Mississippi
Reactions: stols001

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
When measuring by weight; one needs to consider not only the weight of the liquids being mixed, but also the weight of the container being mixed in. I just weighed an empty glass boston round bottle (w/o cap), and it was 39 grams all by itself. That leaves only 61 grams for ingredients. Of course, if you are intending to mix in a plastic container, then it can weigh significantly less.

Just be aware of potential limitations.:D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
You also tare the weight after each ingredient basically putting the weight back to zero.
Just to be clear, taring the current weight does not increase the overall capacity of a scale.
Does the weight of the bottle actually count in the 100 grams once it is tared out?
Yes.

• Agree

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Well I don't want to invest too much in a scale at first. I might get bored with DIY-ing. And I'll be using 30ml plastic bottles.
That certainly sounds reasonable. If you are aware of the limitations, and it still meets your needs, I see no reason to say "don't." @ceeceeisme speaks well of hers.:)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Just to be clear, taring the current weight does not increase the overall capacity of a scale.

Yes.
You might want to try it as it does with the one I have. I have a Trition 3 660G scale and I just tried the following.

I put a 600 Gram weight on it, tared it. Then put a 200G weight on it and it read 200G. I tared it again and then put another 200 gram weight on it. It also read 200G.

So that scale was able to accurately measure a 200 gram weight after it was tared with 800G weights. It is a 660G scale so if what you say is correct it should have failed.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I have another cheapo 500G scale and tried the same thing. It doesn't increase the capacity of the second scale. So may depend on the design of the scale.
I have three different digital scales, by 3 different manufacturers, and none of the allow me to exceed the stated capacity (yes; I've tried). Yours is the first one I have heard of doing this. Interesting... :)

• Agree

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
This scale.

MyWeigh | TRITON T3
TRITON-T3.jpg

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Yep. I still wouldn't count (or recommend) on any specific model/brand doing that, without someone verifying the ability, as you have done for the Triton T3. Even with our extremely small sample of 5 scales (your 2 + my 3) that is only a 1 in 5 chance. However, I freely acknowledge the my initial statement, as an absolute, is wrong.:)

I am curious; what happens if you exceed the 660g "capacity" without taring? Will it then give you an error message? Or, like taring, does it continue to read correctly?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I have two of the Triton 3 scales one that 660G capacity and measures to .1 gram. Another that weights 400g to .01 gram and both do the same thing. Tare it out and it still weighs correctly over the capacity listed.

I just put the 500g weight and both 200g weights on the 660G scale without taring any off. The screen said O_LD. I presume it means overload.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread