DIY Flavoring HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapping Drone Pilot

Oct 12, 2018
Hi Everyone,
I new to the forum and trying to figure out how to maneuver around the forum.There are so many fantastic members who are so willing to share their knowledge and to all of those people I want to say Thank You.

Now here is my issue. I purchased all my DIY supplies about 4 months ago. When I get into something I go in with both feet.
I think that I’ve purchased everything you can imagine for making your own e-liquid.
I figure with all the articles out there about the FDA thinking about banning flavored
e-liquid that one day it could be a reality just because young people being about see all the cool flavors and the government think that leads them to vaping.
So because some retailers are selling to minors or people are purchasing it for minors the adults who vape could suffer.
I don’t see the government attacking alcohol and all the flavored wine coolers etc.

So I bought all my mixing equipment like I said about 4 months ago.Then I went to purchase the Flavoring and my head began to spin! There are many companies out there and it seems everyone has their favorite supplier.
The problem is there is Capella,FTA etc and there are plain strawberry,ripe strawberry etc.When I ask other people who Mix they say no don’t buy that,buy this and someone else says the opposite.

I did see a post on here at one point that I lost the link when I purchased my new phone that was long and so detailed.
The member gave the top 20 flavors that he recommended you should have to start out with and there was so much more information they supplied I can’t remember it all and it frustrates me for losing it because it was the best layed out tool someone new could ever ask for and more.

So needless to say I haven’t made I drop of my own e-liquid because I afraid to buy the wrong strawberry and do I buy a large bottle because I see strawberry a lot? And I guess if I was buying Kiwi it would be the smallest bottle they sell.
I have spent a ton of money on equipment and my wife wants to beat me for buying all this stuff and not using it.
I don’t want to spend $500 and 80% is stuff that I will use a tiny amount and 20% I go through so quickly like I see marshmallow a lot and should of purchased a large bottle.

So if anyone can give me any advice and guidance I would be so very grateful! I know you can’t recommend Suppliers,I think. But until I can figure out the Top 15,20 or 25 I need in stock my equipment will probably sit in boxes until the take away flavored e-liquid.
If you could recommend it you think I should purchase a 30ml Green Apple Best it’s in a lot of recipes and another must have flavor but just buy a 8ml let’s say then that would get me mixing. Also this FTA,Cap,XYZ Flavoring really frustrates me to know end!

So Please any of you experienced DIY Mixer PLEASE HELP me before my wife smashes my stuff or divorces me! Out of the 2 I hope she gives me a choice on which option to pick! LOL.

Thank You Everyone and this is a Fantastic Forum!
Jim

Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
For strawberries you need at least two to get a good sb. IMO TFA sb ripe and INW shisha sb are the two best for beginners. They play very well together and mix well with other flavors.

FA kiwi for me is the best kiwi and the one I use the most.

The two best creams for starting out is FA cream fresh and FA Vienna cream. You can pretty much accomplish any cream note with these two singly or paired.

INW shisha vanilla is a good all around vanilla to add to the stash.

Green and granny smith apple is trickier. FW green apple is popular for a candy apple. I prefer the VTA ga, more like a real apple than a candy. TFA tart GA is pretty good. Like strawberry it usually takes more than one.

FA Fuji and CAP double apple are good to have if you like apple mixes.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi Everyone,
I new to the forum and trying to figure out how to maneuver around the forum.There are so many fantastic members who are so willing to share their knowledge and to all of those people I want to say Thank You.

Now here is my issue. I purchased all my DIY supplies about 4 months ago. When I get into something I go in with both feet.
I think that I’ve purchased everything you can imagine for making your own e-Liquid.
I figure with all the articles out there about the FDA thinking about banning flavored
e-Liquid that one day it could be a reality just because young people being about see all the cool flavors and the government think that leads them to vaping.
So because some retailers are selling to minors or people are purchasing it for minors the adults who vape could suffer.
I don’t see the government attacking alcohol and all the flavored wine coolers etc.

So I bought all my mixing equipment like I said about 4 months ago.Then I went to purchase the Flavoring and my head began to spin! There are many companies out there and it seems everyone has their favorite supplier.
The problem is there is Capella,FTA etc and there are plain strawberry,ripe strawberry etc.When I ask other people who Mix they say no don’t buy that,buy this and someone else says the opposite.

I did see a post on here at one point that I lost the link when I purchased my new phone that was long and so detailed.
The member gave the top 20 flavors that he recommended you should have to start out with and there was so much more information they supplied I can’t remember it all and it frustrates me for losing it because it was the best layed out tool someone new could ever ask for and more.

So needless to say I haven’t made I drop of my own e-liquid because I afraid to buy the wrong strawberry and do I buy a large bottle because I see strawberry a lot? And I guess if I was buying Kiwi it would be the smallest bottle they sell.
I have spent a ton of money on equipment and my wife wants to beat me for buying all this stuff and not using it.
I don’t want to spend $500 and 80% is stuff that I will use a tiny amount and 20% I go through so quickly like I see marshmallow a lot and should of purchased a large bottle.

So if anyone can give me any advice and guidance I would be so very grateful! I know you can’t recommend Suppliers,I think. But until I can figure out the Top 15,20 or 25 I need in stock my equipment will probably sit in boxes until the take away flavored e-liquid.
If you could recommend it you think I should purchase a 30ml Green Apple Best it’s in a lot of recipes and another must have flavor but just buy a 8ml let’s say then that would get me mixing. Also this FTA,Cap,XYZ Flavoring really frustrates me to know end!

So Please any of you experienced DIY Mixer PLEASE HELP me before my wife smashes my stuff or divorces me! Out of the 2 I hope she gives me a choice on which option to pick! LOL.

Thank You Everyone and this is a Fantastic Forum!
Jim
I dunno. I can imagine quite a lot. You didn’t buy an industrial sonic cleaner did you? There was this thing awhile ago where some people claimed that long term immersion in a sonic cleaner could drastically speed steeping times. I think it was debunked but I’m not sure.

Listen to @Letitia though. She’s got the whole flavor thing wired.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
When you start mixing make small batches. Keep notes of what’s what and small batches so you know if you like it and if you don’t you aren’t wasting much. Nicotine river, ecigexpress, bull city flavors are a few good places to get your nic and flavorings. It’s gonna be a little hectic when you get started but have patience and before long you will be making headway. A good rda to drip your new mixes to see if you like them. Finally listen to Letitia, she knows loads about mixing and good luck with your mixing.

• Love

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
30 ml is a lot of flavor to buy when you have not tasted the flavor. Suggest you purchase only 5 ml. if they are still available . Gremlin (?) use to have them available, maybe some other suppliers offer them now. It's been awhile since I have bought a totally new flavor.
The reference below : Beginner’s Guide To Making The Most Highly-Rated Recipes
re: http://forum...................../t...ly-rated-recipes/83612?source_topic_id=133174
may help you make some decisions.
We are all different when it comes to particular flavor tastes, however, the most popular flavor manufacturers is a good place to start.
As to buying a flavor without a particular recipe in mind, some folks are successful with this approach. I favor obtaining the most "popular/highly regarded" recipes first approach, just because those recipes blend well together and I might have a better chance of a successful mix. I find that singular flavors are hard to find that standalone as "mix".
As to steeping:
re: DIY Mythbusting : DIY_eJuice

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Try this... Go to the Grocery Store and stand in front of the BBQ Sauces.

Barbeque_Sauces_Store.jpg

Then when someone comes down the Aisle, ask them what is the Best BBQ Sauce to buy?

But that would be Crazy. Right? Because they Don't know what type of BBQ Sauce you might like. And if they tell you that they like "This One", there is No Guarantee that what they like is what you will like.

That's kinda what DIY is like.

My advise is since we Don't know what you might like, and you Don't know if you would like what someone like I would like, Don't take that approach.

Maybe a Better way to start would be to pick One Flavor OEM and then try a Couple of Flavors which might work well on their Own. But also might Pair Well with each other. That way you don't have to do a Bunch of Orders at a bunch of Different We Sites.

Example:

For Fruit Flavors... I'll try "FlavorArt"

Then I'll go to some like One Stop DIY or Heartland Vapes and I'll pick 5 FlavorArt Fruit Flavors in small quantities.

Strawberry
Watermelon
Green Apple
Pineapple
Mango

Out of those 5 Fruit Flavors, or some Random Combination of 2 or 3 or All 5, I should be able to get a Decent Fruit e-Liquid.

BTW - I think one of the Biggest Mistakes that people New to DIY Fruit Flavors make is to not buy/use a Sweetener. Something like The Flavor Apprentice (TFA) Sweetener.

But then again, I might like Fruit Flavors sweeter than you like them. So this May or May Not apply to You.

:)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bombastinator

Vapping Drone Pilot

Oct 12, 2018
For strawberries you need at least two to get a good sb. IMO TFA sb ripe and INW shisha sb are the two best for beginners. They play very well together and mix well with other flavors.

FA kiwi for me is the best kiwi and the one I use the most.

The two best creams for starting out is FA cream fresh and FA Vienna cream. You can pretty much accomplish any cream note with these two singly or paired.

INW shisha vanilla is a good all around vanilla to add to the stash.

Green and granny smith apple is trickier. FW green apple is popular for a candy apple. I prefer the VTA ga, more like a real apple than a candy. TFA tart GA is pretty good. Like strawberry it usually takes more than one.

FA Fuji and CAP double apple are good to have if you like apple mixes.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I would like to Thank You for helping me out with some direction so I can get started. I really can’t wait to try making my own.
Did you have to learn which flavors are good? Was it all trial and error? Picking flavors has been the hardest part. So Thank You Again for taking the time to help me.
Flavor is just too objective. You will get different answers with different perspectives. Think of a couple flavors you would like individually and paired. Ask about them here and read up on reviews at sites like Bull City Flavors, Nicotine River, and other flavor vendors. Some flavor vendors sell recipe flavor bundles as well. Maybe add a couple one shots to the order.

Vapping Drone Pilot

Oct 12, 2018
30 ml is a lot of flavor to buy when you have not tasted the flavor. Suggest you purchase only 5 ml. if they are still available . Gremlin (?) use to have them available, maybe some other suppliers offer them now. It's been awhile since I have bought a totally new flavor.
The reference below : Beginner’s Guide To Making The Most Highly-Rated Recipes
re: http://forum...................../t...ly-rated-recipes/83612?source_topic_id=133174
may help you make some decisions.
We are all different when it comes to particular flavor tastes, however, the most popular flavor manufacturers is a good place to start.
As to buying a flavor without a particular recipe in mind, some folks are successful with this approach. I favor obtaining the most "popular/highly regarded" recipes first approach, just because those recipes blend well together and I might have a better chance of a successful mix. I find that singular flavors are hard to find that standalone as "mix".
As to steeping:
re: DIY Mythbusting : DIY_eJuice[/QUOTE

Vapping Drone Pilot

Oct 12, 2018
Try this... Go to the Grocery Store and stand in front of BBQ Sauces.

Barbeque_Sauces_Store.jpg

Then when someone comes down the Aisle, ask them what is the Best BBQ Sauce to buy?

But that would be Crazy. Right? Because they Don't know what type of BBQ Sauce you might like. And if they tell you that they like "This One", there is No Guarantee that what they like is what you will like.

That's kinda what DIY is like.

My advise is since we Don't know what you might like, and you Don't know if you would like what someone like I would like, Don't take that approach.

Maybe a Better way to start would be to pick One Flavor OEM and then try a Couple of Flavors which might work well on their Own. But also might Pair Well with each other. That way you don't have to do a Bunch of Orders at a bunch of Different We Sites.

Example:

For Fruit Flavors... I'll try "FlavorArt"

Then I'll go to some like One Stop DIY or Heartland Vapes and I'll pick 5 FlavorArt Fruit Flavors in small quantities.

Strawberry
Watermelon
Green Apple
Pineapple
Mango

Out of those 5 Fruit Flavors, or some Random Combination of 2 or 3 or All 5, I should be able to get a Decent Fruit e-Liquid.

BTW - I think one of the Biggest Mistakes that people New to DIY Fruit Flavors make is to not buy/use a Sweetener. Something like The Flavor Apprentice (TFA) Sweetener.

But then again, I might like Fruit Flavors sweeter than you like them. So this May or May Not apply to You.

:)
Thank you for making this into a more common sense approach. I’m going to take your advice. I really want to Thank You for the Tips and Advice!
Jim

Vapping Drone Pilot

Oct 12, 2018
I dunno. I can imagine quite a lot. You didn’t buy an industrial sonic cleaner did you? There was this thing awhile ago where some people claimed that long term immersion in a sonic cleaner could drastically speed steeping times. I think it was debunked but I’m not sure.

Listen to @Letitia though. She’s got the whole flavor thing wired.
Thank You! Much appreciated!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
When I started, I got the smallest amounts available of a few flavors to make a few recipes. You can always get more.

And trust me, that took every ounce of self control I possess. I wanted all of the goodies! I wanted the biggest bottles because they’re the cheapest per ml.

But they do not all taste like you think they’re going to, and as you already know, no two people have the same preferences.

Keep notes, keep an inventory, and buy as you need. Trust me, you’ll have time to add flavors as you go. And before you know it, you’ll end up with a collection that terrifies the Mrs.

• Agree

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you for making this into a more common sense approach. I’m going to take your advice. I really want to Thank You for the Tips and Advice!
Jim

My theory with DIY is you have to Start Somewhere. So why not Start with something that is Easy?

You'll get to where you want to be. But it Is going to take some Trial and Error.

• Agree

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Jim

BTW - Do you use the Same Nicotine mg/ml Level and the Same VG to PG Ratios in your e-Liquids?

Or do you use Different strengths and Different VG/PG Ratios?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Vapping Drone Pilot - I don't know if the specific list you can't find now on ECF is somewhere in this thread from April 2018 below or not, but I know there are posts about various DIYer's favorite must-have flavorings in it. There's loads of other useful info, tips, tricks, etc. for DIY in it, too.

DIY Must-Have Staples

The other thread that I know has lists in it from various members is the Recipes for Dummies thread, right here in the DIY Eliquid forum. You could do a search through just that thread maybe for "favorite flavorings" or something similar.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Think you forgot the comment, responding to each reply can be daunting. If you choose, you can click "like" (the thumbs up) icon,or other icons, at bottom right hand corner of this post, this action will notify the respondent of your following response.
Could fill in your location, it may help you in obtaining location specific information to your question(s).
On the top right hand corner of this post you will find --"your name" next to "Inbox and Alerts"
Place the mouse pointer on your name. You will get a drop down and on the left hand side of this drop down you will find "Personal Details". Click Personal Details.
In Personal Details, in middle of screen in gray, you will find "Location" Could fill that box line in.
re: New users - Put your location in your Profile...

Vapping Drone Pilot

Oct 12, 2018
When I started, I got the smallest amounts available of a few flavors to make a few recipes. You can always get more.

And trust me, that took every ounce of self control I possess. I wanted all of the goodies! I wanted the biggest bottles because they’re the cheapest per ml.

But they do not all taste like you think they’re going to, and as you already know, no two people have the same preferences.

Keep notes, keep an inventory, and buy as you need. Trust me, you’ll have time to add flavors as you go. And before you know it, you’ll end up with a collection that terrifies the Mrs.

Thank You! Yes that is me for sure, I drive in with whatever I do with both feet and then some!
I have bought every piece of equipment and I got 6 different kinds of plastic bottles and 5 different glass bottles for Steeping.
I even thought of other item I ran across,I bought a Craft PaintbShaker that shackes the bottle 5,000 times a minute! LOL.

So this is why I was trying to get and idea what the 25 Top flavors I should have to start with. So we sound a lot a like when it comes to buying stuff.
Thank You for all your help and sound advice.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread