DIY Ejuice Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
So I might not be in the right place for this advice but I’ve got a few questions and any advice will be much appreciated. I’ve ordered a good bit online to start DIY ejuice. I’m only awaiting a couple more deliveries to actually begin. It’s taken longer to get everything in than I anticipated. However, it’s just given me extra time to research and gather / gain more info and knowledge. Everyone has an opinion and thats great and helpful mostly but sometimes can be a bit confusing as idk certain things yet. I know trial and error will be my best ally for learning my preferences. But for general knowledge, I know theres a lot of advice here that could be most helpful. I won’t know unless I ask. So here goes. My Q's...

1) I’d planed on mixing 5ml stand alone “test” ejuice to learn each flavor well before mixing with other flavors. I recently read about an alternative. Can I really put a drop of flavoring in a certain amount of water and swish in my mouth to learn it’s stand alone profile? This would save loads of time (opposed to the former almost 100 times) and a bit of product also!

2) I’ve read repeatedly to steep custards for 3 months minimum for maximum flavor potential. Does this also apply for all cream bases... milk, ice cream, cheesecake, any creamy “dairy” flavors?

3) Acetyl Pyrazine - I know this adds bakery, cereal or grainy to the recipe. With supporting flavors, can this be used to replace bakery items such as donuts?

4) What adds “goey” feel to a recipe? For example, I know which flavors to mix to make cake taste like a certain type of brownies but not how to make it feel goey like brownies. Is that possible? (learning about layering atm so know this might be tricky)

Thanks in advance! :thumbs:

Reactions: Hawt

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
#1 yes, but will not tell you how a flavor tastes with your base (vg/pg/nic). Also will not tell you if a flavor needs a steep, is a SnV (shake and vape), or if the flavor fades over time. My advice is do the homework, and yes it is a bit tedious. I mix 15ml singles and test over several weeks, bonus is I have enough to play with after testing.

#2 Pretty mich most creamy or custard types need a month steep, bonus is they don't fade so you can mix a cream or custard base mix and just pull off that after steeping to add fruit or whatever. Some mix their cream/custard base mixes a liter at a time.

#3 & 4 Not into bakeries and can't help.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
#1 yes, but will not tell you how a flavor tastes with your base (vg/pg/nic). Also will not tell you if a flavor needs a steep, is a SnV (shake and vape), or if the flavor fades over time. My advice is do the homework, and yes it is a bit tedious. I mix 15ml singles and test over several weeks, bonus is I have enough to play with after testing.

#2 Pretty mich most creamy or custard types need a month steep, bonus is they don't fade so you can mix a cream or custard base mix and just pull off that after steeping to add fruit or whatever. Some mix their cream/custard base mixes a liter at a time.

#3 & 4 Not into bakeries and can't help.
Great ideas on both 1 & 2. Thanks so much!

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
I posted this in the “New” forum and got one great answer for 1&2. I’d love to hear others thoughts on those and hopefully get 3&4 answered:thumbs:

I’ve got a few questions and any advice will be much appreciated. I’ve ordered a good bit online to start DIY ejuice. I’m only awaiting a couple more deliveries to actually begin. It’s taken longer to get everything in than I anticipated. However, it’s just given me extra time to research and gather / gain more info and knowledge. Everyone has an opinion and thats great and helpful mostly as I’m interested in all opinions. I know trial and error will be my best ally for learning DIY and my preferences. But for general knowledge, I know theres potentially a lot of advice here that could be most helpful. I know everyone’s answers won’t be the same but I’m interested in all opinions. I won’t know unless I ask. So here goes. My Q's...

1) I’d planed on mixing 5ml stand alone “test” ejuice to learn each flavor well before mixing with other flavors. I recently read about an alternative. Can I really put a drop of flavoring in a certain amount of water and swish in my mouth to learn it’s stand alone profile? This would save loads of time (opposed to the former almost 100 times) and a bit of product also!

2) I’ve read repeatedly to steep custards for 3 months minimum for maximum flavor potential. Does this also apply for all cream bases... milk, ice cream, cheesecake, any creamy “dairy” flavors?

3) Acetyl Pyrazine - I know this adds bakery, cereal or grainy to the recipe. With supporting flavors, can this be used to replace bakery items such as donuts?

4) What adds “goey” feel to a recipe? For example, I know which flavors to mix to make cake taste like a certain type of brownies but not how to make it feel goey like brownies. Is that possible? (learning about layering atm so know this might be tricky)

Thanks in advance! :headbang:

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
1- Not really. You may get a slight taste of it but it wont taste like it will when vaped
2-Depends on the custard and the amount used. 3 days to a month normally for me anyway
3-NO. AP taste like frito's if you use to much
4-Gooey? Maybe a gummie candy. Marshmallow and meringue can thicken and give mouthfeel but then again so does fuji apple. Depends on the recipe

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I posted this in the “New” forum and got one great answer for 1&2. I’d love to hear others thoughts on those and hopefully get 3&4 answered:thumbs:

I’ve got a few questions and any advice will be much appreciated. I’ve ordered a good bit online to start DIY ejuice. I’m only awaiting a couple more deliveries to actually begin. It’s taken longer to get everything in than I anticipated. However, it’s just given me extra time to research and gather / gain more info and knowledge. Everyone has an opinion and thats great and helpful mostly as I’m interested in all opinions. I know trial and error will be my best ally for learning DIY and my preferences. But for general knowledge, I know theres potentially a lot of advice here that could be most helpful. I know everyone’s answers won’t be the same but I’m interested in all opinions. I won’t know unless I ask. So here goes. My Q's...

Thanks in advance! :headbang:
1. Never worked for me. Neither did using cool whip.(which by the way is awful especially if flavor has alcohol in it)
2. I have only had coconut do that long steeping. Most dairy flavors 2 -5 weeks for me.
3. When used sparcely it adds a nutty type of taste.
4. Not sure about gooey...marshmellow also adds body to a mix and helps with mouth feel. I think meringue does the same but lighter.

Usually to add more depth to a mix I usually use 2 different variations of the same flavor...i.e. TFA strawberry and TFA strawberry Ripe. Can be the same % or which ever one you prefer to have more dominance. Also with banana cream, I mix a small amount of banana ripe. Be careful with the banana ripe tho. strong stuff, I only use from.02-.05 ml in a 30 ml bottle.

:)

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
1- Not really. You may get a slight taste of it but it wont taste like it will when vaped
2-Depends on the custard and the amount used. 3 days to a month normally for me anyway
3-NO. AP taste like frito's if you use to much
4-Gooey? Maybe a gummie candy. Marshmallow and meringue can thicken and give mouthfeel but then again so does fuji apple. Depends on the recipe
Great answers and thanks for taking the time! So helpful:)

Reactions: stols001

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
1. Never worked for me. Neither did using cool whip.(which by the way is awful especially if flavor has alcohol in it)
2. I have only had coconut do that long steeping. Most dairy flavors 2 -5 weeks for me.
3. When used sparcely it adds a nutty type of taste.
4. Not sure about gooey...marshmellow also adds body to a mix and helps with mouth feel. I think meringue does the same but lighter.

Usually to add more depth to a mix I usually use 2 different variations of the same flavor...i.e. TFA strawberry and TFA strawberry Ripe. Can be the same % or which ever one you prefer to have more dominance. Also with banana cream, I mix a small amount of banana ripe. Be careful with the banana ripe tho. strong stuff, I only use from.02-.05 ml in a 30 ml bottle.

Good advice and will definitely help me! Thank you:thumb:

Reactions: stols001

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
So, how do you know when to start checking them? I know after a bit you’ll get a feel for it but initially do you just check every few days until you try it and know “that’s it”?
Depends on the flavors. Fruits can be shake and vapes. I always put mix new mixes in a dark place with the cap off. And depending on whether they have alcohol in them or not(if not then)I put the cap back on, give a good shake, then return to dark place with cap on for a few days. If they have alcohol in the flavors, then leave the cap off a few days. If they smell good I will put a drop on my finger and taste. If good, I will vape it. Most creams will start to darken within a few days. This is normal.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Some come into there own fairly quick(maybe a few days). Some of the heavier creams like NY Cheesecake can take a few weeks to blend in. It depends on your mix ratio also. 50/50 seems to be a lot faster than 80/20. There are two rules of thought on steeping. Some do cap off for a day or so and some dont. Personally I dont because while it will let the alcohol evaporate it also lets some of the chemicals from the flavoring go.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
You can find recommendation charts and type the flavour into that ejuice recipes site and it will tell you the average % used by every recipe submitted. Both stand alone and in recipes. Best place to start, alot of well known people post their recipes there too so you know they'll be good without wasting time and money figuring one out for yourself. Just try 3 or 4 different top rated recipes that use the same ingredients you have instead would be my recommendation. Ask in the DIY section here for anything you want too, we have a few experts here too with great recipes.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
For the "goey" vape if you mean that dense juicy warm vape that makes you want to chew it that has more to do with heat flux and air flow for that juice then the juice itself. Find the sweet spot for the juice by changing 1-5w at a time depending on if your a low or high watts vapor and moving the AFC more open or closed. Usually the higher the wattage the more airflow you will need or the vapor will be dry not wet if that makes any sense.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
My only help is #3...
Acetyl Pyrazine can and will take over a mix the longer it sits. I don't think you'll be able to give AP a fair chance making 5ml shots when I use 3/4% in a mix and IMO thats plenty enough AP taste so 3/4% in a 5ml shot is a mighty small drop. I wore out then got tired of AP so its been shelved for a long time and just recently its back in the running. I add the AP to 20mls of plenty steeped tobacco then pretty well vape it right away cause the first few tanks its real nice taste then after that it starts to overpower the mix then gets sickly so 20mls at a time I think is a nice number to keep the AP in check. It was mixing AP into a larger mix then steep for weeks is what eventually turned me off but making in smaller mixes the AP is much more enjoyable.
Custards like tobaccos need several weeks steep to bloom, if not longer.

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
You can find recommendation charts and type the flavour into that ejuice recipes site and it will tell you the average % used by every recipe submitted. Both stand alone and in recipes. Best place to start, alot of well known people post their recipes there too so you know they'll be good without wasting time and money figuring one out for yourself. Just try 3 or 4 different top rated recipes that use the same ingredients you have instead would be my recommendation. Ask in the DIY section here for anything you want too, we have a few experts here too with great recipes.

For the "goey" vape if you mean that dense juicy warm vape that makes you want to chew it that has more to do with heat flux and air flow for that juice then the juice itself. Find the sweet spot for the juice by changing 1-5w at a time depending on if your a low or high watts vapor and moving the AFC more open or closed. Usually the higher the wattage the more airflow you will need or the vapor will be dry not wet if that makes any sense.

I tried the mixing with water. It wasn't impressive -- if you want to conclude all your flavors are lame it's excellent. Perhaps there is a technique, but if so it's a thing in itself.

#1 - cool whip instead of water will be closer to the taste of your vg/pg base.
While I’m thrilled with the opportunity to try some recipes from some of the very best, I also don’t want to blindly mix without fully knowing and understanding exactly what I’m doing and the cause and effect of all ingredients etc. I don’t want to take the fun out, just be in the know. I have been however studying all ridiculously great recipes I’ve come across to see whats working, the %s being used and such. I also look at recipes with low ratings for comparison. I know I will make mistakes but I’ll be better for them in the future. Obviously though I wanna try to dodge all possible. All great advice though! Thank you all for taking the time:w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread