of the dehydration myth have some scientific information that VG/PG can absorb/adsorb/retain better than 500%+ of its volume in water have a link to the info... if so, I would love to read it... but until it gets linked/posted.... Im gonna stick with the 40% number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread