Do batteries have to match in dual bat box mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
The batteries should be married. In other words: Always use them together, always charge them together.

If you have a pair of old batteries that have always been together, you can use them together in a dual battery mod. If not, buy a new pair of batteries, and always keep/use/charge them together.

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
You say "a good idea to start with new identical batteries" . Is this a must though, that's what I'm trying to get at. I have know intention of buying one at the moment , but would just like to update my knowledge. Thanks for the part about rotating them though that's new to me.
OK it's not a must it's just sensible. If you don't use a married pair you will have one battery that works better than the other so the better battery will be charging the lesser battery making for less life between charges also putting extra stress on the battery making them last less time. Because batteries are fairly cheap it would be silly not to do it.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
Simply explained, the strongest battery likes to bully the weakest battery, so the weakest battery gets even weaker. The bigger the difference, the worse the bullying.

That's why you want to keep the batteries as identical as possible, for as long as possible. If you start out with two different batteries, you're starting off with a bad situation that will only get worse.

If the batteries are 99.999% equal, the difference in strength will not become significant until you've used them for quite a while.

Ok, this might be an over-simplification, but it's the best, simplest metaphor I can come up with right now.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
When using a device with that much power in front of your face any precaution taken is prudent.

Never pair batteries of different chemistry. Never pair batteries with different ratings. Always pair new batteries of the same model. Always use IMR or Hybrid high drain batteries rated for your device.

Of all the advice so far, this is the most crucial. NEVER pair batteries from different vendors, or with different chemistries! When marrying two batteries, buy them both at the same time, from the same vendor, and ALWAYS use them together; don't borrow one for your mech mod!

When batteries are used in series, the stronger one will bully the weak one.
When batteries are used in parallel, a weak one can "slack off" and make the stronger one do most of the work. So if you have 2 "20A" batteries, and expect to get anywhere near 40A from them, they better be very well matched; otherwise you might be drawing 35A from the strong one, and only 5A from the wimp. This is particularly important if you need the 2 batts to get the current you're looking for.

When used in series, the reason you rotate them is that the top one gets some heat from the coils; this lessens it's capacity (both on a single charge, and over time). Both batteries are supplying identical power, but the heating effect does make a measurable difference. BigCatDaddy is almost, but not quite correct; in series, both batteries are providing exactly the same "juice", but the heating lowers the battery efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread