Do you use unprotected batteris in your Mod? I am thinking about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob4092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
USA
Just ordered my very first Mechanical Mod. It is the Bolt from fast tech. I don't have any protected 18650 batteries and wasn't planning on ordering any. Really don't need anymore batteries laying around. Am I taking to much risk of this exploding on me? They are really nothing more than a battery compartment. Do you use unprotected batteries? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This depends upon your definition of "Un-protected".

If you mean un-protected Li Ion batteries, NO! You should never use an un-protected Li Ion battery in a mechanical mod. Mechanical mods have zero protection built into the mod. YOU are the protection - the protection depends upon your better judgement and common sense. Regulated mods that use processors to increase voltage have built-in protection to make them safer.

IMR (Li Mn safe chemistry) are sometimes erroneously called un-protected, too. These use a safer chemistry not requiring a protected circuit. IMR batteries are what are currently recommended to be used in all mods, regulated or mechanical, over protected Li Ion. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html)

Protected batteries are Li Ion batteries with built-in protected circuits, however should the simple circuit fail, then the battery can fail, too. Un-protected batteries are NEVER recommended. (resource:

Li Ion battery chemistry is very unstable and volatile (flamable) if stressed. Battery failure can lead to venting hot flames and extreme pressure within the mod. A collapsable hot spring and vent holes provide little safety as a failing battery can swell, blocking off venting of the safety holes in the mod.

IMR batteries can fail and vent, too. However, their chemistry allows them to be more tolerable to stress and less likely to vent in flame or extreme pressure. This IMR battery recently failed in a backpack, probably because it made connection with another battery in the pocket. Luckily it was an IMR and not a Li Ion battery as there was no flame involved.

IMR_battery_post-venting.jpg http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/472990-hi-all-shaken-up-provari-aw-18490-battery-owner.html

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

Last edited:

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Just ordered my very first Mechanical Mod. It is the Bolt from Fast Tech. I don't have any protected 18650 batteries and wasn't planning on ordering any. Really don't need anymore batteries laying around. Am I taking to much risk of this exploding on me? They are really nothing more than a battery compartment. Do you use unprotected batteries? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care if they we $.02 a piece with free freight, I PERSONALLY would not use them. I only use protected batteries myself. JMHO

Vape On
:vapor:

BDUAres

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
Texas, USA & London, UK
As long as you are not going drastically sub-ohm there shouldn't be any problems. Will just be the 3.7-4.1 volts at normal wattage. I use 1.5-2 ohm heads and have not had any problems with my unprotected batteries.

However - there is always the risk of your firing button being depressed in your pocket and the thing heating up, then all bets are off with an unprotected battery. Hence my replacing the locking ring on my firing button with a compression cap to completely cover it and make 100% certain my firing button will not get pressed unless I take the cap off.

Last edited:

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
With a mechanical, I think the safest route is a high quality protected battery or a high quality IMR with perhaps a fuse. The protection circuits on the higher quality batteries (Panasonic's) are unlikely to fail. Protected batteries also generally have a higher capacity (mAh rating).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread