Desperately seeking Black Cavendish flavoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmoondreamer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
Tyler, Texas
I know of 4 juices from different vendors that I enjoy, that basically all employ the exact same flavoring of Black Cavendish. I understand that BC is a natural tobacco process, not a flavor per se, but am sure that somebody, somewhere has manufactured this flavor and bottled it. After scouring Google for hours, I found one place that sold NET Black Cavendish, Black Cavendish Extract but it is really pricey. With all 4 juice vendors having the same exact flavor, I'm highly doubting they are using costly NET. Does anyone have any idea where I might find this elusive flavor? Thanks very much

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
I just went through this last week. :) I wanted to find the e-juice equivalent of Captain Black pipe tobacco which is "Black Cavendish and mellowed Burley."

I ended up where you did. That link, btw, is the extract, so you'd only need a small amount to mix with your preferred VG/PG blend. It should mix up to about 20mls. They also have the pre-mixed BC for $8.99 for 15ml. Black Cavendish.

Seedman's makes Black Cavendish (can try a DIY bottle for $1.49 from Wizard Labs Captain Black Tobacco Flavor (SM)) but it is not FDA approved and contains extra ingredients generally frowned upon in vaping guidelines (like Dextrose for one), plus it's made to put on tobacco. Though one person at least who posted to me had it and enjoyed it mixed with other stuff.

If it were me, I'd try the NET stuff. But I also need to pull back the reins on the spending at the moment, so I went to a smoke shop and bought some Captain Black (white pouch) pipe tobacco, then used the quickie extraction method here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/liquid-extraction-tobacco/354182-pipe-tobacco-cigar-extraction.html? to make my own Black Cavendish extraction. The process was quick and easy. Only used enough tobacco to just cover the bottom of a coffee mug, so have plenty left for future extractions. Covered it with PG, then followed process in other thread. (Basically just micro'd it a few secs without letting it simmer.)

I ended up with about 17ml extracted juice after straining. It can smell a little funky right after you do it, but the bitterness goes away and the sweetness fills out with each passing day until it starts to smell exactly like Captain Black when you crack the top and take a whiff. But sitting a few days, at least, is a must.

I then filled a small bottle with 5ml VG and put in an equal amount of the extraction.

So I just tried it 5 minutes ago in my new PT2 on my new Vamo. :) And it is REALLY interesting and QUITE NICE. I didn't add any other flavoring to it. I can't really remember what Captain Black tastes like when smoked, but I remember it tasted different than how it smells... So can't say how close this is. It doesn't really taste too much like BC smells, but there is a hint of that. But it has a very nice smokey, tobacco'y flavor I really like.

I will still get some N-E-T.com BC sometime just to try, but I really like this and am looking forward to trying new ways to extract this BC tobacco and play with the flavor.

BTW I also contacted a vendor who sells whole tobacco leaves, unprocessed, looking for BC leaves. I emailed him and he emailed back and said they don't carry BC leaves but that they will be carrying a BC flavoring spray to spray on tobacco. So I don't know if that means the unique flavor of BC comes from a spray or ... ? I thought it was the blend of BC leaves and Burley. But I know nothing about tobacco.

Anyway, FWIW, don't discard the idea of making your own BC extraction!

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
before I started DIY I vaped some flavors from Ahlusion. they mentioned cavendish in their descriptions. I know the liquids I tried were really good and hoped someday to make something close but knew I would need some Cavendish to start. I read some of the info you mentioned about extraction and think I can do that. glad to see some others are interested in Cavendish. right now my mixing is going in a few directions so i'll need to do some balancing. I did notice while reading the extracting thread the they were for the most part using expensive cigars, the ones they liked actually smoking. and, that makes perfect sense. when I was trying to quit cigs before I found vaping I would smoke a cigar now and again which I thought was fine since I did not inhale. I found these little cigars that came in a glass tube and cost around $1.00. I really liked the smell and would find myself just smelling the glass vile they came in. I think i'll try one of those using the shot glass method. Also, can you provide the name of the vendor who sells whole tobacco leaves?

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
before I started DIY I vaped some flavors from Ahlusion. they mentioned cavendish in their descriptions. I know the liquids I tried were really good and hoped someday to make something close but knew I would need some Cavendish to start. I read some of the info you mentioned about extraction and think I can do that. glad to see some others are interested in Cavendish. right now my mixing is going in a few directions so i'll need to do some balancing. I did notice while reading the extracting thread the they were for the most part using expensive cigars, the ones they liked actually smoking. and, that makes perfect sense. when I was trying to quit cigs before I found vaping I would smoke a cigar now and again which I thought was fine since I did not inhale. I found these little cigars that came in a glass tube and cost around $1.00. I really liked the smell and would find myself just smelling the glass vile they came in. I think i'll try one of those using the shot glass method. Also, can you provide the name of the vendor who sells whole tobacco leaves?

Sounds like a good plan there. I like Prime Time Raspberry and Grape cigarillos and plan on trying NET with those as well. Though using pure tobacco leaves is cleaner and better than flavored tobacco products with all their cr@p, which is why I went hunting for tobacco leaves. I actually wanted organic tobacco, but this is the place I found: Tobacco Leaf, Unprocessed Tobacco Retail and Wholesale, All Natural Tobacco Leaf.

Click around on their site... I watched the imbedded videos about the different kinds of tobacco and it was very informative. Since the people they cater to are serious cigar smokers who want perfect leaves without holes for wrappers -- and we don't need that for making NET -- you can get bulk leaves that are less perfect for cheaper. In fact there were "scraps" of a mixture of leaves for $7.99 for 1/2 pound. But even buying whatever leaves you want in bulk was cheap. I was pretty shocked... but also disappointed that they don't carry Cavendish. Though I am still not clear if Cavendish is a type of tobacco leaf, or the end result of a process that they put some-other-named tobacco through.

IAC I plan to buy some leaves from there once I learn more about what kind I might enjoy. :) Don't forget to post back and let us know how your NET went. And remember... NETs sometimes have to sit at least a few days to become really flavorful, so don't be disappointed if you taste it right away and the flavor is real light or even bitter.... just wait. It gets better. :)

EDIT: I should add that when I contacted the tobacco leaf place and asked about Black Cavendish leaves, he wrote back and said they plan to start carrying Black Cavendish flavor spray and asked if I'd be interested in that. I then told him I actually needed the leaves for making an extraction for e-cigarettes, so the flavor spray wouldn't work. But for all I know this is how they make Captain Black .... by using any old leaves and spraying this flavoring on... OK... I just Googled and that's not how they make BC... how interesting! Here's a Wiki quote:

"Cavendish is the process of curing and cutting that is used to amplify the natural flavors of tobacco leaves. The varieties of tobacco leaves most commonly used for cigars and pipes are: Kentucky, Virginia, and Burley.

"The process begins by pressing the tobacco leaves into a cake, approximately one inch thick. Next, heat is applied to the cake using fire, or, steam, and the tobacco is allowed to ferment.[1] After that, the fermented cakes are cut into slices and packed into pipes. Finally, flavoring may be added before the leaves are pressed. English Cavendish uses a dark flue or fire cured Virginia, which is steamed and then stored under pressure to permit it to cure and ferment for several days or weeks.

"There are several colors (including the well-known Black Cavendish), blends, and flavors of Cavendish. Modern blends include flavors and ingredients such as cherry, chocolate, coconut, rum, strawberry, vanilla, walnut, and bourbon."

So that's why they don't carry BC... because they are selling raw leaves, not processed leaves, and that sounds pretty involved process. Would make it more expensive too. Next stop... how to make your own BC tobacco from getting the raw leaves... and here's how!

http://wholeleaftobaccollc.com/forum/showthread.php?637-Making-Black-Cavendish-Pipe-Tobacco

Wow... this is really cool. So you can buy any leaves that appeal from the tobacco place, make your own BC, then make your own BC NET.

This is so much more fun than smoking!! LOL!! :D

Last edited:

darkmoondreamer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
Tyler, Texas
Good morning! I posted this question on a DIY Facebook last night, and look what I found! "reply from FB" "Here you go- though you may want to add a couple flavors to make it worth the trip from Poland- Listen to that DIY safety replay says on the Naturally Extracted Tobacco site-the only extracted nic Im using is coming from a lab-btw- those are not really tobacco extracts in the strictest sense- they are tobacco 'steeps'- tobacco flavored VG- not to mention the amount of organic material, including whatever plant additives applied to the leaf before drying- save your $$- the Vera Garden stuff from Inawera is good-and very concentrated-the shipping not too bad-maybe 8 bucks flat rate-"

http://www.inaweraflavours.com/en/s...c&search_query=cavendish&submit_search=Search

Last edited:

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Good morning! I posted this question on a DIY Facebook last night, and look what I found! "reply from FB" "Here you go- though you may want to add a couple flavors to make it worth the trip from Poland- Listen to that DIY safety replay says on the Naturally Extracted Tobacco site-the only extracted nic Im using is coming from a lab-btw- those are not really tobacco extracts in the strictest sense- they are tobacco 'steeps'- tobacco flavored VG- not to mention the amount of organic material, including whatever plant additives applied to the leaf before drying- save your $$- the Vera Garden stuff from Inawera is good-and very concentrated-the shipping not too bad-maybe 8 bucks flat rate-"

Search - Inawera Flavors

Thanks for yet another great option!! FTR their minimum order is $26.58 USD before shipping, so for me that's a no-go for now. If I had $35 to spend on juice I would have ordered from N-E-T and Ahlusions before getting this far. :D But am adding this new place to my list for future shopping because you get a lot of juice for your money. 10ml bottle DIY concentrate for about $3.50 USD, and the fact they are lab-certified is great.

BTW, where is the "DIY safety replay" you mentioned?

Also, please let us know if you order this and try it. :)

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Trayce I looked and couldn't find the DIY safety replay either. I plan on making an order soon and will report back to you. It appears that a big majority of European and UK vapors use this flavor company as their main flavor supplier.

Can't wait to hear your results!

I happened to be on TFA site and noticed they also added a Black Cavendish DIY tobacco flavor to their lineup, called Black Honey: Perfumers Apprentice - Black Honey Flavor DIY concentrate, so can try a bottle of 4ml for just $1.40 (+shipping of a couple bucks, so worth it to try a few other flavors too). :) I have visited TFA often but didn't connect the name to Black Cavendish and never read the flavor description until now. So I managed to squeeze just a few bucks out of the budget to get that for fun with a few others.

BTW the Captain Black extraction I did still tastes great, only took seconds, and will make a TON of juice from one $8 pouch of Captain Black. But I am curious what the TFA Black Honey tastes like since it is not made with any tobacco ingredients. So I will also report back after trying that. The NET extraction I made feels more like smoke than vapor. :D Wouldn't mind all the taste without any risk of tobacco additives. But I would like to make my own BC from raw leaves and do another NET with that. Much purer, I'd guess.

Good luck with your BC and don't forget to let us know how you like the taste!

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Another way to go is to use blending tobacco for an extract. For around $4 an ounce which will give you 120 ml of extract, it's cheap enough. With several Cavendish' to choose from and no additives.

Blending Pipe Tobaccos

Great find for buying small amounts of natural tobacco leaves!!! And Cavendish besides!! About half the price of brick-and-mortar outlets for pipe tobacco and none of the additives.

Also a fantastic way to try new tobaccos before buying in bulk. I'm thinking buy some Cavendish from BPT and a few other tobaccos besides... then get the leaves I like in bulk from LeafOnly and make my own Cavendish with them for NET. (I don't know why, but making my own Cavendish sounds really fun.) Maybe I just want 'a cook'. You know, get my Breaking Bad on... :D

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
Great find for buying small amounts of natural tobacco leaves!!! And Cavendish besides!! About half the price of brick-and-mortar outlets for pipe tobacco and none of the additives.

Also a fantastic way to try new tobaccos before buying in bulk. I'm thinking buy some Cavendish from BPT and a few other tobaccos besides... then get the leaves I like in bulk from LeafOnly and make my own Cavendish with them for NET. (I don't know why, but making my own Cavendish sounds really fun.) Maybe I just want 'a cook'. You know, get my Breaking Bad on... :D

Vaping Bad - Indeed!

darkmoondreamer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
Tyler, Texas
I ordered this today after much research.....I've told you that at least 4 vendors all sell Black cavendish type juices that all use the same basic flavor. I am convinced it has to be a standard flavoring for ease of use when created huge batches of juices. A busy vendor wouldn't have time to make his own NET constantly, or even spend a lot of money on costly ready to go NET juice......I don't know why, but I'm thinking this is it.....What I'm looking for. I ordered some tonight. The tobacco I'm looking for will taste like a dark cavendish with traces of cream and vanilla and rich chocolate, and be a heavy flavored vape that the flavor will linger on your tongue. I'll let you know how it goes, wish me luck! :) 10 ml Tobacco Flavor Dark Vapure (FA)

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
[...]The tobacco I'm looking for will taste like a dark cavendish with traces of cream and vanilla and rich chocolate, and be a heavy flavored vape that the flavor will linger on your tongue. I'll let you know how it goes, wish me luck! :) 10 ml Tobacco Flavor Dark Vapure (FA)

Fantastic, sounds delish! "GOOD LUCK!" :D Let us know for sure how it comes out!

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
[...] a fantastic way to try new tobaccos before buying in bulk. I'm thinking buy some Cavendish from BPT and a few other tobaccos besides... then get the leaves I like in bulk from LeafOnly and make my own Cavendish with them for NET. (I don't know why, but making my own Cavendish sounds really fun.) Maybe I just want 'a cook'. You know, get my Breaking Bad on... :D

Vaping Bad - Indeed!

Vaping Bad, LOL!!! Oh man, I see a YouTube parody.... two crazy vapors in hazmat suits -- bottles of nic and DIY flavors everywhere... steamed tobacco leaves drying over hangers... pots of NET juice boiling... that would be really funny! :D

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
FTR I received the "Black Honey" DIY flavor from TFA which they advertise as being for Captain Black (black cavendish) seekers. It does have the smell of Captain Black but the taste was totally NOT anywhere near, to my taste buds, and so bad I will not use this flavor. I added the recommended % of drops, so it wasn't that I was too heavy with it. It didn't even taste like tobacco to me, much less black cavendish. But to be fair I did make my own N.E.T from real Captain Black tobacco, so I have "perfect" Captain Black juice already that's a high standard to live up to, though I did expect the TFA Black Honey to at least resemble the general flavor, or even to taste like some other tobacco flavor I'd enjoy.

YMMV.

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
FTR I received the "Black Honey" DIY flavor from TFA which they advertise as being for Captain Black (black cavendish) seekers. It does have the smell of Captain Black but the taste was totally NOT anywhere near, to my taste buds, and so bad I will not use this flavor. I added the recommended % of drops, so it wasn't that I was too heavy with it. It didn't even taste like tobacco to me, much less black cavendish. But to be fair I did make my own N.E.T from real Captain Black tobacco, so I have "perfect" Captain Black juice already that's a high standard to live up to, though I did expect the TFA Black Honey to at least resemble the general flavor, or even to taste like some other tobacco flavor I'd enjoy.

YMMV.

Just for reference, the tfa black honey flavor needs to steep around 4-5 weeks.
For the first few weeks it has a strong floral perfume taste.
Give it some time and revisit it later before you decide.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Trayce

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Multiversal
Thanks, I actually happen to come upon that very information by chance in a completely different and unrelated thread just tonight! I already threw out the stuff I mixed but did not toss the Honey Black, so will mix a small batch again and put it away for 6 weeks and see. Thanks for the tip. And you're right, it was like vaping floral perfume. Egads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread