Not open for further replies.

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
So here's my question, have you ever done a DIY juice that tastes totally different from how you expected it to taste ????

My example is :

I've been trying to mix a good tasting coffee juice. Made up two small batches, one with tiramisu and vanilla, the other with coffee expresso and coconut. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from either flavour, it was just a psychotic mixing urge that I sometimes get :laugh:.

Anyhoo, tried both and while not unvapable, they were pretty close. But as my motto is "no juice is a failure, just a chance to improve", I started to tinker a bit. Wasn't too concerned about nic level at this point so added a bit more vanilla, honey and extra AG to mix one. Mix two got some more coconut, vienna cream and AG.

So far I've only re-sampled the coffee/coconut/vienna cream mix, the results are dramatic. It's gone from tasting like a cross between 7 day old socks with tobacco hints, to something along the lines of a coconut peanut brittle :). I quite like it, totally unexpected though.

Anyone else had a similar experience, or am I just strange ? (already know the answer to the strange bit, so answers to the experience bit, only please :p).

BakuPeg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Gainesville, Ga
I sure did! I was mixing some kind of exotic alcohol drink. A little pina colata, kentucky bourban, whiskey, a few drops of S.C. Blackberry, raspberry, apple, jujubee.... A little FW Ecto, some TPA pineapple. A tad of FW Jungle Juice. Plus a huge handful of FA "mixers" 3 drops of oba oba, 2 of liquid amber, 4 drops FA Hypno mist, 4 merigne... I mixed about 18 flavors most at extremely low %..

Topped it off with a few % FW Pink champagne + TPA Champagne..
After all was said and done and half a page worth of "stuff" in it I let it steep for 2 weeks. 50/50 pg/vg and 12mg.

I gave it to hubby and he sniffed it, then filled a tank with it.
He says I made the best tuty-fruity bubble-gum ever.

It wasn't an exotic coctail, but bubblegum...

We never know exactly what our final creations will taste like. Thats the gem of DIY.

Last edited:

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
lmfao oh but your old gym sock flavor would go so well with my burnt dirt flavor

yeah I haven't really had any success yet...really just starting out...adding some flavors to my Blu carts...I had a java jolt that I added coffee/hazelnut/chocolate/cinnamon/bavarian cream to and it was just like my morning cup of coffee...aside from that trying to find a good clove flavor
probably cleaning my carts might help too

waiting on my first PV and tank to be delivered so I can really start playing :)

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I sure did! I was mixing some kind of exotic alcohol drink. A little pina colata, kentucky bourban, whiskey, a few drops of S.C. Blackberry, raspberry, apple, jujubee.... A little FW Ecto, some TPA pineapple. A tad of FW Jungle Juice. Plus a huge handful of FA "mixers" 3 drops of oba oba, 2 of liquid amber, 4 drops FA Hypno mist, 4 merigne... I mixed about 18 flavors most at extremely low %..

Topped it off with a few % FW Pink champagne + TPA Champagne..
After all was said and done and half a page worth of "stuff" in it I let it steep for 2 weeks. 50/50 pg/vg and 12mg.

I gave it to hubby and he sniffed it, then filled a tank with it.
He says I made the best tuty-fruity bubble-gum ever.

It wasn't an exotic coctail, but bubblegum...

We never know exactly what our final creations will taste like. Thats the gem of DIY.

And I thought my mixes were complex with 3 flavours.

That's what I call a true DIY mix BakuPeg :)

Thanks for sharing.

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
lmfao oh but your old gym sock flavor would go so well with my burnt dirt flavor

yeah I haven't really had any success yet...really just starting out...adding some flavors to my Blu carts...I had a java jolt that I added coffee/hazelnut/chocolate/cinnamon/bavarian cream to and it was just like my morning cup of coffee...aside from that trying to find a good clove flavor
probably cleaning my carts might help too

waiting on my first PV and tank to be delivered so I can really start playing :)

Mmmm burnt dirt, sounds appealing.

I'm planning on getting a white lab coat, so I look more like a mad scientist next time I'm mixing :laugh:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Anyone else had a similar experience, or am I just strange ? (already know the answer to the strange bit, so answers to the experience bit, only please :p).

Many many times. And as you I never concider a mix a failure until it goes into the garbage.

I once mixed a dark vapor tobacco that nearly blew my head off. After deluting it about 80% It was vapable but still not a tobacco taste I prefer. So I went to work with my flavor additives (AP,EM,TMP,Sacarlos etc) and RY4 type flavors (Creams, Caramels, chocoletes, vanillas etc...) and after about 20 flavor combinations came up with something I actually enjoyed. Keeping good notes on everything I did I can now reproduce a nice vape I use quite often.

Last edited:

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I wish I could mix at work, but I don't think the passengers on the bus I'm driving would be too happy :laugh:

It really surprised me the difference though, with just adding a bit more flavour and AG to the devil's brew.

Do you find you need to add sucralose to your cream and caramel mixes, so far I've not really needed any extra sweetness ?
Think I'd be really peed off, if I made my "holy grail" juice and didn't make notes for it.

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I took about 10 ml of some nasty "classic tobacco" and dumped 3 ml of vanilla swirl into it and while not the tastiest juice it is very vapable and great for refreshing my mouth on my favorites.

Sounds almost like a vaping mouthwash to help clean the palate :D

That's got me thinking now, mouthwash flavoured juice - could be a winner.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
Ok so just had to share...what at first tasted like burnt dirt lol after sitting a few days and adding to it little by little is almost pure joy...
It's a weak flavor but its there. It's the clove I've been craving...added a bit of clove oil and then some 50/50 vg/pg
It even crackles like a clove...guess it needed to steep as some have suggested....who would have guessed my nasty burnt dirt turns out to be a slice of faint clove heaven!

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
Ok so just had to share...what at first tasted like burnt dirt lol after sitting a few days and adding to it little by little is almost pure joy...
It's a weak flavor but its there. It's the clove I've been craving...added a bit of clove oil and then some 50/50 vg/pg
It even crackles like a clove...guess it needed to steep as some have suggested....who would have guessed my nasty burnt dirt turns out to be a slice of faint clove heaven!

That's what I like to see, another success story.

Do you think the mix needs a bit more clove to perfect it, or has it got to the point of being over flavoured, or maybe it needs something else adding to the mix??

So many questions :facepalm:

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
needs more clove flavoring not oil and might put a dab of cinnamon donno...don't want to overpower it but seems that most cloves I smoked aside from my normal brand was more a cinnamon taste....
have to find a balance with the clove oil as it gives it the numbing effect, the strong clove smell/taste and the crackling sound lol but the problem with using the oil is it gives it a perfumey taste...between the oil and flavoring then someone suggested using anise as well and that was one part of the missing flavor....i'm thinking cinnamon might be the last bit and of course a bit more clove cuz it's kinda of like a watered down taste atm...but it's finally hitting that clove craving my brain has been missing :) was very difficult to stop vaping last night lol

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
Been there and done exactly the same with the non-stop vaping. When I finally got my choco/caramel mix 99% right, filled up the Protank and sat down for a night of TV, after 3 hours started getting less vapour. Looked at the tank, I was running on empty, thought I had a leak, but no, I'd vaped it all - it was that good :)

Think I'm gonna have to try some cinnamon soon, never tried it in a vape, but I know a lot of people rave about it. You'll have to send me your clove recipe once it's perfected. Don't worry, I'll keep it secret ;-)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I took about 10 ml of some nasty "classic tobacco" and dumped 3 ml of vanilla swirl into it and while not the tastiest juice it is very vapable and great for refreshing my mouth on my favorites.

Is it nasty because it's to strong or nasty because it's not a flavor you prefer? Usually if it's to strong you can dilute it. I just made a batch of coffee flavor last night that was to strong. So I cut it with 50% pg/vg/nic and readjusted until it was to my liking.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
needs more clove flavoring not oil and might put a dab of cinnamon donno...don't want to overpower it but seems that most cloves I smoked aside from my normal brand was more a cinnamon taste....

Put 1 drop per 5ml of lemon juice in. That should make it pop. Expecially if the flavor is fading after a while of vaping.

Last edited:

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
Lol remembered this thread.

lmfao so in my attempt of not wasting juice I've saved some of my first attempts at DIY and use it as a base to tweak and make it vapeable.
At this point I have no clue what all is in it. But I can safely say nothing in it that should have made this flavor.
I now am vaping something that is along the lines of a butter popcorn flavored jellybean :) and it is surprisingly delicious.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
So here's my question, have you ever done a DIY juice that tastes totally different from how you expected it to taste ????

Actually just last night I was refilling my half empty clearo. I had my coffee mix in it and mistakenly grab my custom mixed ry4 bottle. I filled it and then realized I used the wrong ejuice. I thought to myself OH S*!t what did I do Oh well let me just try it any way. You know what! it was actually very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread