Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got my liquids (PG, VG, and nic juice) in the mail yesterday, and my 49 different TPA flavors in the mail today. I mixed up a bunch of 5ml sample batches to figure out the best recipes for certain flavors (I'm going to let them all steep for a week). I also have a couple of general questions to ask. First, if I used a drop or a couple of drops of food coloring in my mixes, would that gunk up the atomizer? Also, would it be okay for me to vape, or would you just say that's a no-go and leave it how it is? Another question: is there any way to "power-steep" so I don't have to wait so long? And finally, would you guys recommend any tips and tricks/general "things-to-know" for the COMPLETE beginner? (Never done this before, although I made a really simple batch of menthol and it is amazing. Apparently menthol requires no steeping, at least in my opinion.) Wish me luck, and happy vaping! :D

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
Your questions
Food coloring - Can be used, though most avoid it I think. I'm not an expert so I'll let others discuss it. I don't use it because it is not required and extra things that are not needed can lead to problems.

Steeping - Many here use ultrasonic cleaners though if you're doing fruit/desert types it really doesn't need it. It comes in very handy with some types of tobaccos though. Go here.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I do ultrasonic steeping and it drastically cuts steeping time. The link posted above about UC steeping is a must read. Start with single flavors so you get an idea on how individual flavors taste. You will then have a good idea on what flavors to combine. Start with the lowest recommended percentages and add more if you need to. The most common mistake new dyier's make is over flavoring. Be patient and let the mixes steep. Some mixes can be to harsh at first but will mellow with time others may be tasteless and develop flavor in time. Tobaccos take the longest to steep as well as mixes with creamy flavors. Fruits usually need little to no steeping. Make small 5 ml test batches to avoid waste. Know what your doing when mixing down NIC base making sure you understand how to mix down to arrive at your desired nic strengths for example 12mg/ltr, 18mg/ltr and 24mg/ltr. Understand the differences that combinations of PG and VG will do For example 75/25, 50/50 25/75 etc and how that will effect flavor. And most importantly read, read, read this forum.

Last edited:

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
I don't think there is any research on what food coloring will do to your lungs over the long term. Or even much anecdotal stories from people who have used it for a while. So it seems safer not to bother with it.

I bought some tasty puff flavoring, not realizing it has food color in it. I don't feel the small amount is worth worrying about, so I'll use it up, but I won't buy any more of it because of the coloring. Too bad, I really like their Root Beer.

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
I do ultrasonic steeping and it drastically cuts steeping time. The link posted above about UC steeping is a must read. Start with single flavors so you get an idea on how individual flavors taste. You will then have a good idea on what flavors to combine. Start with the lowest recommended percentages and add more if you need to. The most common mistake new dyier's make is over flavoring. Be patient and let the mixes steep. Some mixes can be to harsh at first but will mellow with time others may be tasteless and develop flavor in time. Tobaccos take the longest to steep as well as mixes with creamy flavors. Fruits usually need little to no steeping. Make small 5 ml test batches to avoid waste. Know what your doing when mixing down NIC base making sure you understand how to mix down to arrive at your desired nic strengths for example 12mg/ltr, 18mg/ltr and 24mg/ltr. Understand the differences that combinations of PG and VG will do For example 75/25, 50/50 25/75 etc and how that will effect flavor. And most importantly read, read, read this forum.
One more helpful tip Starlight Express, Danny is a great and wonderful resource around here. I also mix in 5 ml batches. I drip into a carto so I picked up these bottles for mixing. Very nice, 2 dram is about 8ml and the droppers make filling the cartos easy. They also have 4 dram available. I use the 2 dram for initial tests with the 4 dram for intermediate recipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread