Do you ever wish...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleTa2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
You had a friend like you when you started vaping?

Like all of us probably do... I keep a stash of old tube mods, mechanical and vv, laying around for when someone I know wants to try vaping.

So, long story short my neighbor kid (he is 19) texts me the other day and wants to get a mod...so I have him come over. I throw a pair of coils in a mutation X that I have laying around and toss that on a nemesis with a VTC4. Wouldn't you know the screws kept breaking the 28ga Kanthal... so I pull out the 24 and make him some new coils. He is already impressed with the artistic wire coiling gizmo. 6 flawless coils came off of it in a manner of 5 minutes.

He wants to blow clouds...like all kids do (or think they do) so I wick up the 24ga duals with Shiseido and saturate it with my favorite DIY blend. He chews, so I figure a safe (I built it) low ohm build (.28) with 6mg should be OK for him.

He takes a rip and produces a pretty substantial cloud, and seems satisfied. So, I do what every Reonaught would do.. and I pass him my copper vein grand with a fresh AW 1600 in it with an Odin built to .5 that just happened to be wicked with the same wick and loaded with the same juice. He takes a rip from it and still exhausts a good amount of vapor and says "Geo, I think I got juice in my mouth." I calmly snatch my grand from his grasp and take a healthy pull... I am rewarded with my ADV flavor, paired with the TH I like, and the "right" amount of vapor. I reluctantly take the nemi back from him and I give that a toot also. I get lots more vapor but it tasted kinda flat and is hotter than I like.

I hand the nemi back to him and he vapes it... then he immediately grabs my grand and hits it again. After hitting my grand, he thinks he has juice in his mouth again.

Now the light bulb above my head is glowing...and blinking rapidly..when I say. "Connor, you do not have juice in your mouth... that my friend is called FLAVOR!"

Hmmm.. he pauses and thinks for a moment and says (he is 19 I remind you) "screw the clouds, I want THAT!" A trip to my tablet and I grab the phone and call our modmaster, not realizing it is 10pm in ME (sorry Rob)... While the phone is ringing I tell the kid.. "watch this, the owner of the company himself is going to answer the phone". We chatted for a few moments and asked if there were any LP Grand Blems in stock. Unfortunately there weren't... and I also talked to Rob about RM5 and RM6 Attys. I already know the BF Odins are out of stock at Loki and the kid wants a bigger atty than my RM2.

We hang up with Rob and after a few more minutes of chatting and showing him the Reosmods website I explained to him that Reo's definitely hold up to whatever abuse you can think of. I also told him he could buy that shiny tube or an IPV and throw a dripper on it for a few $ less. Connor politely thanked me for helping him and took the nemi, mutation X, VTC4, and a 10ml bottle of juice home with him.

Two days pass and I don't hear anything from him. I happened to see him today when I stopped by the house to chat with his folks (they are friends of ours also).
Then he said, "Hey, Geo... my copper vein grand and RM5 are supposed to be delivered on Monday.. I am so stoked!!!"

He must have ran home and placed the order that same night! I am sure he will give the nemi set up back...and Ill clean it all up and store it in my pretty drawers in my vape lounge until called upon again to help some other unsuspecting soul find a home in reoville.

Now, don't you wish that you had a reonaut friend when you started vaping...cuz I sure do!

Thanks!
Geo

RGLP4Lyfe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
PA
That's a GREAT story Geo, and I'm very happy you helped the kid out. Chewing is just as bad, so vaping may have saved his lips and mouth! That sounded like it was a great night! And I sure wish somebody would of done that for me. I also have 2 cabinets full of tubes and useless atties and ugly box mods that never see daylight because of me discovering bottom feeding!

-Mark

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
I do, I have one friend in person. Most people my age (23 years old) like to party and drink and all of that nonsense. This friend, she's in the Army. She has an iStick and Atlantis tank. So it's nice when she comes home and we can vape and just enjoy it. Even though that Atlantis eats juice and I had to fill it up twice for her since she was driving. but she tried the Reo, loves the squonking of it, but loves tanks where it's just fill and forget about it for a couple hours.

I don't have, but one setup now. I'm happy to let people use mine though if they're curious.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
I have thought of this so many times. I did not even know another vaper when I took the plunge. ...... away quite a bit of money over the first year or so. Sure could have used a mentor.
Never really did settle in and start spending my money sensibly until I found the REO folks. When you live out in the boondocks in Marlboro Country, it's kind of tough to learn about vaping. Not so much any more but 5 years ago, it was a different story. Vaping was in its fledgling stages and we were all making it up as we went along. Just happy that we had pioneers like Robert with the foresight to lead us into the turn-key operation that we REOnauts enjoy today.:)

57chilicat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2011
McKinney, TX
I only have one friend locally who vapes and she is a REO user! I just got mine on Wednesday and she came over Friday to walk me through the setup! It is awesome to have someone who understands vaping! I am working hard on convincing my sons and daughter in law to give vaping a try. It is difficult because for years our family gatherings mainly were on the back patio with all of us smoking like trains! I am one plus years into vaping and they all still smoke, so tomorrow at the Easter gathering on the patio, I will be pulling out my new REO! Maybe this will finally convince them like it did your neighbor!

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
I wish I'd had a Vaping mentor so badly I actually got a job at a vape shop to try to give good advice to people ...the kind of advice I only really got after I joined this forum a year ago. Now of course my store doesn't sell REO, but I do try my best to cut through the bull and straight-talk as much as possible. I don't work on commission and my store doesn't need me to do any high-pressure sales, so when I give advice my customers know I genuinely only have their best interests in mind.

But as for me, I reckon I've given enough $$$ to the Vaping industry for at least the next several years, and I'm ready to settle down with a couple (or six) of devices that will stay with me through the fads and inevitable manufacturing defects. I've already shown my REO to my coworkers as I think some of them are also experiencing buyer's fatigue. Why not invest in something that isn't always in a semi-trial stage? I'm ready for an Ol' Reliable and I hope with my REO I've found it.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Right on :thumbs:
I would love to have a friend that vapes.
I started 3 years ago, and to this day I still don't know anyone who vapes.
We finally got a small vape shop in town, so I do have someone who talks my language.
Problem is, by the time the shop opened, I had everything I needed to be independent, and actually knew more about vaping than they did :blush:
ECF is really my one and only vape connection.... it's where I get help, and have found some friends.

Last edited:

JamezC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Arkansas
I definitely wish I did. When I started vaping a few years ago, I knew no one besides me that vaped, and at that time, there were no local vape shops nearby either. Like Slots, by the time vape shops did begin opening in my area...I had no need to go in one. I was pretty knowledgeable, I had my preferred vendors, etc.

I do actually have one friend who (kind of) started vaping, but he doesn't take any of my advice, and gets cheap gear from a local B&M and then complains to me when they either work poorly or just straight up stop working :facepalm:

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
I definitely wish I did. When I started vaping a few years ago, I knew no one besides me that vaped, and at that time, there were no local vape shops nearby either. Like Slots, by the time vape shops did begin opening in my area...I had no need to go in one. I was pretty knowledgeable, I had my preferred vendors, etc.

I do actually have one friend who (kind of) started vaping, but he doesn't take any of my advice, and gets cheap gear from a local B&M and then complains to me when they either work poorly or just straight up stop working :facepalm:
When I was a new newb I didn't know what was "cheap gear" vs a decent investment...heck, one of my local shops sold me a SMOK 1300mAh spinner (chronicled in my first post on ECF) for $60.00. For all I knew I was buying something made by NASA. Granted, I didn't have a good friend like you to steer me in the right direction. But even with my customers, as earnest and honest as I (hope I) am, getting someone who isn't sure he or she is even ready to commit to TRY to quit to buy a device that's more expensive (granted, by B&M standards) than an Evod is a feat. I could beg and plead with them trying to convince them that I'll be seeing them again in a month for an upgrade, but it's a hard sell unless someone is genuinely psychologically all-in.

JamezC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Arkansas
But even with my customers, as earnest and honest as I (hope I) am, getting someone who isn't sure he or she is even ready to commit to TRY to quit to buy a device that's more expensive (granted, by B&M standards) than an Evod is a feat. I could beg and plead with them trying to convince them that I'll be seeing them again in a month for an upgrade, but it's a hard sell unless someone is genuinely psychologically all-in.

Exactly, I think that's the hardest part about trying to convert a smoker over to vaping. They don't know if vaping will work for them, and they don't want to make a huge investment in something they're not sure of, so they stick with something cheap (which isn't always the best choice). I've recommended him more affordable setups which are pretty much fill and go, but it just goes in one ear and out the other lol.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
Exactly, I think that's the hardest part about trying to convert a smoker over to vaping. They don't know if vaping will work for them, and they don't want to make a huge investment in something they're not sure of, so they stick with something cheap (which isn't always the best choice). I've recommended him more affordable setups which are pretty much fill and go, but it just goes in one ear and out the other lol.

Well hey, you try. One thing I've taken out of my vocabulary (and facial expression catalogue) is "I told you so." Generally it's already written on their faces they wish they'd made a better first investment. But I had to start with cheapo gear to get my feet wet so if someone else wants to do the same, I reckon it's par.

What gets me is when someone has a problem over and over and over again with the same stuff and they'd rather "master" something that (let's be honest here) has inherent build inadequacies than admit that a better tank/battery might be worth the cost.

JamezC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Arkansas
Well hey, you try. One thing I've taken out of my vocabulary (and facial expression catalogue) is "I told you so." Generally it's already written on their faces they wish they'd made a better first investment. But I had to start with cheapo gear to get my feet wet so if someone else wants to do the same, I reckon it's par.

What gets me is when someone has a problem over and over and over again with the same stuff and they'd rather "master" something that (let's be honest here) has inherent build inadequacies than admit that a better tank/battery might be worth the cost.

If they want to start off with something cheap to get their feet wet that's fine, I mean I started with cheap cigalikes and then moved to ego batteries with CE5s lol, and while they weren't great, I could see that vaping had a lot of potential, so I branched out into other gear.

And yeah...I think some people are just stubborn and don't want to admit they made a bad purchase, so they wrestle with it to try and make it work.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Right on :thumbs:
I would love to have a friend that vapes.
I started 3 years ago, and to this day I still don't know anyone who vapes.
We finally got a small vape shop in town, so I do have someone who talks my language.
Problem is, by the time the shop opened, I had everything I needed to be independent, and actually knew more about vaping than they did :blush:
ECF is really my one and only vape connection.... it's where I get help, and have found some friends.

this is me in a nutshell! My SIL told me about vaping, and let me try a disposable she'd gotten, but she really doesn't vape much. She tries it once in awhile, and so does my nephew, but they both still mostly smoke. SIL is convinced she can't quit smoking. (even though she had a lung biopsy today). My dil's mom has tried vaping, but can't seem to stick with it. Hoping I can make her some juice that she'll like enough to stick with it. I wouldn't have made it if I hadn't found ECF but it would have been soooooooo nice to have an actual person there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread