Developed a cough this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
I've been vaping heavily since February with no ill affects. This last week however, I've developed a cough. I'm not sure if this is vaping related or not. The only changes in my vaping habits i can think of are...

* recently got a more efficient MOD, so vaping at slightly higher power now, but still only a 3.7v device

* got a new batch of liquid, same liquids as i've been using for several months, just a new batch of it, i did get a new flavor in that batch that i haven't had before

* started a new atty last weekend that i've been using all week

... so no significant changes... but now i have this cough and some congestion... maybe i just have a cold but it doesn't feel like a cold... it started with the cough and the congestion seems to have followed?

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
So... my lungs are definitely somewhat congested, not so much my nose... i'm thinking this likely does have something to do with vaping since i've never experienced anything quite like this before? I have had congestion in my lungs in the past, but only after lengthy colds. I've never before had congestion just arise in my lungs out of the blue.

Here's what i'm doing it about at this time, hopefully it will subside...

* consciously staying better hydrated
* consciously vaping less
* laying off the LR attys, using std resistance stuff only for now
* avoiding use of my newest batch of liquids, instead finishing off other stuff that i've been w/o issue for some time

And if it doesn't clear up in a couple of days...

* layoff vaping altogether and go on the patch/gum until it does subside
* idk... this might be worth a trip to the doctor if the measures i'm taking already don't resolve the issue... COPD, or worse, lung cancer come to mind

Last edited:

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Vapor I'm sorry to hear you are feeling crummy. I am in a similar situation and wonder if you mind sharing what flavors were in your newest batch of liquids and who they came from. If you don't feel comfortable posting it openly, please send me a PM. I'd like to see if we have anything in use that is in common.

elyn

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Washington
I can appreciate your fears. Probably to ease your mind you should schedule a doctors visit.

I had a bit of congestion this week, as well. In my case, it's allergies and also vaping 12 mg strength is starting to feel too strong -- a little like smoking an unfiltered analog. Yeah, if you could post what liquids and flavors you've been vaping I'd like to know that info, as well. Or PM me, if you like.
Hope you feel lots better by tomorrow, get some good rest.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
I'm hesitant to post what liquids I've been using because I don't want to cause any alarm with a particular vendor, especially since i have no reason to believe it actually has to do with their liquids. I'll send PMs.

I actually wonder if my new higher power PV might be the difference that mattered? My LR attys just got slightly more horsepower as a result. You know that 'burnt' feeling you get in the back of you throat with badly 'scorched' liquid. I don't think that's just a function of how hot the vapor is, I think that's the result of some chemical reaction (idk, i'm not a chemist) that the heat in the atty has caused in the liquid being vaporized. Maybe I've been inhaling more of that than I had been previously... and my lungs don't like it. I did just start a new LR atty last weekend, and they always start out a little 'hotter' and a little more scorch prone to begin with. That coupled with a better power supply might be what triggered this.

That's the logic that made me layoff the LR attys for now.

It's still there, but I think it is getting better... coughing less i think.

FrozenNorth

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2010
Fairbanks, AK
www.arcticvapor.com
Chances are that you have an upper respiratory infection, this is not unusual for this time for year. It could be related to vaping if you were new, but I doubt that after all this time you would suddenly develop a problem! Even with a switch to LR atties and new high Voltage PV you should not be having this problem. BTW I am a chemist, and while heat does often cause chemical reactions in nature, in the case of HV Vaping what you are most likely feeling is actually the components of your e-liquid vaporizing more fully. Many of the components of e-liquid have a higher heat of vaporization than the standard atty can produce. HV vaping produces higher temperatures which would bring many of these components to their vapor point, this would likely be what causes the nasty burnt taste as well, since many flavors are denatured at high temperatures.
Hope this helps!

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Chances are that you have an upper respiratory infection, this is not unusual for this time for year. It could be related to vaping if you were new, but I doubt that after all this time you would suddenly develop a problem! Even with a switch to LR atties and new high Voltage PV you should not be having this problem. BTW I am a chemist, and while heat does often cause chemical reactions in nature, in the case of HV Vaping what you are most likely feeling is actually the components of your e-liquid vaporizing more fully. Many of the components of e-liquid have a higher heat of vaporization than the standard atty can produce. HV vaping produces higher temperatures which would bring many of these components to their vapor point, this would likely be what causes the nasty burnt taste as well, since many flavors are denatured at high temperatures.
Hope this helps!

Thank you for your input Frozen. I have discovered my problem as well and it is being taken care of...in my case it was a nic lvl too high combined with fall allergies.

Those of us who posted here kept our discussions to PMs because we did not want to throw any blame at our beloved vendors and suppliers or create any *panic* here on ECF. But we are all human and mistakes are made sometimes. We wanted to compare notes to see if we had flavorings, juices or vendors in common :)

Vapor, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, so am I.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Vapor, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, so am I.

Thnx! Glad you're getting well too. I think another day or two of staying more than well hydrated and my lungs will be all in the clear.

On a different tack... this little stint has introduced me to snus as yet another means of satisfying my nicotine needs... I must say... not bad... nothing at all like the coppenhagen/skoal type stuff that i knew of as "smokeless" tobacco from years past. There's a subforum here about snus for the curios... Smokeless tobacco

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Just for what it's worth...I work in a "public place" and half of the people that come in right now are coughing and sniffing at me !!! They have been for about a week...today I think I've got it starting...

Awwww, tis the season huh :(

Here's to all of us feeling better soon!

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Awwww, tis the season huh :(

Here's to all of us feeling better soon!

I've had the same thing for a few days and I didn't just switch to HV vaping.
I thought it was because I was vaping too much, dripping, the new juice, etc.

Come to find out, it's just what's going around. Whew!!!

I wasn't about to give up vaping. Of course, I can remember the old days of smoking and not stopping when the flu or cold hit either. lol

Thanks for your timely post. Hope you are all better!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread