DIY Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwp924

Jan 17, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
I've recieved my first e-cig (VK) a little over 2 weeks ago. I've been smoke free now for a week and loving my PV. It's working great for me and I know this will work to kick my 2 pack a day 35 year old habbit. However, it hasn't been a seamless transition. Firstordered the low level nic (duh, not terribly bright). Had to suppliment with analogs until a week later when order arrived with 24mg juice. Second issue was flavor. I had recieved a free sample of 555 in low nic level and liked it on Sunday but hated it when 3 bottles of ejuice arrived 4 days later. Fortunately I also ordered VG Coffee at same time and I love it.
I love this site and the support it provides. However, the search function kind of baffles me because I never seem to end up with the answers I'm looking for. I don't know how you can search wrong but leave it to me to screw it up. In light of the fact I can't find what I'm looking for (I'm sure it's in here somewhere), I'll post my own thread and hope you guys can save me again.

So much for background info. Now to my questions.
(1) The 555 and some others I have tried kill my throat. I assume this is the "Throat Kick" described by others. They burn going down, choke me, make me cough, and I actually end up with a sore throat after vaping even a small amount. Is there some way to tone down the throat kick without diluting the nic level too much?
(2) As stated, the flavors have been frustrating. I am aware my taste buds are changing (recovering) but I don't want to keep piling up juices I don't care for. I have found that I can vape most anything with a little vanilla added to it (providing the throat kick isn't too bad). I purchased some Wiltons Vanilla but didn't notice til I got home that it had artificial flavoring. Vapes fine but I wasn't sure about affect on atty so I searched all local stores for "real" vanilla. Only thing local was McCormicks. Seems to vape worse than Wiltons and flavor is not as good. Since vanilla seems to be a staple flavor for me, I was wondering what is the "best" flavoring to purchase. I'll have to drag my ... down to the "big city" or order online but I think it's what I need.

The throat kick is the biggest downer. I don't know if this is a reaction to the pg base or not. The "smoother" tasting juices don't seem to bother me (i.e. caramel, butterscotch, vanilla) so I don't believe it is the pg and I should be able to mellow it out. Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice?

HzG8rGrl

Trippy Tip Hoarder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2009
*The Swamp*
www.youtube.com
Capellas and LorAnns are the flavorings most people use. LorAnns can be found at some bakery shops, though I never had any luck. Both are online vendors.
The all time favorite vanilla has yet to be found. Look through the DIY forum.

DIY e-liquid - E-Cigarette Forum

I realize this is the forum you have posted in-read through and you will also see sticky's that have calculators and lots of topics about boosting flavors.

Last edited:

Morgus

Jan 30, 2010
New Orleans
As far as vanilla goes, most real vanilla has corn syrup that is bad for your atty, artificial usually is just vanilin derived from wood. Also a big thing I've noticed is if you use one with pg and alcohol it works great. I usually mix that with vg and everclear to get the extra vapor and kick I like. Hope this helps I'm new myself so somebody may have better ideas. I still make mine too thick to keep up with demand most the time and have to switch often till I figure out a better filler than poly

Ctrl F8

Jan 28, 2010
So. California
In my short time vaping, I have found that there are soooo many variables. I ordered a DIY kit that came with PG, VG, and a 50/50 mix. I noticed right off, as many others have, that VG does reduce throat hit. I want the throat hit, so for now, I will mix with pure PG. Later on when I get other things worked out, I'll experiment with VG and PGA (pure grain alchohol).

As per vanilla, I am loving Capellas french vanilla. It has a rich, buttery taste with hints of butterscotch and caramel. It is more robust than their vanilla custard, which is also good.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread