Diving into Mechanical Mods - Am I missing anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kslice917

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2013
North Canton, OH, USA
So I've been using electronic regulated batteries for the past year now and have quickly moved my way up the chain. Though I don't have a Provari (and probably won't unless I get a rather large, unexpected bonus pay), I'm currently sitting comfortably with my MVP 2.0 with a Kanger AeroTank. Now the time has come for me to move on to the next step - which for me, is mechanical mods. Before I dive into this whole new experience, I wanted to make sure I'm ready to do so and hopefully you guys can help confirm this for me.

*Note: Just skip this section if you don't want to read it - I often tend to ramble on...

Alright, so just a little background information. I currently work for an ejuice supplier and we've recently begun selling hardware. The past few months here, I've spent countless hours doing research and reading all the information that ECF has to offer - and boy let me tell you, there is no better wealth of knowledge (combined with YouTube videos, of course). As of now, I have only ever tried cig-a-likes and tanks for toppers. From what I've seen, I have no urge to try dripping or cartos.

I've actually rebuilt coils for my AeroTank thanks to several YouTube videos using 28-32 Gauge Kanthal A-1 wire. Since I don't actually have a resistance tester and my multi-meter no longer functions, I've been using my MVP 2.0 to measure my coil resistance. I have to say, it's become quite easy for me to make a 2.0 ohm dual coil with cotton wicking. Now that I'm ready to step up to mechanical mods, I can start building lower resistance coils and tweak my vape to how I would like it.

Now I'm not asking "what is the best mech mod?" Instead, I just want to make sure I'm knowledgeable enough to start tinkering with mechanical mods without blowing my hand off. So here's what I just purchased:

• 1 x SMOKtech e-Pipe Mod
  • 2 x Battery Extension Mod for SMOKtech e-Pipe
  • 2 x Sony 3.7v US18650VTC4 2100mAh High Drain 30A Rechargeable Li-on 18650 Battery
  • 1 x NiteCore IntelliCharger i2 Charger

I know the e-Pipe mod isn't the best, it's more-so a gift I'm getting for a friend of mine. The 2 battery extension mods are supposed to extend the battery tube long enough to fit a single 18650 battery. Granted, I highly doubt I'll need a 30A battery - but it's Sony and I figure "better safe than sorry." I've already studied Ohm's Law and realize that this means that I could get away with using a 0.13 ohm coil (not that I will ever come close to that).

So assuming that the lowest coil I'll build is 0.5 ohms, is there anything else that I might be missing that could be helpful? Like I said, I just want to make sure I'm not putting a loaded grenade in my hands. Thanks guys!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Be aware that a well-designed mechanical mod will have vent holes drilled in it to allow the build-up of hot gases from a venting battery to escape. My guess is the Smoktech e-pipe mod does not have vent holes. Not the same pipe mod, but read the 4th paragraph of this review of another e-pipe: Kamry K-1000 E-Pipe - Zahmby Mann's Vape Notes

You seem to be a wise shopper who does his research prior to buying. It's good that you are concerned about battery and mechanical mod safety. I'd do a little more research into whatever device you end up with.

Using a safe-chemistry high-drain battery like the Sony us18650VTC4 is commendable, but realize that ANY battery can hard short and go into thermal runaway given the right circumstances, even a 30 amp safe-chemistry battery like that Sony. My concern would be using a mod that may not have vent holes for the rare chance of a battery mishap. Is that risk worth taking by giving it to a friend to use?

Mechanical Mod Proper Usage Guide

Spend the $10 - $20 to buy either an ohm reader or digital multimeter if you are going to be building coils around 0.5 ohms. This is the safe way to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread