The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Did everybody relapse?

Discussion in 'Friends of Bill W.' started by John Wayne, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mrjaguar

mrjaguar Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    simi valley, ca
    I'm still here, theres not much activity here most of the time. welcome to the people who didn't know this existed.

2. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'm one of those that didn't know this existed. Been insured by Smith & Wilson for 23 years and counting.

Can we vape in this here meeting?

3. mrjaguar

Jan 2, 2010
    simi valley, ca
    absolutely. welcome! I'm pat.

4. tj99959

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Ty for the welcome Pat, most just call me TJ.

Wonder if this sub forum would work better if we set a time & day of the week to check in.

5. mrjaguar

Jan 2, 2010
    simi valley, ca
    as in did an online meeting or something?

6. tj99959

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    More of just a check in than a meeting.
    IMO it's more about saying "I'm around if anyone need to talk to someone" than anything else.

7. mrjaguar

Jan 2, 2010
    simi valley, ca
    that's a great idea.

8. needtoknow

needtoknow Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 8, 2010
    TN
    I would like that but I work nights and keep strange hours

9. tybin

tybin ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 17, 2010
    WA
    hi Nola and TJ. I saw someone vaping at a meeting once. not sure i have the kajonas to do that myself, but it got me interested:)

10. tj99959

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Nothing wrong with that, lot of drunks keep strange hours. (I know I did)

Funny Tybin, I was also introduced to e-cigs at a meeting.

11. rwechsler

rwechsler Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 2, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Seriously. It's 4:30AM and I have class tomorrow morning...guess I'll always be a tweaker at heart.

12. Feuille

Feuille Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 16, 2012
    Hello everybody :D
    I'm Feuille and I've been clean for 6 months. It's so lovely to have this forum here. Recovery is feeling a good bit easier for the past few weeks, though I have not had to face any real triggers, so must guard against being complacent.

I hope you are all well. Looking forward to hearing from others.

Xx

13. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Welcome, Feuille. 6 months is great! Hope you've been able to make good friends in the program.

Triggers? Well, sometimes I used to think of triggers as single events- death in family, smelling someones glass of beer, whatever. I think I've come to think of them now more as the last straw on the camels back type of thing. I guess that's what you mean by not being complacent? Staying ahead of the game? Great idea.

I think being really involved in the programs helped me alot. I used to hit 21 meetings a week! Went to a 21 day program also. Actually I think I've been to three 21 day programs,lol. Third one I was ready to get sober.

I've been to NA, AA, Al-Anon and helped start ACOA in my area.

Best wishes for a continued sobriety-Bob

14. tj99959

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Funny, the only trigger I ever needed was an empty glass.

15. Foxman

Foxman Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Trussville al
    DAMN there is life in here, lol. Fuillel none of needs a trigger but breath. Thats what PHONE numbers are for. I've still got my original book of numbers from 1989, lol I'm glad I didn't delete this save dthread, lol. Glad this thing might come back to life. I just lost my younger brother a month ago, and the first thought when I got the call was to pick up the phone.

16. Feuille

May 16, 2012
    Hello Bob, TJ and Foxman,

It moves, it stirs, it lives :D

By triggers I meant that using situations or major life stressors have not come up since I stopped using. Plus I simply haven't had access to the stuff I was using. Because it's been pretty easy to avoid using as a result, I don't want to get complacent about the dangers ahead.

21 meetings in a week is phenomenal - you must have been in a big city. There are only three a week where I live (it's an island) and no NA or Al-Anon, so hoping that one of those will suit me. May start up NA meetings when I have a bit more recovery under my belt as that would be more appropriate than gate-crashing AA :p

Debating whether or not to use online meetings, as I also have internet addiction, specifically to supporting people on self help websites, so it's a tricky one. Talking about myself is unusual, but is still potentially indulging that addiction. I don't know.

That's brilliant you phoned someone on hearing of the loss of your brother. Was it hard to make that choice or was it ok? Were you able to stay sober during the initial bereavement?

I loathe phones so much I'd happily go back to the misery of using and all the consequences before I'd ring someone up, and that wouldn't even be on a bad day or at a funny time of the morning. Does anybody have experience of how to negotiate this, or heard from someone who has found a way round it? I appreciate that may sound like an excuse to use or something, but I am just saying how it is in the hope of finding a realistic solution. I think I could cope with text messaging, though only have access to a phone for half an hour a day.

Bit ridiculous, and it won't be permanent, but that's the situation for now. Luckily I do have monthly access to a group on the mainland, and am hoping to do a step two there next week for the second time.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better and hear you share as time goes on :)

Would it be worth ressurecting some of the threads on page two of this forum so they are more obvious to newcomers at first glance?

Xx

17. Feuille

May 16, 2012
    Oh woah, missed that it was only a month ago. Strong condolences go out to you. Do you want to talk about it at all?

Xx

18. Foxman

Foxman Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Trussville al
    Well it's just part of life. BUT one thing my sponsor BEAT into my head early on is That IF your convinced your an alcholic or addict, It's a BIG start to the recovery process. Did I think of a drink, NO. But it did cross my mind a few days later for about 10 seconds. But my sponsor also tought me to "Think it thru". In other words when it does go thru my mind as a thought to think if it would do any good to drink over it. HELL NO. I know me well enough to know that FOR ME to drink is to DIE. I barely made it thru recovery this time, and DON'T think I have another recovery in me. I LOVED IT TOO MUCH, lol. I trust in the program to help me thru anything that comes along. I use the steps in EVERY ASPECT of my life.

19. Feuille

May 16, 2012
    Yeah, that moment to pause and consider "what will this do to me?" is so vital. And if it left you for dead it will kill you next time you pick up, because it is a progressive illness. I suppose it can't be ignored that sometimes we are consciously that destructive though, and can even embrace the horror. THAT is what terrifies me. Using was something that came to me late in life, and didn't last long, but I have been a substanceless addict all my life in my thinking.

Hang on in there, you know you have the power and the resources to make it through.

Been mulling over step 3 for months now, since before attempt one on step two. It feels incredibly important, yet so vast. Excited about it too though, but I think I'll do it a few times, rather than attempt to do it all amazingly all at once, and to take it as a process rather than a goal to achieve.

Wishing you all love tonight, wherever you may be with your addiction and recovery. Sobriety is so precious. Every day is a victory over hell.

Feuille - addict. Clean since 12.01.12

20. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    For me it was/is. I had tried sobriety seriously twice before, and doing this step changed everything. I had thought getting sober would be like turning over a new leaf, but by doing this, it is like getting a whole new leaf!!

Do you have a religious background? Christian sponsor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.