• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Did everybody relapse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tybin

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
WA
hi Nola and TJ. I saw someone vaping at a meeting once. not sure i have the kajonas to do that myself, but it got me interested:)
Hi. 12 years here. Yaaaa. Trying to get this vaping going-still smoking analogs. I guess about half analogs and half vaping. The first time I saw someone vaping was after a meeting that was held in a hospital. We were still in the room cleaning up and I was thinking "gosh he can't wait to go outside to smoke". "Tsk Tsk". Well that's what I get for judging. I did think-"why don't I smell the cigarette?" Anyway-hello to you all and am glad I found this group.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hello everybody :D
    I'm Feuille and I've been clean for 6 months. It's so lovely to have this forum here. Recovery is feeling a good bit easier for the past few weeks, though I have not had to face any real triggers, so must guard against being complacent.

I hope you are all well. Looking forward to hearing from others.

Xx

Welcome, Feuille. 6 months is great! Hope you've been able to make good friends in the program.

Triggers? Well, sometimes I used to think of triggers as single events- death in family, smelling someones glass of beer, whatever. I think I've come to think of them now more as the last straw on the camels back type of thing. I guess that's what you mean by not being complacent? Staying ahead of the game? Great idea.

I think being really involved in the programs helped me alot. I used to hit 21 meetings a week! Went to a 21 day program also. Actually I think I've been to three 21 day programs,lol. Third one I was ready to get sober.

I've been to NA, AA, Al-Anon and helped start ACOA in my area.

Best wishes for a continued sobriety-Bob

Foxman

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2012
    Trussville al
    DAMN there is life in here, lol. Fuillel none of needs a trigger but breath. Thats what PHONE numbers are for. I've still got my original book of numbers from 1989, lol I'm glad I didn't delete this save dthread, lol. Glad this thing might come back to life. I just lost my younger brother a month ago, and the first thought when I got the call was to pick up the phone.

Feuille

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2012
    Hello Bob, TJ and Foxman,

It moves, it stirs, it lives :D

By triggers I meant that using situations or major life stressors have not come up since I stopped using. Plus I simply haven't had access to the stuff I was using. Because it's been pretty easy to avoid using as a result, I don't want to get complacent about the dangers ahead.

21 meetings in a week is phenomenal - you must have been in a big city. There are only three a week where I live (it's an island) and no NA or Al-Anon, so hoping that one of those will suit me. May start up NA meetings when I have a bit more recovery under my belt as that would be more appropriate than gate-crashing AA :p

Debating whether or not to use online meetings, as I also have internet addiction, specifically to supporting people on self help websites, so it's a tricky one. Talking about myself is unusual, but is still potentially indulging that addiction. I don't know.

That's brilliant you phoned someone on hearing of the loss of your brother. Was it hard to make that choice or was it ok? Were you able to stay sober during the initial bereavement?

I loathe phones so much I'd happily go back to the misery of using and all the consequences before I'd ring someone up, and that wouldn't even be on a bad day or at a funny time of the morning. Does anybody have experience of how to negotiate this, or heard from someone who has found a way round it? I appreciate that may sound like an excuse to use or something, but I am just saying how it is in the hope of finding a realistic solution. I think I could cope with text messaging, though only have access to a phone for half an hour a day.

Bit ridiculous, and it won't be permanent, but that's the situation for now. Luckily I do have monthly access to a group on the mainland, and am hoping to do a step two there next week for the second time.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better and hear you share as time goes on :)

Would it be worth ressurecting some of the threads on page two of this forum so they are more obvious to newcomers at first glance?

Xx

Foxman

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2012
    Trussville al
    Well it's just part of life. BUT one thing my sponsor BEAT into my head early on is That IF your convinced your an alcholic or addict, It's a BIG start to the recovery process. Did I think of a drink, NO. But it did cross my mind a few days later for about 10 seconds. But my sponsor also tought me to "Think it thru". In other words when it does go thru my mind as a thought to think if it would do any good to drink over it. HELL NO. I know me well enough to know that FOR ME to drink is to DIE. I barely made it thru recovery this time, and DON'T think I have another recovery in me. I LOVED IT TOO MUCH, lol. I trust in the program to help me thru anything that comes along. I use the steps in EVERY ASPECT of my life.

Feuille

ECF Veteran
    May 16, 2012
    Yeah, that moment to pause and consider "what will this do to me?" is so vital. And if it left you for dead it will kill you next time you pick up, because it is a progressive illness. I suppose it can't be ignored that sometimes we are consciously that destructive though, and can even embrace the horror. THAT is what terrifies me. Using was something that came to me late in life, and didn't last long, but I have been a substanceless addict all my life in my thinking.

Hang on in there, you know you have the power and the resources to make it through.

Been mulling over step 3 for months now, since before attempt one on step two. It feels incredibly important, yet so vast. Excited about it too though, but I think I'll do it a few times, rather than attempt to do it all amazingly all at once, and to take it as a process rather than a goal to achieve.

Wishing you all love tonight, wherever you may be with your addiction and recovery. Sobriety is so precious. Every day is a victory over hell.

Feuille - addict. Clean since 12.01.12

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Yeah, that moment to pause and consider "what will this do to me?" is so vital. And if it left you for dead it will kill you next time you pick up, because it is a progressive illness. I suppose it can't be ignored that sometimes we are consciously that destructive though, and can even embrace the horror. THAT is what terrifies me. Using was something that came to me late in life, and didn't last long, but I have been a substanceless addict all my life in my thinking.

Hang on in there, you know you have the power and the resources to make it through.

Been mulling over step 3 for months now, since before attempt one on step two. It feels incredibly important, yet so vast. Excited about it too though, but I think I'll do it a few times, rather than attempt to do it all amazingly all at once, and to take it as a process rather than a goal to achieve.

Wishing you all love tonight, wherever you may be with your addiction and recovery. Sobriety is so precious. Every day is a victory over hell.

Feuille - addict. Clean since 12.01.12

For me it was/is. I had tried sobriety seriously twice before, and doing this step changed everything. I had thought getting sober would be like turning over a new leaf, but by doing this, it is like getting a whole new leaf!!

Do you have a religious background? Christian sponsor?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread