Difference between mechanical vs regular APV like the provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Provari is a regulated device that uses electronic circuitry to allow the user the ability to "regulate" or change power settings.

A mechanical device is a battery tube with a button switch and a 510 connection.
No electronics. Bare bones device. Power is regulated by building the coils to the desired resistance.

Apples and oranges.
They are totally different devices.

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
Provari is a regulated device that uses electronic circuitry to allow the user the ability to "regulate" or change power settings.

A mechanical device is a battery tube with a button switch and a 510 connection.
No electronics. Bare bones device. Power is regulated by building the coils to the desired resistance.

Apples and oranges.
They are totally different devices.

which one do you recommend? one better than the other? provari I don't have to build coils correct? I'm lazy...

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
which one do you recommend? one better than the other? provari I don't have to build coils correct? I'm lazy...

Honestly that's a recommendation I can't make for you. It sounds like you aren't familiar with Ohms law and battery safety so I would avoid a mechanical mod and RBA until you become more familiar with the basics of vaping safely.

I hesitate to recommend a Provari, because they are low powered and very limited (however they are built very well and have a large following).
Provari was top of the regulated food chain at one time, but better devices can be bought today.

I prefer mechanicals over regulated, but that's just me.

havoc1967

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Colorado Springs
If you do decide to go the regulated route the Provari is a fine device. I had one and have nothing bad to say about it. I just prefer mechs myself and so I sold my Provari. Got back almost what I paid for it due to it's well earned great reputation. I keep saving up for my "dream mod" which is a Reo Grand. Sadly, something always seems to come up to deplete my slush fund ;)

A fantastic, and very affordable, device is the MVP. Knowing everything that I know now, that is what I recommend to anybody starting out.

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
I had the Reo Grand but sold it after I failed multiple times on building the RBA. The springs keep melting on me, like it shorted or toasted. I had to keep sending it back to repair, couldn't figure out why it was shorting. And then the coils I build it didn't give me a good vape (big clouds, great throat hit) I just felt like I was sucking the liquid instead of clouds of vape. Got frustrated and sold it after multiple builds and multiple shorting of circuit.. Is the MVP similar to the Reo Grand? I just hate these box mods keep shorting the circuit on me and I end up not vaping for a week or so.
If you do decide to go the regulated route the Provari is a fine device. I had one and have nothing bad to say about it. I just prefer mechs myself and so I sold my Provari. Got back almost what I paid for it due to it's well earned great reputation. I keep saving up for my "dream mod" which is a Reo Grand. Sadly, something always seems to come up to deplete my slush fund ;)

A fantastic, and very affordable, device is the MVP. Knowing everything that I know now, that is what I recommend to anybody starting out.

rhean

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Madison, Wisconsin

Provari for you, then, from the point of view of safety.

Also, the point of getting a regulated device is that they won't FIRE a badly built rebuildable--they won't fire a short. However, if they're not firing, you won't be vaping. That kinda means you still need to build a decent coil if you want to vape it.

MsLoud

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
As suggested, you could get a MVP or even an iStick 30w but as far as tanks, I am loving the Kanger Sub Tank..you can buy pre-built coils .5 or 1.2 for it so you don't have to build...and when you are ready to bud, it comes with a RBA deck ( means you can build your own coils by simply swapping out the deck)!
It is a win-win atomizer. 2n1 :)

Personally, I just picked up the Kanger 40w Box and Kanger Sub Tank and. I love it!

I have plenty of mechs/rebuildables and ProVaris...but this is a great hassle free setup.

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
As suggested, you could get a MVP or even an iStick 30w but as far as tanks, I am loving the Kanger Sub Tank..you can buy pre-built coils .5 or 1.2 for it so you don't have to build...and when you are ready to bud, it comes with a RBA deck ( means you can build your own coils by simply swapping out the deck)!
It is a win-win atomizer. 2n1 :)

Personally, I just picked up the Kanger 40w Box and Kanger Sub Tank and. I love it!

I have plenty of mechs/rebuildables and ProVaris...but this is a great hassle free setup.

Excuse my ignorance...is the MVP or iStick 30w mechnical or regulated?

I assume it's regulated since it have electronics in it...

To me mech means the box mod is all mechanical with wires, electrics, and nothing tech/electronic.

Leaning towards the ProVari or SX Mini because I don't want to get blown up by mechs...
and mostly I just wanna vape flavors and blow clouds.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
What mod you use has nothing whatever to do with whether or not you build coils -- the coils go in the atomizer, not the mod. The mod also has little to do with the quality of the vape (it has a little to do with it, but not as much as the atomizer itself).

If you aren't yet even at the level of building coils, you don't want a mech; you have to be sure of safety yourself, with those, since there is no circuitry to do it for you.

Of those you listed, I'd suggest the iStick 30w -- best price and performance for that level of vaping. As far as I can tell, the only reason to get a Provari is to show people "I've got a Provari!" and to illustrate that you have an enormous amount of disposable income.

Andria

Niten13

Verified Member
Nov 18, 2014
Tigard, OR, USA
Excuse my ignorance...is the MVP or iStick 30w mechnical or regulated?

I assume it's regulated since it have electronics in it...

To me mech means the box mod is all mechanical with wires, electrics, and nothing tech/electronic.

Leaning towards the ProVari or SX Mini because I don't want to get blown up by mechs...
and mostly I just wanna vape flavors and blow clouds.

Provari is more for the Pro Vape enthusiasts.. Look at the Istick 30 or 50 watt, you will not have to worry about batteries blowing up or using Li ion cells. Recharge with a USB wall charger and go..

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA
I will echo what's already been stated.

For your level of vaping, you should consider an iStick 30w or iStick 50w. Safe, powerful, long lasting mods for budget price. Easy.

Avoid a Provari or anything that expensive - you simply don't need it (and the Provari, while being hailed for high quality, is very underpowered compared to the current generation of mods). If you want something that will perform like a Provari, get an iTaste SVD 2.0, they are around 50 dollars and every bit as good. Much like REOs, the Provari is for enthusiasts.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I had the Reo Grand but sold it after I failed multiple times on building the RBA. The springs keep melting on me, like it shorted or toasted. I had to keep sending it back to repair, couldn't figure out why it was shorting. And then the coils I build it didn't give me a good vape (big clouds, great throat hit) I just felt like I was sucking the liquid instead of clouds of vape. Got frustrated and sold it after multiple builds and multiple shorting of circuit.. Is the MVP similar to the Reo Grand? I just hate these box mods keep shorting the circuit on me and I end up not vaping for a week or so.

I made the following modifications to my REO.

Had two larger holes [ONe on each side] drilled for better airflow.

I got around the Coil Issue. Just pick up a regular auto fuse at a hardwarde store. Unscrew the spring and substitute. I went a step further and bought Silver .99 wire and wrapped the fuse. No protection but also lowered voltage drop by around .05 V.

As for building, if you are in an area with a local vaping store. Have them build a dual coil on a reomizer 2 for you. Then just change the wicking yourself as needed. My vapor store builds last over a month.

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
I made the following modifications to my REO.

Had two larger holes [ONe on each side] drilled for better airflow.

I got around the Coil Issue. Just pick up a regular auto fuse at a hardwarde store. Unscrew the spring and substitute. I went a step further and bought Silver .99 wire and wrapped the fuse. No protection but also lowered voltage drop by around .05 V.

As for building, if you are in an area with a local vaping store. Have them build a dual coil on a reomizer 2 for you. Then just change the wicking yourself as needed. My vapor store builds last over a month.

Way out of my league...

canonikon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2012
ny
what's the difference between the 30w and 50w? more battery life? and where do you guys recommend I can buy them from? Does fasttech sell legit iStick 30w?
I will echo what's already been stated.

For your level of vaping, you should consider an iStick 30w or iStick 50w. Safe, powerful, long lasting mods for budget price. Easy.

Avoid a Provari or anything that expensive - you simply don't need it (and the Provari, while being hailed for high quality, is very underpowered compared to the current generation of mods). If you want something that will perform like a Provari, get an iTaste SVD 2.0, they are around 50 dollars and every bit as good. Much like REOs, the Provari is for enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA
Avoid buying items that include batteries from Fasttech. Everything else is fair game there though. Stuff with batteries can get hung up in shipping.

Here's a place to get the iSticks.

iStick 30W by Eleaf

iStick 50W by Eleaf

The 50w is a little bigger, has a higher mah rating (longer lasting) and can go up to 50 watts, where the 30w is a little smaller in hand, and has a little lower mah rating, and can only go up to 30 watts.

I don't know what you're using for toppers (clearomizer, RTA, RDA?) so I can't recommend which would be a better buy based on that. If size is important, go with the 30w, if duration and power are important, go with the 50w.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Well as a former pro v user and solid supporter of them. They are built like a tank, and you wont ever need to buy another one cause they almost never fail.

I use just mechs now, still got my pro in a box.
mechs are something that are easy to use but do require a little knowledge and willingness to do more hands on for better results.

But something like a subtank on a mech is pretty simple.

Many dont understand that as a battery in a mech dies so does the vapor out put.

Regulated mods hold power, if you set 4v you stay at 4 v till the battery dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread