Direct drip - is there any substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColKurtz

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC USA
I've been vaping about a month using 510s. One of the things I've noticed is that it's difficult for me to get good vapor production without direct dripping. I purchased some pyramid tea bags and tried that mod... I think I noticed additional vapor vs. standard carts but it was marginal at best.

I seem to get 8 or 9 good hits off of 2 drops using direct drip, but then vapor production goes way down and I start getting an unpleasant burning taste. Using carts I get nowhere near the same vapor production, and the burning taste comes up after only 2 or 3 puffs.

Is it realistic to expect good vapor hits from a 510 anywhere the same level as direct dripping? Seems there are several video reviews showing good vapor from 510 carts... do you need to wait longer between hits vs. a standard cigaerette?

How many puffs ballpark should a wick hold before its production goes down? Does anyone else get a burning taste after only a few puffs on a cart?

Thanks for any feedback.

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
I was having the same exact results you were.. I started dripping exclusively and got used to the amount of puffs per two drops. I get about 6 or 8 puffs and that is about the same as smoking an analog. Well almost. So you are in the ballpark for you count.

I also got tired of messing with the carts. It seems a waste of time and juice. Most of it is trapped in the cart anyway. Why not just drop the juice on the atty and go to town. Since I stopped messing with carts I have not had juice in my mouth or got to that burnt taste. You notice it barely and that is the time to drip...

You are on the right track... Go to dripping on the 510 for sure. The battery is sealed so you are ok to stop using the cart. Just take the filler out and go to dripping only. Try it for a few days and you wont go back...

props76

Moved On
Sep 22, 2009
Carts suck and dripping is the way to go... but....

What I do now is I drip 3 drips on the atty, and 1 or 2 in the cart. That gets me 15 puffs. I find using the cart and dripping, the puffs stay stronger for longer.

Yes I sometimes get a mouthful of e-juice, but to correct that, I blow into the unit and that seems to push the juice back for the next puff.

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Carts suck and dripping is the way to go... but....

What I do now is I drip 3 drips on the atty, and 1 or 2 in the cart. That gets me 15 puffs. I find using the cart and dripping, the puffs stay stronger for longer.

Yes I sometimes get a mouthful of e-juice, but to correct that, I blow into the unit and that seems to push the juice back for the next puff.

Props, Props. There is no substitute for direct dripping on the 510 because of the massive vapor flavor hit. I take the same approach except, 1-2 drips on the atty and 4-5 drips on the cart. I think a wet atty helps to draw in the juice from the cart. If you're a fast vaper it takes a while for the juice to get soaked in. But a wet atty helps with the draw. With the 1-2 drops atty, 4-5 drops cart I get a good few minutes of vaping. It's about a 7-10 minute drive to work and I vape the whole way. Sometime sit and vape a while after I get there. The first 3-5 vapes are thick flavorful drip vapes, then a sustained 15-20 (I haven't counted) draws with plenty of vapor, but the taste does begin to drop off. It's worked well for me so far. Really no complaints. Still beats other models I've used.

I also think by reversing where you put your drops you'll give less juice when you inhale (what a waste!). Of course, you've got your old length of draw, type of liquid, blah, blah, blah. We all vape differently. All we can do is share our own experiences.

Try vaping differently.

--Prof Daffy

Lashes

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.midwest-edm.com
For driving I plan on having my drip-cart handy...

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lgMF3o1pdo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lgMF3o1pdo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

vapn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2009
UK
You learn to drive with your knee... But I usually carry my KR808 or Vapor King in the car because the carts last long enough to get me to where I am going and then some.

But I really like the idea of making this drip friendly atomizer. I might have to try this.

Because carts are a PITA. Juice in the mouth is nasty. And you will run your atty dry eventually. Then you pull that cart off and it only takes about two drops to top it off. Why not just put those two drops on the atty?

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
You learn to drive with your knee... But I usually carry my KR808 or Vapor King in the car because the carts last long enough to get me to where I am going and then some.

But I really like the idea of making this drip friendly atomizer. I might have to try this.

Because carts are a PITA. Juice in the mouth is nasty. And you will run your atty dry eventually. Then you pull that cart off and it only takes about two drops to top it off. Why not just put those two drops on the atty?

I think the thing I love most about vaping is the ingenuity. People come up with the craziest solution to work around a problem. The drip friendly atomizer looks like a winner to me. How do you get around using a cart when you drip? I took a razor and cut off the bottom 1/4-1/2 inch for a drip friendly cart.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. Do NOT say, "carts are a PITA"! Don't we have enough trouble with the FDA. We don't want those animal activists give us a hard time, too!
P.P.S. Pain in the... Oh, I get it now. Never mind.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Seems there are several video reviews showing good vapor from 510 carts... do you need to wait longer between hits vs. a standard cigaerette?
Bingo.

The wicking properties of most filler materials can NOT keep up with the frequency of drags that one normally takes off a cigarette in a short period of time. So if you want to use these like a cigarette, then you have to take action. One way to go about it is to try some of the various different cartridge mods you can read about in the Cartridge Mod forum.

Personally, after trying a number of cartridge mods, I still find that the stock filler works just fine if you use the Thermometer Method. But unfortunately, the Thermometer method takes practice to get right, and it is definitely NOT recommended for unsealed batteries.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
You are on the right track... Go to dripping on the 510 for sure. The battery is sealed so you are ok to stop using the cart. Just take the filler out and go to dripping only. Try it for a few days and you wont go back...
But if you do decide to drip with the 510 then I would suggest going one better and getting a compatible exposed 306 atomizer and dip instead of drip.

Reboot

ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2009
Southern Maine
sooooo....I'm totally new to this, I shouldn't even be saying anything but you know, I just can't help myself.

I JUST got my 510 today and I decided to fill up the cart with the juice I got with it. I dropped about 17-20 drops in it and then slowly slid the filler material back into the cart and let it wick it up. I finished by poking it down with a paperclip. It's been giving me GREAT vapor for hours now, every hit is consistantly good. I've already had to switch out the battery and the cart is still hitting great.

I've not tried the drip method...I'm sure I will sooner rather than later...but I just wanted to throw that out there.:)

ColKurtz

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC USA
For driving I plan on having my drip-cart handy...

Lashes, that's awesome. I happened to have a couple of pens like that, and it's like a different vaping experience with a "drip-cart". I didn't realize how much juice I was sucking through the cart hole, even with an empty cart. That pervasive nasty taste is gone, there's no fuss in dripping, and I don't get juice on my hands popping the cart off to drip. 2 cookies for you!

ColKurtz

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC USA
But if you do decide to drip with the 510 then I would suggest going one better and getting a compatible exposed 306 atomizer and dip instead of drip.

I thought the exposed atomizers were for direct *dip*, not drip? I have 2 young kids, so I don't like the idea of leaving a "plate" of juice around. Dripping is pretty simple as it is anyway. Is there any advantage to a 306 atomizer on direct drip vs. the standard 510 atty?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I thought the exposed atomizers were for direct *dip*, not drip? I have 2 young kids, so I don't like the idea of leaving a "plate" of juice around. Dripping is pretty simple as it is anyway. Is there any advantage to a 306 atomizer on direct drip vs. the standard 510 atty?
An exposed atomizer enables dipping.
But also is better for dripping in my opinion because it is much easier to drip on.

Also, the 306 atomizer holds can take at least 3 drops whereas the 510 only holds about 2 drops.
At least that is my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread