Status
Not open for further replies.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
I had a Hanna mod display that same error message. And as far as the batteries shorting and harming you Releaux DNA board that is just not going to happen. The Hanna was fixed for me by Evolv.

PS - you can buy new battery wraps for a couple of cents each. They are shrink tubing and you can get them in colors and clear. You slip them on trim to length and use a hair dryer to shrink them as tight as factory new. He!! of a lot cheaper than throwing the batteries away.
Why was it fixed if it doesn't harm the dna?

Well my worry is maybe something else caused this? Was yours caused by batteries as well?

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania

Well my worry is maybe something else caused this? Was yours caused by batteries as well?
@Aal_ mine relo did the same thing. it happens when you're firing the device and the batteries aren't making good contact. mine is still working flawlessly after displaying warranty service a few times. i had modify the tops, positive portion, of my lg hg2's to make sure they where making good contact.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA

There was nothing wrong with my batteries. It was just some kind of board failure. That said I don't know what the actual failure was Evolv while they are kind enough to take care of other Moder's problems they never tell you what they found wrong. They just send back a working unit. In this case I swapped my Hanna for an Evolv Ref. Unit. I volunteered for the swap. They wanted to keep the failed units for long term study to determine what happened and if their was anything on their end that should be changed.

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
@Aal_ mine relo did the same thing. it happens when you're firing the device and the batteries aren't making good contact. mine is still working flawlessly after displaying warranty service a few times. i had modify the tops, positive portion, of my lg hg2's to make sure they where making good contact.

If you were using the Reaulx (or however you spell it) that plastic ring they put on to prevent a reverse battery condition is just not the smartest invention I have ever seen plus it is renowned for tearing battery wraps. :2c:

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto

If you were using the Reaulx (or however you spell it) that plastic ring they put on to prevent a reverse battery condition is just not the smartest invention I have ever seen plus it is renowned for tearing battery wraps. :2c:

I think this is what happened. Well I will have to try again with another set of batteries, hopefully it would not happen again. Thanks guys.

On another note, do I have to change the batteries capacities in escribe? I'm using 25 r's. Should I calculate the watt hours exactly and put it there?

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
I think this is what happened. Well I will have to try again with another set of batteries, hopefully it would not happen again. Thanks guys.

On another note, do I have to change the batteries capacities in escribe? I'm using 25 r's. Should I calculate the watt hours exactly and put it there?
i'd say learn how to run battery analyzer. that will give the most accurate battery meter. by default, i think the relo comes with the watt hours set up for the sony vtc4. 25r's would be 27.75 wh's, but you'll never extract that much capacity with the dna. it'll be closer to 24 watt hours (usable). that's why i say run the analyzer for your self.

Proper use of Battery analyzer - DNA 200 Early Adopters Forum

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
i'd say learn how to run battery analyzer. that will give the most accurate battery meter. by default, i think the relo comes with the watt hours set up for the sony vtc4. 25r's would be 27.75 wh's, but you'll never extract that much capacity with the dna. it'll be closer to 24 watt hours (usable). that's why i say run the analyzer for your self.

Proper use of Battery analyzer - DNA 200 Early Adopters Forum
Was trying to avoid that :D. I should do it someday. Thanks.

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
Was trying to avoid that :D. I should do it someday. Thanks.
Not that critical. Only makes the battery icon and percentage readings more accurate. The tearing of the wraps is from using the pull ribbon while removing batteries. They wont rip if you push the battery toward the negative to clear the battery protection rings when removing.

Re wrap batteries with torn covers. Way too expensive to throw them out.

Reactions: VapingBad

Darkly spectr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2014
Belgium
That is because people are pulling the batteries out wrong.

when I first had the reuleaux I kept on getting batteries tearing but you are supposed to just pull out the batteries negative first.

battery three is easy just pull it out with your fingers. number two you just move the ribbon to the negative side and pull. the last battery I just pull out with my fingers.

0 wrap tearing.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
PS - you can buy new battery wraps for a couple of cents each. They are shrink tubing and you can get them in colors and clear. You slip them on trim to length and use a hair dryer to shrink them as tight as factory new. He!! of a lot cheaper than throwing the batteries away.

I picked up some wraps from RTD and tried twice with my wife's hair dryer and both times just would not shrink the end of the battery smoothly enough that I felt comfortable using them. First time was with lower heat and second on high, didn't seem to make any difference. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if the dryer might not be putting out enough heat? Any opinion? And knowing my wife and her hair care, I would think she got a good hair dryer :unsure:.

Sorry for getting away from pure DNA200 topic.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
I picked up some wraps from RTD and tried twice with my wife's hair dryer and both times just would not shrink the end of the battery smoothly enough that I felt comfortable using them. First time was with lower heat and second on high, didn't seem to make any difference. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if the dryer might not be putting out enough heat? Any opinion? And knowing my wife and her hair care, I would think she got a good hair dryer :unsure:.

Usually hair dryer is not what you should use with heat shrink although a lot use it successfully. It's a heat gun that is the correct way.

I use a torch from far away, but that was for shrink tubing wires, on batteries that would be risky me thinks :D

Reactions: KenD

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj

Do this at your own risk, use common sense & for god sake don't drop the battery.

Fire up a stove-top burner and take your battery & approach the burner from side and top with a good bit of distance above it - not slowly but deliberately controlled until the heat shrink wrap shrinks & immediately pull it away when it does. Repeat for other battery ends. Do it quickly and remember you are not trying to heat up the battery, just the heat shrink. So long as you do it quick and only get close enough for long enough to shrink the wrap, you should have no problem.

Reactions: OlderNDirt

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA

Howdy,

First I don't know what type wraps you picked up or their temperature rating this can vary. But in general a Hairdryer should work fine.
You might want to watch some YouTube videos on "How To".
Here are a couple and that last is how to do it with a torch should you absolutely have to.

Hope this helps.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Thanks for the responses and vids on re-wrapping batts. I did some research and watched some vids before attempting and had experience with shrink tubing for wiring. The first video here showed the guy lightly pressing down the ends of the battery while "hot" which I'll need to try. My biggest mistake was probably just expecting too much perfection on the ends and "seams" being perfectly smooth.

Thanks again and I'll give it another go.

ETA: One last question, if the black insulator ring is lost or broken, are they available or is it ok/safe to make one from something non-conductive?

Reactions: Tpat591

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
Thanks for the responses and vids on re-wrapping batts. I did some research and watched some vids before attempting and had experience with shrink tubing for wiring. The first video here showed the guy lightly pressing down the ends of the battery while "hot" which I'll need to try. My biggest mistake was probably just expecting too much perfection on the ends and "seams" being perfectly smooth.

Thanks again and I'll give it another go.

"O-D",

Sorry you are having difficulties with the skinning. A lot of stuff like Battery Wraps is like putting Wraps on Mods. Some folks will post pictures and it is perfection. I have tried stuff like Mod Wraps and it comes out looking like dog-poo and I will never try it again.

By the way you might want to pick up a junk hair dryer from a garage sale or even a cheapo from Walmart (if it doesn't do the job you can always return it ;) ). The good one your wife has just may have honest temperature control that is defeating you.

Also I am as concerned with looks as you apparently are but sometimes you just have to bite the OCD bullet and remember you are just making the battery safe and it can be very safe even if it doesn't look perfectly smooth and factory done.

By the way the Shrink Tubing sold for wire it generally thicker than the skins for batteries and also come in sever different temperature ranges. You might contact the vendor you got yours from and ask them if they think it should work with a hairdryer. There are just so many YouTube Vids using hair dryers I find it disturbing that you are having problems with yours and feel bad for recommending a hair dryer. I have even used hair dryers for wire shrink wrap and had pretty good success. Of course when out in the field I use a Zipo lighter... :facepalm:

Reactions: Tpat591

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj

1500 Watt Dual Temperature Heat Gun 572°/1112°

Reactions: HolmanGT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread