Devices with ohm checkers built in

Status
Not open for further replies.

t.d

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2009
SoCal
I'm looking for a stand alone ohm reader for 510 devices, or a cost effective mod that accurately displays ohms. I've been rebuilding my own coils on a mech mod, finally checking my work with my friends provari, and finally felt the need to check the resistance on my coils after rebuild. What I though was a 2-2.4 ohm coil was actually 1.6 lol. Mesh tastes great a higher watts :)

guppy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Southern California
That's the one I'm talking about lol I have never used one but I do see it in a lot of "how to" videos on YouTube. I want to pick one up but I've been spending all of my money on mods and juice since I have the vamo to check ohms. I don't like checking ohms on a provari because it fires whenever you check ohms...

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
I think a dedicated atomizer ohm meter would be a waste of money. You can pick up a cheap vom (volt/ohm meter) for well under $10 from Harbor Freight or the web. For around $40-60, there are lots of VV PV's out there which will display resistance. The Vamo is a good unit (I have one), but there is also the Lavatube, Lambo 4.0, Young June (Spelling?), Gripper, and, of course the old faithful the ProVari but that is a lot more expensive. New ones are sprouting faster than mushrooms in the Springtime. There are a lot of arguments about tempering a coil on a Genesis style atomizer with the Peter K method without a wick first using low voltage-that is an advantage of the VV units. It is the method I use, and it seems to work well. Pricing and availability seem to be moving targets in this market. Suppliers like MadVapes sell vv kits with displays. People will have their favorites, but you have a lot of choices. Nothing beats a little research, and there is plenty of information on ECF. Good Luck

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Provari checks voltage and resistance under load and probably uses the same routine to check ohms, but with a mode change. It's probably just a rom based routine that happens to do both that way. Coils vary widely in resistance on most atomizers. It's a mass produced technique that's probably driven by piece part numbers instead of quality based checks. The Chinese obviously aren't using the Deming production philosophy.

Right now, I'm vaping a Vision Vivi Nova head that is labeled 2.8 ohms but reads 3.2 on the Provari. When I check it with my Northern Tools semi-Fluke clone meter, it reads 2.3 ohms after I subtract lead resistance.

On my Harbor Freight Cen-Tech cheapo meter the same coil reads 3.4 ohms. If the Provari is right, the $3 meter is more accurate. Coils will change over time and that's probably because of the silicon grommet press fit nature of their construction. We wouldn't want solder in our heated vapor producing device, now would we?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread