DID clone/Griffin problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I'm setting up my griffin with a hybrid wick, 500 ss mesh with a silica core. I'm wrapping it with the included wire, I'm guessing its 28-30 gage. My zmax will say 2.2 ohms then abruptly go to .8/.7 -1.0 ohms. I normally use nikrothal 80 on my phoenix with a vertical ss wick but the griffin is popping it every time, because its really thin, much thinner than the included wire that came with the griffin. I have rolled and seasoned my wick, maybe I have a short in the device? Any tips would be helpful

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
There is definitely a short on the wick/coil somewhere.

Do you have a mechanical that you could throw it on to pulse he shorts out? That's the easy way of doing things, just dry everything out and pulse the coil until it glows evenly and the resistance stays the same. Then add juice and check for hotspots from loose wraps.

If you don't have a mechanical to pulse the shorts out, your other options are slightly moving the coil's wraps around while checking resistance to see if you can get the coil to stop shorting, or totally redoing the entire thing and starting with a fresh coil and a re-oxidized wick.

I guess it's also possible that there is no short, but instead a loose connection. If there is a short, the real resistance of the coil should be in the higher range, and it should wander into the low range when shorting out. If it's a loose connection, the real resistance would be the lower range, and it will wander into the higher range. You didn't say the # of wraps so there is no way to tell, but I'm assuming it's probably a coil in the 2ohm range shorting out and showing low resistance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread