Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
6eb25e48da1727d86c6f81bf2f5be0d5.jpg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I can't see a scale in my future that is for sure and wash a cylinder and syringe is no bid deal at least in my opinion.
I didn't mind washing out syringes either but the novelty did wear off after a while, funny thing is I already had the scale(my wife gets her hair color in tubes and weighs the colorings out) but I was fine with syringes. Through my 2 years of vaping commercial juice I know what flavors I didn't like so I wont spend money for them. This last year of DIY juice I have vaped exactly what I like and been nothing short of happy. I don't pizz around with tiny sample mixes, make 20mls and owell if I end up throwing it away.
I would say using the scale is like when you had your first vape and realized how much better it is and you'll never look back.

VictorC

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Ontario

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
Either way is equally good as far as results, for me testing new flavors / recipes I might just use flavor drops / vg/pg pre-made 50/50 base no nic in a 10 ml test bottle shake / warm bath and into the RDA, if I feel the need to add a drop or two, I'll start the process over, if I nail something amazing it get's poured and weighed to 210 mls, it is quicker and pretty damn easy , theirs no wrong way to make good juice ..............
What ever happen to Bob ?

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I read that you should calibrate your syringes but how would you go about that unless you have a scale and a reference syringe to make sure the mls are right. Those el cheapo syringes you can buy I would say aren't accurate, so you would have different tastes from mix to mix depending on how complex your mix is. I paid a bit more but I found my syringes at our local vet and since they are used for medication I assumed they should be accurate but not as accurate as using the scale.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.

avpx1

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2015
So glad I read this post. Purchased this scale
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weig...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A1DVPD9Q368DLM for $32 and two calibration weights to go with it.
I'm very happy with it. Cut my DIY measuring time by half at least, and clean up only involves the one 250ml beaker I now use for DIY. Was easy to set up the "ejuice Me up" calculator too. Very small learning curve thanks to you all. I'm never going back. Just ordered a hot plate\magnetic stirrer and a #13 rubber stopper for the beaker. Excited for them to arrive and then I'll be set. As a note, it's recommended that when calibrating a scale you do not handle the weights with your hands. Instead use a lint free cloth to avoid accumulating oil from your skin thus adding additional weight to the calibration weights.

Reactions: zoiDman

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
The scale is less than 30 bucks. Rather than solicit opinions from a lot of people who prefer their volume method and maybe haven't tried mixing by weight, I'd encourage you to just pick up a scale and try it for yourself...

...Then you can come back here and rave about how you love it and you're never going to have to wash another syringe. :)

This video kind of put it all into perspective for me. Don't need to do all the math shown in the vid, your calc should do all that for you. The scale shown is the one you want. LB-501 by American Weigh Scales.

Last edited:

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I don't know who put that idea in your head. I mix 5 to 500 mls (well, 480 ml, my scale only goes to 500), by weight and don't see any evidence that would make me suspect mixing smaller amounts is difficult, inaccurate, or negative in any other way. In fact, 10 mls is SO easy with a scale. I don't even need a calculator to do the math.

What's your logic for the "larger batch" theory, and where did you get the idea? I honestly believe I could persuade you if only you'd pick up a darned scale. What's the worst that could happen? You don't like it and give it to your wife to use in the kitchen, right? :)

Reactions: Ronald3638

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The scale is less than 30 bucks. Rather than solicit opinions from a lot of people who prefer their volume method and maybe haven't tried mixing by weight, I'd encourage you to just pick up a scale and try it for yourself...

...Then you can come back here and rave about how you love it and you're never going to have to wash another syringe. :)

This video kind of put it all into perspective for me. Don't need to do all the math shown in the vid, your calc should do all that for you. The scale shown is the one you want. LB-501 by American Weigh Scales.

Great Video jambi.

It probably is a Good Candidate for a Non-Replyable Sticky in the DIY Sub-Forum.

About the Only Suggestion/Addition I would make is to place a Lightweight Tray on the Scale when Measuring Liquids.

Something like these Stainless Steel coasters work Great...

Coasters.jpg

That way when you Fat Finger something and Spill some drops on the outside of the Bottle (or Miss the Bottle Entirely!) it doesn't get onto the Pedestal of the Scale.

Reactions: jambi

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
I mean that for the small amounts I do compared to the 100 or more you told me you normally do.

Probably 90% of my mixing is 30 ml or smaller batches. I think I recall telling you that I often mix around 120 mls at a time, but that's typically broken down into a lot of smaller batches, adding up to 100 + mls per session. That's precisely why I prefer mixing by weight. I've had sessions end with 20 flavor bottles sitting on the table. Mixing by volume, that equates to a lot of cleanup, my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread