do batteries usually come pre charged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
just bought my first box mod that requires batteries and not even sure if I bought the correct ones as far as MAH goes they were efest 3500 mah 18650 I know it takes 18650. if anyone want to chime in on that but I'm looking more at if they come pre charged to begin with and if not how long do they usually take to charge as my evic vt takes about 6 hours to fully charge give or take maybe less.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
yea I just read something about that a few minutes ago. if worst comes to shove I will buy another set from my brick and mortar I will check up on this in another thread if people have experience with them. I heard of people using them so I would have assumed they were okay to use
I use them, if you call it that, in my flashlights and my "old school" box mods that do 17-20 watts, and most times don't see anything above 12 watts of use. Anything that has the possibility of going over 50 watts, I'm out! I do not trust them to that extent, and that's pretty low power now days.

jacob bonilla

Sep 4, 2015
yea I think when my mod and charger actually come into state I will purchase some better batteries these ones don't seem to be cutting it for the way I want to use them.

I am also wondering I see 10amps and people say don't fire above 30watts but I am playing around with the ohms calculator inputting the coil resistance and amps and calculating the wattage but it often changes like say I go 0.2 resistance the wattage would be at 20 where as I go 0.5ohms the wattage would be 50. in this case would I still want to fire 30wats if not lower on the 0.5ohms or in general regardless the coil resistance?

could someone also possibly recommend some good brand batteries? I'm thinking of going 2000mah

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
just bought my first box mod that requires batteries and not even sure if I bought the correct ones as far as MAH goes they were efest 3500 mah 18650 I know it takes 18650.
You need to be looking at the CDR (continuous discharge rating) or amps. That should be your first consideration. Once you get that right, then look at mAh.
The mAh stands for milli-Ampere-hours and indicates how much electric charge the battery can provide. The higher the mAh, the longer your battery will last before it needs charging.
I am also wondering I see 10amps and people say don't fire above 30watts but I am playing around with the ohms calculator inputting the coil resistance and amps and calculating the wattage but it often changes like say I go 0.2 resistance the wattage would be at 20 where as I go 0.5ohms the wattage would be 50. in this case would I still want to fire 30wats if not lower on the 0.5ohms or in general regardless the coil resistance?
When using a regulated mod the coil resistance has nothing to do with the amp draw on your batteries. As long as the resistance is within the parameters of your mod, it will fire it. Wattage & minimum battery voltage are the numbers you need to be looking at to calculate battery current draw.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Actually this is the order of importance (to me) when deciding on which battery to buy.
  1. Manufacturer -- LG, Samsung or Sony for 18650
  2. CDR (amps) -- @Mooch bench test results => List of Battery Tests
  3. mAh
  4. Where I purchase
There are only a few battery manufacturers in the world who make their own "cells", including LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic & Sanyo.

All the other brands on the market buy the second and third tier cells from those manufacturers and re-wrap them under their own brand. These are "second and/or third tier cells" which did not meet the higher standards of the original manufacturer. In order to compete with the original manufacturers' batteries (first tier), these other companies feel obligated to publish specifications which are inflated to make them appear superior to those of the original manufacturer.

Do your research before you buy. Decide what battery to buy depending upon the application that you will use them.

BATTERIES - WHERE TO BUY

Only buy batteries from a reputable supplier (not ebay or Amazon) as there are many counterfeit batteries being sold. Here are several reputable battery suppliers in the US.
image-jpeg.542520

Reactions: jacob bonilla

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
oh man my brain is starting to hurt lol. I think I know what I am looking for now I basically want low mah and a higher amp battery for my needs. going to do more research and look/play with all the links thanks for the help

Regulated mod, the formula is pretty simple, basic "Watts Law"

Power (Wattage)/Voltage=Amps
For a regulated mod, we use the lowest battery charge in voltage for this formula, depending on the mod this can be between 3.2 to 3.6v per battery before the mod electronics give a low battery warning or shuts off, we call this cut off voltage, so using the lower range that most mods use, 3.2v

Single Battery Mod
30watts/3.2volts=9.375amps

Snow Wolf being a series dual battery mod, in a series voltage is doubled, but the mah and amps of a single battery are the same.
30watts/6.4volts (3.2volts X2)=4.6875amps

Fresh full charges as examples only, fresh charge with 18650 batteries is 4.2v
30watts/4.2volts=7.1429amps
30watts/8.4volts (4.2volts X2)=3.5714amps

hth for in the future, also link is my signature goes to a blog I've done explaining some other things, breakdowns by wattage category, links to Baditude and Mooch's blogs, and a second blog post I did explaining single, series, and parallel battery circuits.

+1 on asking questions as well

Reactions: jacob bonilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread