Dissasembling an Itaste SVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroOhm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
UK
What, you can't do precision work in 14 foot seas??

Keep us posted, should be an interesting project. And maybe take pics along the way...

Will do, don't rock the boat! Need ideas on a box to put it in though I was thinking an old tobacco tin but that may defeat the object of the exercise :p

I had to stop repair, because micro switch is not standard size.
I have to find correct one. (body 4.5*4.5mm)
I don´t understand why innokin designers used for MAIN Fire switch this super small crap.

Coming from a design background a long long time ago, I used to make control keyboards for power stations they were all hand made and had a separate switch for each key, each switch was guaranteed to have a MTBF of > 1 Million key strokes. So much of what I see these days is made at the lowest possible cost (that's the nature of the capitalist beast), sure the SVD has a nice stainless steel case but it's electronics, switches and 510 connector are average at best. Maybe better than other stuff out there but after so many glowing Provari reports I am pretty sure they are using better quality components reflected in there reported durability.

Could you take a picture of the switch?, I won't get back to the city til next week which will my first chance to get it apart and start some work.

Maybe I can help you out sourcing the part?, as mine is broken too.

What type of switch mechanism is it? Tactile? I don't think it's a micro switch (I maybe wrong) as it never sounded or felt like one. It makes me think of the Apples iPhone home button mech MTBF anyone's guess if you are lucky;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ZeroOhm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
UK
I posted a question on the Provaris trigger switch, seems to reinforce what I thought and what others have said.

Just a question don't mean to jump on the thread does anyone know what trigger switch mech is in the ProVari and what it's MTBF? Is the trigger switch guaranteed?
]

the button on the provari is nothing but plastic it is attached to nothing. but on the board is a military style electronic leaf switch there is no physical or mechanical button, when you press down on the plastic button it pushes down a rubber plunger which forces a copper plate or leaf down onto two nubs which then make the contact, rated MTBF is 1 million plus presses. it is very hard to wear out something that isnt rubbing or moving.

this style is also directly responsible for the provari not misfiring in the pocket or why it seems mushy if you dont press hard enough. it requires a good solid press or it doesnt fire.

every single part of the provari is covered under warranty, when the warranty expires they will repair it for little cost. i think the switch is like 20 bucks? even the whole curcuit board is only 65 bucks.

View attachment 279850

some people complain about the button and things like the LED screen but they miss the point. these are things the military still uses today because they have proven to be ultra reliable. they are trying to make the toughest mod you can get not the prettiest.

ZeroOhm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
UK
I had to stop repair, because micro switch is not standard size.
I have to find correct one. (body 4.5*4.5mm)
I don´t understand why Innokin designers used for MAIN Fire switch this super small crap.

I had some time and went looking I am fairly sure it's a tactile switch mech.
Miniature Tactile Switch
View attachment 280815

http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/78-0620e.pdf

Comparing it to one of the disassembled pics
View attachment 280816

But I'm not sure as I can't see the switch from your disassembled pics and mine is the same as yours being glued and not threaded, I'm assuming it is the same. You can order 100 switches of these from China for £1.xx less than 2 euros on eBay and that's to us the general public imagine what the cost is to the manufactuer!, the dimensions may not be the same but you get the idea I only spent a little time looking.
[url=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100pcs-Tactile-Push-Button-Switch-Momentary-Tact-6x6x5mm-DIP-Through-Hole-4pin-v-/221298121688pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3386655bd8]100pcs Tactile Push Button Switch Momentary Tact 6x6x5mm DIP Through-Hole 4pin v | eBay[/URL]

I'm not sure about the integrity of the unit will be intact after repair looking at it's construction and seals how hard it is to reassemble is a good question.

My 1st thought was to make a mod box (as I didn't think reassembly would be possible) not unlike a MVP this would give some latitude as to what to use as replacement parts and possibly improve on it's design flaws as with you my electronics are good so this is completely possible.

There are many switches available and some as I imagine like that used in the ProVari are much higher rated and priced acorrdingly I would hint if you can find a 500K or 1 Mil MTBF, IP67 (Sealed), Silver/Gold contacts switch that is the way to go, finding one exactly the same form factor that is not as prone to possible failure as the one used maybe tricky moving everything out would solve this.

Just a thought keep us posted I'm on it next week.

Last edited:

ZeroOhm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
UK
Hmmm i agree crappy switch used i wonder if the MVP uses the same non standard one? The others look like standard 6x6mm switches i have a hunch these fail less, those long shaft ones always feel poor. Tricky as if you use a bigger switch you will cover the LEDs and if you move it slightly you wont be able to use the push button as it sits in the centre and actuates the switch ..... I managed to get the switch going, still no tactile feed back but working. I tried to open it but as it is working i will let it fail as some some of the other threads have looked liked a PV massacre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JX3P

Aug 25, 2012
Czech Republic
Thanks all for the help. I am having the same problems with the fire button and have to press extra hard to get it to work. Seems a little off for something. My SVD has been dropped 3-4 times from about 3-4 feet. :( I have a glued top also and think I am just going to have to be bothered by it it finally breaks down and I have to buy a new one. I really like this one when it works. Had it for 3 1/2 months but won't be going back to Innokin if this is how their products are going to be built.

zanedog

Moved On
Jan 28, 2014
Alberta
You too bought it at FT? I think they buy rejects, that's why they sell it at half price. I'll try to get one from healthcabin instead when I can cough up the cash...

I think that is fastechs game as well. Innokin denies they are authentic products. Fastech cuts out the verification numbers from the instruction booklet. It adds up that they are getting factory seconds and selling them at discounted prices. It's not that they are knockoffs, they are Innokin products. Easy way for Innokinn to get rid of their product that doesn't pass Quality Control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread