Disappointing buy today

Status
Not open for further replies.

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
So, I stopped into a newly found B&M today just to browse around. I saw that they had the Kuro Koiler clones by Infinite. Funny that I already had the original set in my shopping basket at vapordna. I figured at half the price how could I go wrong...

Well, I got home and tried out the 2.5mm set with some 28ga Kanthal and it wrapped one of the worst coils I had ever seen! I had the screw set to the "1" setting but all it did was wrap the wire into about 3 layers thick instead of a nicely formed touching coil. I pulled out the screw and checked the distance on the 2 setting holes to the center post and found that they were exactly the same distance off center.

Not having a drill press or miniature taps I don't see any way of fixing these. Based on the distance between the screw and the center post, I'm guessing that they may work with wire gauges like 24 - 18 gauge but I don't use that thick of a wire.

Well, looks like I'm going to have to stick with my home made wire gizmo type jig for now. If you see these Infinite brand Kuro Koil jigs, just walk away...

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
I have the Coil Master, which works identically to the Kuro Koiler. I suspect you're pressing the top cap (the piece you spin) too tightly against the base when you're making your coils.

Hmmm... Perhaps you're right. I tried again without applying any pressure and it seemed to work ok. I guess I'm just used to my tension wound coils with every wrap being perfectly tight. With this, I have to do 2 extra wraps and remove the first 2 to get to tight wraps. Maybe it will just take more practice... (that Old Dog/New Trick thing)

Thanks for your input...

Smoking B

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2014
Middle of Nowhere, PA, USA
yeah, these kuro coilers dont seem to like higher gauge wire very well, with 28gauge wire I have to put some effort in to not wrap the wire over itself, but I mostly use 24gauge wire so its perfect for me, no issues with that.

My Coil Master came with updated screws that work great on the smaller gauge wire. If anyone is interested you can get them here RBA Supplies LLC - Coil Master for $2 & free shipping...

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I got a 2.5mm version. It's good for a coil jig, but it still takes some practice to use it well. I also had the wraps double-up at first, and what worked for me is to pull out on the end cap ever so slightly as you wrap. Take your time.

I could be wrong, but I believe the difference between #1 and #2 is not the distance to the center, but how deeply the screw holes are tapped....one screw screws in further then the other.

ChristianProgrammer

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2015
USA Milwaukee
Kuro Koiler broke their product into several separate sets, for diff gauges Uggg $$$
the other product Coil master is a better bet these days...
I expect mine in next week..

Also you dont have to put much pressure on the unit when winding the coil
or you could easily get overlap,, its just a wire

RBA Supplies LLC - Coil Master

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
So, I stopped into a newly found B&M today just to browse around. I saw that they had the Kuro Koiler clones by Infinite. Funny that I already had the original set in my shopping basket at VaporDNA. I figured at half the price how could I go wrong...

Well, I got home and tried out the 2.5mm set with some 28ga Kanthal and it wrapped one of the worst coils I had ever seen! I had the screw set to the "1" setting but all it did was wrap the wire into about 3 layers thick instead of a nicely formed touching coil. I pulled out the screw and checked the distance on the 2 setting holes to the center post and found that they were exactly the same distance off center.

Not having a drill press or miniature taps I don't see any way of fixing these. Based on the distance between the screw and the center post, I'm guessing that they may work with wire gauges like 24 - 18 gauge but I don't use that thick of a wire.

Well, looks like I'm going to have to stick with my home made wire gizmo type jig for now. If you see these Infinite brand Kuro Koil jigs, just walk away...

Well, I often hear it said,
"It's not the tool; it's the guy using the tool"

If you just had to push a button and it does everything, that's what we call a robot.
A tool is a tool; the user still has to understand what has to be done, and merely use the tool to get the job done easier.

(I have to add I don't have one of those, but I happen to have a kuro coil in my shopping cart)

jchisholm

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2014
Nova Scotia
Well, I often hear it said,
"It's not the tool; it's the guy using the tool"

If you just had to push a button and it does everything, that's what we call a robot.
A tool is a tool; the user still has to understand what has to be done, and merely use the tool to get the job done easier.

(I have to add I don't have one of those, but I happen to have a kuro coil in my shopping cart)

Well I beg to differ, I am very mechanically inclined and am proficient with any tool you throw at me but I find these
coil-masters basically unusable. As stated, the coils invariably overlap or wind over themselves.
Followed all the tips, not pressing on the end caps etc but am out of patience with wasting wire to practise.
The commercial site they are using for the upgrade screws is presently buggy as well, it will not accept my otherwise
perfectly valid credit cards.

catalinaflyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
FL 510 (Over The Top Baby)
Well I have looked at these type of coil makers as well as the jewelry thing people are getting at the craft stores. I have even gone so far as to ad one or more to different shopping carts only to wind up deleting the item.

My main reason for this is what in the heck would I do with my ever expanding collection of little blue screwdrivers if I got a different tool for winding coils?

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
look of the bright side, it sounds like it's easy to use for making stove top coils lol

don't intend to threadjack, but can these jigs be used to wrap parallel coils?

I don't think these would be good for doing parallel builds, the hole used to capture the wire isn't large enough to easily pass 2 wires through.

And @edyle,

I am well versed in "tool using" as well as jig making. These definitely could use tighter tolerances on the grub screws. I'm going to try finding a screw with a slightly larger head for the #1 setting, even if I have to tap a larger hole. Using less pressure worked but the coils still seem a bit loose.

The funny part is, I guess I bought these on a whim. I've got 4 - KFL+'s, 1 - KFv4, 1 - Link RDA, and 1 - TOBH Clone but none of them need new coils lol. I got them all where I want them. The one KFL+ has a coil that's easily 9 months old and all of them but 1 was done with my own tension winding jig. My jig consists of a Z shaped piece of braising rod and an appropriate size hole in the front edge of my desk lol. Simple :)

Oh well... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread